Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

Licensing runs question.. What are "moderate" runs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 09:14 AM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

Default Licensing runs question.. What are "moderate" runs?

I did searches and I can't figure out what "moderate run" means?? Does this mean that I can not go below 10.0 on those licensing runs or does it just mean that you can't go quite as fast as the car goes.. For example, can I run like 9.90 (on engine) on the moderate runs and 9.50 on the full runs (on a 100 shot) or do the moderate runs have to be above 10.0??? Does anybody know?
Old 02-24-2008, 10:51 AM
asmokegars
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'06-'07-'08

Moderate runs I believe are go all out for 1/8 and coast from there to the 1.4. That is what I did.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:52 AM
red79vette454
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The moderate runs are 1/8 th mile only.

The first couple runs will really be 60's only. The moderate runs are 1/8 mile and lift. The full runs are where you must go 9.99 or faster 1/4 mile.

Glad to see that you got your sticker. You shouldn't have any problems with the license runs. Looks like your car goes pretty straight.

Good luck. I hope they let you get all of the runs in one day.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:52 AM
vetteman9368
Team Owner

Location: I have no tolerence for liberals and fools, but sometimes i repeat myself
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CI 3-5-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by asmokegars
Moderate runs I believe are go all out for 1/8 and coast from there to the 1.4. That is what I did.
or 1000ft shutoffs
Old 02-24-2008, 12:14 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

If the moderate runs are to the 1/8 mile, why is the first run called "half pass"??? Wouldn't a half pass be to the 1/8 mile?
Old 02-24-2008, 12:46 PM
mail man
Instructor

i have always told drivers that the first 2 passes run to the 330. The next 2 to the 1/8 and they can not be faster than 10.00 or it has become a wasted run and the last 2 have to be quicker than 9.99.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:47 PM
FEAR
Pro

They Leave It Vague For A Reason, I Don Know They Dont Want Them In The 9's Though, So Keep It In The 10's And Be Coasting Across The Finish Line, I Knwo They Want To Make Sure The 60 And 330 Are The Same On All 6 Passes, Or Close Anyway
Old 02-24-2008, 02:27 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mail man
i have always told drivers that the first 2 passes run to the 330. The next 2 to the 1/8 and they can not be faster than 10.00 or it has become a wasted run and the last 2 have to be quicker than 9.99.
Sounds simple enough... Thanks
Old 02-24-2008, 02:33 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Originally Posted by FEAR
They Leave It Vague For A Reason, I Don Know They Dont Want Them In The 9's Though, So Keep It In The 10's And Be Coasting Across The Finish Line, I Knwo They Want To Make Sure The 60 And 330 Are The Same On All 6 Passes, Or Close Anyway
I was actually going to run the first 4 passes on engine and the last 2 on nitrous, so the 60' and 330' times would be different... So, do you think that this would be an issue?
Old 02-24-2008, 03:09 PM
mail man
Instructor

Originally Posted by GrandSportC3
I was actually going to run the first 4 passes on engine and the last 2 on nitrous, so the 60' and 330' times would be different... So, do you think that this would be an issue?
No that would not be an issue. There have been guys that have done it that way at MMP. Also keep all of the runs in proper sequence. We have had people try and use slips out of order. Don't use a slip that could be used for the faster than 9.99 pass that is time stamped and or dated before your moderate passes. Also make sure that the 2 licensed driver that will sign off on your passes have the same license. Once there was a door car driver that had a bike rider sign off on his license and it was rejected. That driver had to redo all of the runs. He was not to happy. When the application get to Glendora they will look at all of this stuff.
Old 02-24-2008, 03:12 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

No that would not be an issue. There have been guys that have done it that way at MMP. Also keep all of the runs in proper sequence. We have had people try and use slips out of order. Don't use a slip that could be used for the faster than 9.99 pass that is time stamped and or dated before your moderate passes. Also make sure that the 2 licensed driver that will sign off on your passes have the same license. Once there was a door car driver that had a bike rider sign off on his license and it was rejected. That driver had to redo all of the runs. He was not to happy. When the application get to Glendora they will look at all of this stuff.
Thanks!! Very helpful.. Hopefully, I'll be able to get all 6 passes in this coming Thursday.. Depends on turnout... Racing is from 6 - 11 PM on Thursday evenings.. so I'll need > 1 pass per hour.. Should be doable..
March is very busy at Bradenton and I doubt that I'll have a chance before mid march to make my licensing runs if I don't make them this coming thursday..
Old 02-24-2008, 03:24 PM
vetteman9368
Team Owner

Location: I have no tolerence for liberals and fools, but sometimes i repeat myself
CI 3-5-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08

Thanks!! Very helpful.. Hopefully, I'll be able to get all 6 passes in this coming Thursday.. Depends on turnout... Racing is from 6 - 11 PM on Thursday evenings.. so I'll need > 1 pass per hour.. Should be doable..
March is very busy at Bradenton and I doubt that I'll have a chance before mid march to make my licensing runs if I don't make them this coming thursday..
do you have two people lined up that will sign off on your license?
Old 02-24-2008, 03:25 PM
mail man
Instructor

