Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

Orlando Speed World 9/20/08

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 08:03 AM
Glensgages
Race Director

Received 62 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Orlando Speed World 9/20/08

a few Corvette racers gathered at Orlando Speed World Dragway for the season-finale of the 2008 SUMMIT POINTS SERIES on 20 September, conducted as an 1/8-mile race

unknown C5 lined-up with a newer GTO

this female competitor went a few rounds with a torque converter that was giving-up the fight

bad-azzed C2 ran well in the 5s

Fuzzy Dice towed his Camaro, making his 2nd attempt at getting data from his new car

trying to stay-cool in the Staging Lanes

warming the 30" HOOSIERS

again plauged by over-heating and electrical gremlins (shift-light, fuel-pump, blown fuses), the Camaro was pushed onto the trailer before Eliminations began

the brain-trust congregates at the Fuzzy Dice Hospitality Suite afterwards, including the President of the Cape Canaveral Corvette Club with his Black Z06 (foreground)

making his first start since February, Beach Dude made the drive across the state, running .030/8.52, .018/8.46 and .001/8.46 in time-shots

after breaking-out with a superior .016/8.41 run in Round #1, he bought-back, and lost with a foul-start and an 8.421 on his 8.41 dial

Red69 prepares for his 1st practice run in his warmed-over L-82/1979 hatch-back C3, and had .045 and .001 RT

in Eliminations, he continually mowed-down the Tree with lights in the Oh-Twenties & Oh-Teens while running very-close to his dial-in (9.13-9.09) against much-quicker competitors, drew the odd-lot bye-run with 7 cars remaining (.009 RT & 9.090 on a 9.09 dial), and lost in the Semis to the eventual Winner with a -.003 RT:
although spotless, it is neither flashy, loud, or fast - - -
all it does is win Rounds!
Old 09-21-2008, 09:19 AM
Beach Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Good to see you guy's again, felt good to be in the staging lanes also, been a long time, Mike did extremely well (Congrats), Fuzzy, hope you get the gremlins worked out. Thanks for the write up Glen, pulled into the driveway at 2:08 am.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:33 AM
Glensgages
Race Director

Received 62 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Beach Dude
Good to see you guy's again, felt good to be in the staging lanes also, been a long time, Mike did extremely well (Congrats), Fuzzy, hope you get the gremlins worked out. Thanks for the write up, pulled into the driveway at 2:08 am.
..... I beat you by an hour..... checked the mail-box, saw that I received an order for gages/templates, cannon-balled a 2-litre Diet Pepsi, went to the shop, got 'em fabricated & packaged-up by 5:30 AM, loaded the pix, wrote the story, had breakfast, started packing stuff for moving-day tomorrow:
I'll get caught-up on my sleep when they screw me into the ground.

Old 09-21-2008, 11:36 AM
Red 69
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Glen, thanks for taking the time for photos and the write-up on the last Summit event at Orlando 2008. It was good to see you and RJ again! It was also disappointing to find the gremilins haven't left Fuzzy's car yet. After all he has been through, I was hoping to see him in the action.

BTW...Jerry went guite a few rounds with his TA and that was good. He is a hard core racer on a shoe string budget and had some bad breaks.

When I got home I was too hyped to sleep, so I stayed up until after 3 AM watching Soprano re-runs. It is good to hear you and RJ made the ride home OK. I'm always worried about hitting deer late at night. They are always along the road on my return trip.

We will hook-up again this fall at the Real Street Nationals , or Night of Fire.....see you then! Glen, I hope you get some sleep before then :-)

Last edited by Red 69; 09-21-2008 at 11:51 AM.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:44 AM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 308 Likes on 138 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Nice write up, Glen...good to see you and RJ again as well as Mark (Iscoceles)....big congrats to Mike (Red69)..he started the event in 27th in Summit Series points and I'd guess he finished the year in the high teens...not bad for his second year of competition and being that there were over 120 competitors...great season, Mike!...

