Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

GTO Drag Pack Info Slicks Skinnies Spares

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 08:07 AM
RMS-MAN
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default GTO Drag Pack Info Slicks Skinnies Spares

Update Specs:
Front GTO spare with 1.25" adaptor plate & 17" M&H skinny & wheel weights was 28lbs.
Rear Chrome Repo Thinspoke 17x9.5 with MT ET Street 26x11.5x17 & wheel weights was 44lbs.

For a reference I weighed a CCW drag pack also.
Front CCW classic polished with 17" M&H skinny & wheel weights was 30lbs.
Rear CCW classic polished 16x11 with M&H 26x13x16 slick with wheel weights was 40lbs.

This is for all the guys that try to search for good pics and info on making their own drag pack using the GTO spares. When I was searching it was tough finding good pics and info. So, I thought I would help out with what I found and did.

My new setup works really well. Cut a 1.53 60 foot so far.
Update: I've now cut a 1.42 60 foot 13psi hot and nice burnout.

Front GTO spares 17x4 Mounted M&H 17x4.5 Skinnies. *Going to chrome the rims when I tear the car back apart for my cage install.*
Rear Reproduction Chrome Thinspokes 17x9.5 with MT ET Streets 17x11.5x26

Tips & Tweaks:
The M&H skinnies are 26" tall and fit the fenders similar to a stock sized tire. The MT ET Streets are actually 26.5" tall and fit great and I never rubbed or bottom out on the fender liners and my vette is low compared to most.

I ran the thinspokes because I thought they matched the look of the spares the best and I can still dead hook with the sidewall I get on the 17" slick.

I grinded the letters off the face of the spokes on the gto spares for a cleaner look and so that tech wouldn't give me a hard time.

I didn't like the look of the horrible offset just bolting the spares on. The fenders were hanging so far out past the tires it just didn't look right at all. I found a company in California that sells billet wheel adapters with grade 8 studs and lugs that can make what ever size you need. Ordered 1.25" thickness with 5x4.75" hub bolt pattern.
Even though the GTO rim is a 5x120mm lug bolt pattern these will still torque down just fine.

**For those that are interested in the billet wheel adapters pm me and I'll give you the info of the guys that made them. The price was only $60 shipped and the quality looked top notch and I've not had any issues running them.

If not running adpaters you will need to lightly grind the inner hub of the spare to fit over the vette hub. The vette lugs will clear the spares, but with a very small difference in the bolt pattern. I felt once they were bolted down it was a non-issue, but I still ran the adaptors and like that method the most.

I just used black spray paint to hit inside the hubs since there are no center caps and that helped give it a cleaner look. *Once I chrome the spares I will use the "chrome-like spray paint" inside the hubs to help match it again.*

I used O'Reilly brand brake cleaner on a rag to clean off the white paint that's stenciled over M/T on the slicks since I'm running them on the street. I wanted that subtle look if I'm just rolling by you don't think I'm sitting on slicks. Especially once I chrome the gto spares to match the chrome thinspokes better.

I've tried the bias ply slicks with radials up front before and nearly wrecked my vette. Car was swerving all the way down the track and nearly lost driving back to the shop. I'll never make that mistake again.

I'm running 40psi hot in the front skinnies and around 13-14psi hot in the slicks. Good track prep and a very short burnout compared to my drag radial burnouts and they dead hook and run straight as an arrow.

I drove from the shop to the track 15 miles with 22psi in the slicks and the vette was very predictable on the roads even at freeway speeds+. Then I aired them back up before I left the track and drove home 17 miles. I was very surprised at how streetable this setup is. Just what I was hoping for.

----------------------------------

Next post will include the pics from all the other threads I searched.

Last edited by RMS-MAN; 08-09-2009 at 09:27 AM.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:11 AM
RMS-MAN
Burning Brakes

Here are the Goodyear skinnies the only drawback was that they are only 22" tall and drop the car to the ground and just don't look right to me.

Here you can see how tucked in the gto spare is when not running a adapter. I didn't like the look.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:54 AM
REDGAR
Team Owner

Cruise-In II & IV Veteran
CI VI Drag Champ!