I would not leave it to 1 pass an hour. If you do not need alot of cool down time i would do the first 4 as quick as possible. This way if you need time to work on any issues you will have time during the rest of the night (or if one of the all out passes does not meet the 9.99 and quicker) if you want them all done in one night. Also there is nothing that says that all 6 runs "have" to be completed on the same night. I don't know how they run it where you will be going but when i am running staging you could have the first 4 passes done in the first hour. It would go something like this....super pro, your 1st pass, bikes, your second pass Dial ins, 3rd pass, sportsman, 4th pass. This way gives you plenty of time for the last 2.
Old 02-24-2008, 03:38 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

I would not leave it to 1 pass an hour. If you do not need alot of cool down time i would do the first 4 as quick as possible. This way if you need time to work on any issues you will have time during the rest of the night (or if one of the all out passes does not meet the 9.99 and quicker) if you want them all done in one night. Also there is nothing that says that all 6 runs "have" to be completed on the same night. I don't know how they run it where you will be going but when i am running staging you could have the first 4 passes done in the first hour. It would go something like this....super pro, your 1st pass, bikes, your second pass Dial ins, 3rd pass, sportsman, 4th pass. This way gives you plenty of time for the last 2.
I won't have problems getting into 9's on the last 2 passes.. Should be in the 9.50 range if launching off the transbrake with the 100 shot of nitrous..
Old 02-24-2008, 04:41 PM
REDC4CORVETTE
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is how I have the guys do it.
Hard launch!
1/4 pass.
1/2 pass
3/4 pass.
Full pass.
Full pass.
Good Luck

All time slips must be in order and dated after your medical.
NO CARS ARE TO BE IN THE OTHER LANE AND THE TIME SLIP MUST SHOW THAT OR Rosa will DQ your attempts.
All time slips must be turned into NHRA no copy of a time slip.
6 passes in 5 hours hummmm I would like to see that.
Track manager must sign you off also so don't leave the track until he does.
Don't forget the other licensed car drivers to sign you off,everyone must watch you go down the track or runs are no good.

Last edited by REDC4CORVETTE; 02-24-2008 at 05:05 PM.
Old 02-24-2008, 05:46 PM
mail man
Instructor

Originally Posted by REDC4CORVETTE
Hard launch!
1/4 pass.
1/2 pass
3/4 pass.
Full pass.
Full pass.
Good Luck

NO CARS ARE TO BE IN THE OTHER LANE AND THE TIME SLIP MUST SHOW THAT OR Rosa will DQ your attempts.
Don't forget the other licensed car drivers to sign you off,everyone must watch you go down the track or runs are no good.
What Red has said too about it being a single pass and the medical. Don't forget the blindfold test. even after that always think about what would you do if worst case scenerio happens.

The track manager only signs off after everything is filled out properly and the 2 drivers sign as witnesses. You should get both time slips on the passes. Make sure you make photo copies of everything. I also work for the post office and whether you send it thru us or fed ex, ups, things do get lost or missent.

"6 passes in 5 hours" if not much cool down time this is easly done.

The one thing i forgot is that the last 2 passes should only follow super pro cars. Never ever should you follow sportsman or street cars.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:14 PM
REDC4CORVETTE
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I love what those street tires do to the VHT .
Remember you are running for time and speed on the last 2 runs so don't worry about the tree

Get notified of new replies

To Licensing runs question.. What are "moderate" runs?

Old 02-24-2008, 08:38 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Originally Posted by REDC4CORVETTE
Hard launch!
1/4 pass.
1/2 pass
3/4 pass.
Full pass.
Full pass.
Good Luck

Thanks! I'll try not to forget any of those things..
Old 02-24-2008, 08:40 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

What Red has said too about it being a single pass and the medical. Don't forget the blindfold test. even after that always think about what would you do if worst case scenerio happens.

The track manager only signs off after everything is filled out properly and the 2 drivers sign as witnesses. You should get both time slips on the passes. Make sure you make photo copies of everything. I also work for the post office and whether you send it thru us or fed ex, ups, things do get lost or missent.

"6 passes in 5 hours" if not much cool down time this is easly done.

The one thing i forgot is that the last 2 passes should only follow super pro cars. Never ever should you follow sportsman or street cars.
Interestingly, the engine really doesn't run too hot.. It's about 160 degrees after the first pass.. I can go again and would be about 195 degrees after the 2nd pass.. If I'll make another one, I'll be at 210 after 3 concecutive passes.. My old 406 was at 210 degrees after 1 pass
Old 02-24-2008, 08:43 PM
vetteman9368
Team Owner

CI 3-5-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by vetteman9368
do you have two people lined up that will sign off on your license?

Quick Reply: Licensing runs question.. What are "moderate" runs?