Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

Are performance gear sets "supposed" to make noise?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 11:17 AM
YO-EL
Race Director

Received 873 Likes on 436 Posts

Default Are performance gear sets "supposed" to make noise?

I'm hearing it both ways..

Some say yes & its normal, others say not if they're set up right..

Whats the TRUE deal?
Old 04-12-2009, 11:36 AM
TPIShark
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

My 2 cents-

I've heard from many folks over the years that even properly set up Richmond gears are notoriously noisy. The beefed-up unit I bought at Carlisle a while back was supposedly set up by a race shop, for use in a road course car. It is quite noisy on deceleration. I had it checked by an old-school guru in my neighborhood, who assured me it was perfect. Three seasons later, no issues. Bottom line is, noise can mean problems, but if it specs'-out, is nothing to be too worried about.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:01 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by TPIShark
My 2 cents-

I've heard from many folks over the years that even properly set up Richmond gears are notoriously noisy. The beefed-up unit I bought at Carlisle a while back was supposedly set up by a race shop, for use in a road course car. It is quite noisy on deceleration. I had it checked by an old-school guru in my neighborhood, who assured me it was perfect. Three seasons later, no issues. Bottom line is, noise can mean problems, but if it specs'-out, is nothing to be too worried about.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:09 PM
YO-EL
Race Director

Mine sounds like a school bus..

Big time drone on coast/decel... also present on light acceleration.

(Its not a high pitched whine...)

And its fairly loud.. you don't need to "listen" for it, its definitely "there.."
Old 04-12-2009, 12:23 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

even if its set right, i would get rid of them and get a diferent set, they shouldnt make noise
Old 04-12-2009, 12:41 PM
INSANITY
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine always made noise, on light acceleration and deceleration......
I mean like youd hear it with the radio up and my loud exhaust.... Had it with like 3 different rears.....
Old 04-12-2009, 03:34 PM
K RIPPER
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many years ago worriexd about same thing some gears made lots of noise some less as the pinion gear gets smaller and ring gear gets bigger they tend to get noisy,I too talked to an old time mechanic/drag racer he told me to stand past the finish line and listen to how many cars make a tremendous amount of noise ,also said set up right should be ok ,but added stock ratio (HARD)street gears should be quiet.Stand at the top end, lots of guys kill the motor just past the lights then you can really hear 'em, think they're noisy in the car
Old 04-12-2009, 06:18 PM
0rodney@rpmtransmissions
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by YO-EL

Whats the TRUE deal?
No Ellis its NOT normal, Yes they were set-up right. What you have is a defective ring and pinion gear that was manufactured by Motive Gear.
We the shops that build differentials using these gears know that there is a possibility that this will happen. Every shop that builds these units and uses these ring and pinion sets will tell you that they have had this happen to them. I have personally contacted Motive and even had gears sets replaced under warranty from this because of noise. If a differential is set-up improperly it will result in gear whine and eventually result in gear failure. I assure you that your differnetial was set-up properly and will call you Monday personally to further discuss.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:11 PM
YO-EL
Race Director

I'll side with Rodney on this one, as he is the true expert..

Funny how people still have varying opinions on this..
Old 04-12-2009, 09:04 PM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 308 Likes on 138 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

The only gear that may whine when set up correctly, that I know of, are the Richmonds...otherwise there is a set up or defect problem...I always use Yukon gears for Randy's and have never had a problem so far...
Old 04-12-2009, 09:37 PM
0rodney@rpmtransmissions
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dice
The only gear that may whine when set up correctly, that I know of, are the Richmonds...otherwise there is a set up or defect problem...I always use Yukon gears for Randy's and have never had a problem so far...
I have always used the joke that you can hear Richmonds whining when you open the box. That being said Richmond still makes a great purpose gear set ,by that I mean drag racing,off roading,extreme duty,etc.. gear sets.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:02 PM
2000whitec5
Burning Brakes

Location: 10.54 @ 129 346 N/A A4 Record 9.78 @ 139+ on 150 shot

you should speak with Ellis Gray, he has gone through 4 rears in the past 12 months
Old 04-12-2009, 11:05 PM
sixspdvet
Pro

El, No they are not good... I had the same promblem, gears were bad. Julio set me up with a different set and they don't make any noise..

Ernie
Old 04-13-2009, 11:12 AM
jadams67
Instructor

I use Richmond Pro-Gear sets in my race cars, and they make noise on deceleration, especially in neutral (my stock eliminator sees neutral after the lights). The lower the ratio, the more noise they made. My 6:00 gears sounded like a crop duster was chasing me and did a flyby directly over my head, then pulled up into the clouds. What I mean is the whine was speed sensitive, the sound would not be there, then come and go as it passed its resonating speed. I have removed and reused many sets and seen no defects, so I just take it as typical. But the follow up by that guy Rodney is excellent service, post the end result.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:34 PM
WEB AIR
Pro

Originally Posted by rodney@rpmtransmissions
No Ellis its NOT normal, Yes they were set-up right. What you have is a defective ring and pinion gear that was manufactured by Motive Gear.
We the shops that build differentials using these gears know that there is a possibility that this will happen. Every shop that builds these units and uses these ring and pinion sets will tell you that they have had this happen to them. I have personally contacted Motive and even had gears sets replaced under warranty from this because of noise. If a differential is set-up improperly it will result in gear whine and eventually result in gear failure. I assure you that your differnetial was set-up properly and will call you Monday personally to further discuss.
Sounds like you built the unit. That's dam- nice of you to step up like you just did. Wish we had more guys like you. You da man!
Old 04-13-2009, 01:34 PM
Chris@East Coast Supercharging
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Whats the TRUE deal?
The guys that say C5/C6 gears are supposed to wine are the ones who dont know how to set them up..

end thread/
Old 04-13-2009, 01:35 PM
Chris@East Coast Supercharging
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by rodney@rpmtransmissions
We too have had a few bad sets over the years. It happens from time to time.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:08 PM
RacerX70CC
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My Richmond Pro Gear 5.14's howl like a banshee under decel.. checked the pattern on them after I set them up.. dead-on.

15 years and thousands of passes later, they're still in the car.

I saw too many R&P failures with high HP/transbrake equipped cars that had street gears in them, so I went with Pro Gears.. and never looked back.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:40 PM
u luz
Racer

I'll side with Rodney on this one, as he is the true expert..

Funny how people still have varying opinions on this..
ive got 3.90s in my my vette and they sound like stock.ive got gears in my 9inch in my camaro and they sound stock.ive had a new set in my caddy sound like stock.....they should not make noise!! but i did get a bad set of motive gears in my vette the first time and it drove me nutz.

Get notified of new replies

To Are performance gear sets "supposed" to make noise?

Quick Reply: Are performance gear sets "supposed" to make noise?