Good info.
Thanks for posting
Old 04-01-2009, 10:07 AM
Vetter 1
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm....
Old 04-01-2009, 12:05 PM
rattt g
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

you could alway have your stock wheel cut down to 4"
Old 04-01-2009, 03:41 PM
Vetter 1
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rattt g
You must be reading my mind. Pricey but slick.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:49 PM
RMS-MAN
Burning Brakes

You must be reading my mind. Pricey but slick.
I already tried that and talked with the guys from Weldcraft and gave them pics and specs of the stock thinspokes and he said he could not cut them down that narrow hence the reason I went with the gto spares instead.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:54 PM
mackeyred96
Team Owner

Location: Former NCM Drag Racing coordinator, National director Corvette Challenge Spring Hill, Tennessee: Whiting, New Jersey
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Joshua, just my opinion but i don't like adapters on any wheel combination, i still believe it put too much stress on the wheel bearings as it changes the wheel plain, and I'm still not sure of the mph limits on those wheels. You have a nice looking car why not do it right and get the correct rotors and calibers and put on a 15" wheel and tire before someone gets hurt.

John
Old 04-01-2009, 06:06 PM
rattt g
Melting Slicks

it can be done
Old 04-01-2009, 07:36 PM
Eric Fischer
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

it can be done
Looks awesome! Details, please?
Old 04-01-2009, 08:15 PM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by Eric Fischer
Looks awesome! Details, please?
Old 04-01-2009, 08:46 PM
rattt g
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Capthuff
just a stock front wheel cut down to 4" with a 18" m/t sportsman
radial front runner
Old 04-01-2009, 08:54 PM
A95Y
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

lonniesplace dot com will narrow anything you have. It's a pretty neat site to visit.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:46 AM
RMS-MAN
Burning Brakes

mackeyred96 Joshua, just my opinion but i don't like adapters on any wheel combination, i still believe it put too much stress on the wheel bearings as it changes the wheel plain, and I'm still not sure of the mph limits on those wheels. You have a nice looking car why not do it right and get the correct rotors and calibers and put on a 15" wheel and tire before someone gets hurt.

John
What you call "correct rotors & calipers" I assume you mean the C5 rears brakes mounted on the front, that scares me more than anything else. I want more brake performance as it is and downsizing to a rear brake setup would be a bigger risk in my opinion.

I have not found any threads reporting the gto rims coming apart at any speeds. I've used different wheel adapters on different car for years without problems. Now if I was doing all this and running them on the street with the factory spare tire I would expect someone to slap me up side the head.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:38 AM
mackeyred96
Team Owner

Location: Former NCM Drag Racing coordinator, National director Corvette Challenge Spring Hill, Tennessee: Whiting, New Jersey
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by RMS-MAN
What you call "correct rotors & calipers" I assume you mean the C5 rears brakes mounted on the front, that scares me more than anything else. I want more brake performance as it is and downsizing to a rear brake setup would be a bigger risk in my opinion.

I have not found any threads reporting the gto rims coming apart at any speeds. I've used different wheel adapters on different car for years without problems. Now if I was doing all this and running them on the street with the factory spare tire I would expect someone to slap me up side the head.
Good luck with what your doing, I just hope no one gets hurt.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:09 PM
A95Y
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I use 8.5" C5 convertible magnesium front wheels for the rear as I believe they are the lightest, but do not remember the weight. They work good with E.T. streets. YMMV
Old 04-03-2009, 07:40 AM
danielf
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Need More Details

Originally Posted by cheetah
lonniesplace dot com will narrow anything you have. It's a pretty neat site to visit.
I have tried to find the website but no luck . Does any one have an address or phone number please. Thanks Dan

Get notified of new replies

To GTO Drag Pack Info Slicks Skinnies Spares

Old 04-03-2009, 11:53 AM
A95Y
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by danielf
I have tried to find the website but no luck . Does any one have an address or phone number please. Thanks Dan
You're right. That address is no good. I don't know what happened. Here is his last email address that I have.

lonspl@comcast.net
Old 04-03-2009, 01:27 PM
rattt g
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by danielf
wheel works did mine
Old 04-03-2009, 10:30 PM
A95Y
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

That email address is good. I emailed him and told him his site didn't work and he was not aware of the problem. He did respond to the email.

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: GTO Drag Pack Info Slicks Skinnies Spares