Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

'85 LT1 TH400 conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 05:43 PM
RacerX70CC
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default '85 LT1 TH400 conversion

Posted over in C4 Tech as well, but thought the actual racers here might appreciate this.

For those who know this car (Blackbird), it's our shop "test bed" for different things. I decided to make a dual purpose streeter out of it. Swapping the heavy-assed Center Line wheels for some Greg Weld Motorsport big 'n littles, the decision was to make it more drag race oriented. Pic as it looks with its new wheels:

For power, I decided to try something a little different: put a later style LT1 (the one from my '96) into my '85 to replace its very tired L98. The '85 already had a carb conversion done (with adjustable plate nitrous, of course), so we swapped to a carbed intake with MSD billet distributor:

Pulled the 4+3 manual trans in favor of an automatic - decided to use a TH400 for reliability over a 700R4 (and a 3600 stall nitrous converter to help launch capability). A conversion bracket was fabricated to attach to the existing C-beam:

Closeup of bracket:

Did a little tunnel surgery to fit the B&M shifter, to help it fit within the confines of the stock console. Here's how we did it:

The result with the console back in place:

A closeup, also showing the dual function switches for the cooling fans and electric water pump (down for "auto"-keyed power, up for "manual" battery hot for between rounds cooling):

All that's left is to fabricate the gauge cluster for the Auto Meter Pro Comp UltraLites.

(and maybe drive the damned thing one of these days!)
Old 03-24-2009, 06:20 PM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 309 Likes on 139 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Real nice work, Robert...should be a good runner...I dropped my converter off at FTI today for a refresh and my 400 at Ken's in Orlando to get freshened up as well...
Old 03-24-2009, 07:24 PM
REDC4CORVETTE
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice install .Did you have to cut the tunnel to clear the bell housing?
Do you have a pic of the top of the c-beam?
Old 03-24-2009, 08:17 PM
mackeyred96
Team Owner

Location: Former NCM Drag Racing coordinator, National director Corvette Challenge Spring Hill, Tennessee: Whiting, New Jersey
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Interesting choise of carbs. Nice conversion.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:51 PM
REDC4CORVETTE
Safety Car

I was going to say something about that carb.If you can get one of those to work on a chevy more power to you.
Change to a holley and watch the motor come alive.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:15 PM
Eric Fischer
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Cool car,

For some reason I thought it was leading up to a Car is For Sale thread, lol.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:09 PM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 309 Likes on 139 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Originally Posted by REDC4CORVETTE
I was going to say something about that carb.If you can get one of those to work on a chevy more power to you.
Except for my Camaro...the Holley 750 double pumper was awful and the car came alive when we put in an Edelbrock...go figure...
Old 03-25-2009, 08:33 AM
RacerX70CC
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It was what I had on the other engine... worked alright, plus all the AN lines were built for it. In all likelyhood a Holley will find its way on sooner or later

As far as cutting the tunnel... this was a 4+3 manual trans car, so the tunnel on the LH side protruded in for the shift linkage (really stupid design, IMO), which may have interfered a bit. That tunnel section was removed primarily for the shifter mounting, but the bellhousing cleared with no trouble. An automatic equipped model would likely need no tunnel mods, save for lowering an aftermarket shifter.

No pics of the top of the C-beam, sorry (plenty of clearance, tho)

Last edited by RacerX70CC; 03-25-2009 at 08:39 AM.
Old 01-14-2015, 05:50 AM
Slow86vette
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I'm bringing this up from the dead, if you have any information about how you got VSS to work I would like to know aswell since I have an 86 4+3 car that I'm going 400 on but will be turbo LS.. Anything to make this a more understood process would be great since I will be starting the project in a couple months. Thanks in advance
Old 01-14-2015, 06:27 AM
REDC4CORVETTE
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Slow86vette
So I'm bringing this up from the dead, if you have any information about how you got VSS to work I would like to know aswell since I have an 86 4+3 car that I'm going 400 on but will be turbo LS.. Anything to make this a more understood process would be great since I will be starting the project in a couple months. Thanks in advance
I dumped it on mine when I went to a th 400 .I bought an electric spedo that I got from Summit racing ,it works off magnets on the drive shaft.
Once you go to a 400 you will be changing the car alot and it will become a nice ticket machine,I was running over 700 hp and after awhile I pulled it off the street .I also installed a 4 link.I also had to install a universal shifter and a 5500 tq converter.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:32 AM
Slow86vette
Instructor

I dumped it on mine when I went to a th 400 .I bought an electric spedo that I got from Summit racing ,it works off magnets on the drive shaft.
Once you go to a 400 you will be changing the car alot and it will become a nice ticket machine,I was running over 700 hp and after awhile I pulled it off the street .I also installed a 4 link.I also had to install a universal shifter and a 5500 tq converter.
Yes my plans are 600 whp turned down and 800 on kill, could you link me to one of those electric speedos? I'll need an aftermarket speedo or cluster for this won't i?
Old 01-14-2015, 05:56 PM
REDC4CORVETTE
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Slow86vette
Yes my plans are 600 whp turned down and 800 on kill, could you link me to one of those electric speedos? I'll need an aftermarket speedo or cluster for this won't i?
http://vettaid.com/ReplacementGauges...ePackages.aspx

I have to look up the spedo at Summit but this may give you a clue.

http://www.summitracing.com/search?S...c%20spedometer

It's just a game of money!!

Last edited by REDC4CORVETTE; 01-14-2015 at 06:04 PM.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:15 PM
Slow86vette
Instructor

http://vettaid.com/ReplacementGauges...ePackages.aspx

I have to look up the spedo at Summit but this may give you a clue.

http://www.summitracing.com/search?S...c%20spedometer

It's just a game of money!!
Oh yeah!! Haha I definitely understand it just being money and a lot of it haha. Get all your big parts and get your price, then double it and that's what the small stuff will make it. It's just gonna keep adding up anytime you do anything with it. I may not even run a speedo, I would like to drive it a bit on the street but I guess I can just see what my rpms should be going any speed limit from 35-50 bc I won't be driving interstate unless I'm...going to Mexico
Old 01-18-2015, 05:10 PM
holley505
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

What's up Fuzzy and Red... you guys going to the track on the 30th of January?

Get notified of new replies

To '85 LT1 TH400 conversion

Quick Reply: '85 LT1 TH400 conversion