I continue to have issues with my beast...yesterday was a long day...I got up at 6:30 AM and was at the parts store at 7:30...then on to the shop to install my new monster tach/shift lite combo...installed by 10:30 and then off to the track...got home at 11:30PM....

The overheating issues seem to be continuing and last night the fuel pump quit as well...then the tach stopped working and so did my brain at that point...at least the car does go straight down broadway when it does run...I got one time shot in last night and it went 8.13 in the 1/8th...this was with hitting the rev limiter on the one/two shift and a bad hiccup on the launch which caused a poor short time...if I ever get it sorted out the car should run high 11's in the 1/4 easily...
Old 09-21-2008, 10:42 PM
vetteman9368
Team Owner

Location: I have no tolerence for liberals and fools, but sometimes i repeat myself
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CI 3-5-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dice
Nice write up, Glen...good to see you and RJ again as well as Mark (Iscoceles)....big congrats to Mike (Red69)..he started the event in 27th in Summit Series points and I'd guess he finished the year in the high teens...not bad for his second year of competition and being that there were over 120 competitors...great season, Mike!...

I continue to have issues with my beast...yesterday was a long day...I got up at 6:30 AM and was at the parts store at 7:30...then on to the shop to install my new monster tach/shift lite combo...installed by 10:30 and then off to the track...got home at 11:30PM....

The overheating issues seem to be continuing and last night the fuel pump quit as well...then the tach stopped working and so did my brain at that point...at least the car does go straight down broadway when it does run...I got one time shot in last night and it went 8.13 in the 1/8th...this was with hitting the rev limiter on the one/two shift and a bad hiccup on the launch which caused a poor short time...if I ever get it sorted out the car should run high 11's in the 1/4 easily...
Dan, I have a brand new but out of the box blue pump if you want it. I will ship it to you tomorrow. I also have an autometer monster tach with the small shift light. Call me in the AM
Old 09-22-2008, 09:22 AM
isosceles
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CONGRATS MIKE!!! Good job showing 'em that you can go rounds in a 14-second '79.

Good Job RJ!!

Kevin, you've got a tough combo: lots of power and a stick. Nice job,and that will improve with seat time.

Dan, you got a great deal on that car even WITH the surprises that have been popping up. When you get taken care of, you're going to end up with one sweet ride that goes from A to B every time, consistently. And when you do,with you're driving skills, your name is going to mentioned along with Tillman, Banks, McFadden, etc.
Sorry I wasn't much help at the track. I'll bring my tools next time. Heck, I had a 20a blade fuse sitting in the top tray when I opened it up on Sunday morning.

Glen: Thanks for the write-up. Great to see you again. Be careful with that lack of sleep thing or you'll end up like me.:

I had a great time watching you guys. I'll get my car back on the track after a while.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:11 AM
litevette
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow! Congrats Mikey! You'd did good my man. I only wish I was able to be there.
Fuzzy, I'm behind on the times and didn't know you finally found what you were looking for. Seems like a tight car you've got there.
I hope to catch up with you all before too long, once I get my personal gremlins out of the way. Good to see you die hard Vette racers are still throwin down out there.
Old 09-22-2008, 03:14 PM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Hey Tim...good to hear from you!...hope you can get back out there soon...yeah, we are hardcore to be sure...I'll get my junk sorted out eventually...a bunch of us plan to be at the Night of Fire in November...c'mon out and join us, buddy...
Old 09-22-2008, 03:16 PM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Originally Posted by vetteman9368
Dan, I have a brand new but out of the box blue pump if you want it. I will ship it to you tomorrow. I also have an autometer monster tach with the small shift light. Call me in the AM
Thanks Chad...I left you a message....we think it is electrical but if I need the pump I will call you ASAP...the tach and shift lite combo is only two days old...thanks so much....

Get notified of new replies

To Orlando Speed World 9/20/08

Quick Reply: Orlando Speed World 9/20/08