Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

Once & For All............! Everyone!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 11:35 AM
ralph
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Kaz, i've heard a lot about MG, and many of the deep stagers from Atco and ET wont even race there anymore because of the "race to the starting line" practice some have adopted. Some have even accused the track of being in complaince with those practices.

Glen apparently some have figured out how to disrupt deep stagers at tracks that don't override the autostart for deep staging.

The more I think about it, i like when my opponent lights both lights before i prestage. Then i'm in complete control. I can delay my staging procedure or not. And i know that when i'm fully staged...it's go time. And i dont have to worry about my opponent waiting til the last second to get in.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:01 PM
kazman
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ralph
Kaz, i've heard a lot about MG, and many of the deep stagers from Atco and ET wont even race there anymore because of the "race to the starting line" practice some have adopted. Some have even accused the track of being in complaince with those practices.

Glen apparently some have figured out how to disrupt deep stagers at tracks that don't override the autostart for deep staging.

The more I think about it, i like when my opponent lights both lights before i prestage. Then i'm in complete control. I can delay my staging procedure or not. And i know that when i'm fully staged...it's go time. And i dont have to worry about my opponent waiting til the last second to get in.
Ralph your are correct about the AR and RP deep stagers. From what I hear MG allows deep stageing but doesn't honor it. In other words 3 bulbs lit and the 10 second auto start is activated. My staging method is a direct counter for the way the starting line is run. MG can run the track any way it wants. No bithcing I have accepted it and deal with things. I have adjusted just fine thanks to the McNasby bracket school.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:06 PM
Geneus
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave-T
I race against many who are fully staged before I am even close to being prestaged. So I think you need to ignore this when it happens and just concentrate on your own game.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:08 PM
JerryL
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

I was surprised to see several guys double bulb in the Cartek Pro 10 on Saturday. It doesn't bother me at all. I always take my time staging and don't feel rushed when my opponent does it. In their defense, running a trans brake or trying to get the boost up on a turbo car can take some time so some guys want to get in early.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:24 PM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 306 Likes on 138 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

I should mention that in my second round on Saturday night I ran against a deep stager...he lit his top two and waited for me...I lit my top two and then he lit his botom amd then I did as well...then he knocked out his top two and everything was fine and dandy...

I am not a deep stager but is there some reason why this can't be how it is done all the time?...he had DEEP written in large letters on his car so I would not have minded if he lit both bulbs first but he didn't and it worked out just fine for both of us...it did not seem like he was struggling or rushing to get staged at all...
Old 04-16-2007, 12:31 PM
Glensgages
Race Director

Received 62 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by ralph
i like when my opponent lights both lights before i prestage. Then i'm in complete control. I can delay my staging procedure or not. And i know that when i'm fully staged...it's go time. And i dont have to worry about my opponent waiting til the last second to get in.
Ralph, this is precisely why my starting-line routine is what it is, so as to be as little of a burden to my opponent, and to have each competitor 'FEEL' as if they are "in complete control" , while still allowing me to legally, per NHRA rules , deep-stage my car.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:40 PM
NJVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

I have people try it on me all the time since I'm running a turbo car. What they don't realize is that when I light the pre-stage bulb I'm already at launch boost, then bump in. If I see them have both bulbs lit before I'm even at the line, I creep forward as slowly as possible, especially if they're already on the converter.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:55 PM
kazman
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dice
I should mention that in my second round on Saturday night I ran against a deep stager...he lit his top two and waited for me...I lit my top two and then he lit his botom amd then I did as well...then he knocked out his top two and everything was fine and dandy...

I am not a deep stager but is there some reason why this can't be how it is done all the time?...he had DEEP written in large letters on his car so I would not have minded if he lit both bulbs first but he didn't and it worked out just fine for both of us...it did not seem like he was struggling or rushing to get staged at all...

Fuzzy Dice, you were both playing nice. I have on a number occasions lit my top and waited only to have the shallow car fully stage hanging me out to dry. Nothing like bumping in as the tree is comming down.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:15 PM
1996LT1
Drifting

Originally Posted by YO-EL
Allright...

I really need to know if this is considered proper, improper, or a guy being a jerk, whatever.. Someone tell me.... Because I feel this happens to me ALOT...

Situation:
The other guy FULLY STAGING before I get even 1 light lit...

A. No problem with it...
B. Discourteous
C. Guy is an A-Hole

Whats the real deal w/ this..?
Thanks
A & B

It would be discourteous if the person was aware of what they were doing but it's very likely the person does not know whats going on in this case.

Also, "A" Because if youre in a state of mind where your opponant's quick staging gets you frazzled you have already greatly reduced your own chances of a round win. NOT because of what the opponant did but because of how YOU react to it.

In other words be aware of your opponants actions but do not let them take you out of your routine (unless of course the person is suddenly in your lane )

Additionally if your opponant quick stages on you there are a few things you can do to make them suffer for it if you feel they deserve it.... but you'll have to figure that out on your own

Another thing to think of is if someone keeps doing it to you repeatedly they might be aware youre so easily distracted
Old 04-16-2007, 01:54 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

B. Discourteous

Or maybe the driver does not know any better....and then again it could be - B and C

Most of the cars I race against are much quicker so I am nearly always pre-staged and waiting for them; it has no effect on me as I expect it. Occasionally I've rolled in too far on the pre-stage and backed out of the stage beam (it enough time) to allow the opponent the courtesy.

Occasionally I get someone who will rush up and stage early but, since I shallow stage, it has no effect on me.

If I know he deep stages then I may wait for him to go in before staging but am not always paying attention.

Once you are pre-staged I usually come up on the converter and inch into the staging beam. And I do this very carefully (slowly), so if you are already up on the converter, you gotta live with it.

I think this may be an area where we can help our fellow "team members" who may be new to the game by informing them of this "courtesy" to fellow racers.

NOT because of what the opponant did but because of how YOU react to it.
Bingo. ANYTHING that you let distract you is (usually) to your disadvantage, and only YOU can control your reaction to dictractions.

Last edited by 65Z01; 04-16-2007 at 01:59 PM.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:53 PM
DRIVER456
Melting Slicks

Location: NY- 2013 Corvette Challenge Champion-2013 Index Combo Champion 2015 CC/MM Champion
Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by YO-EL
Allright...

I really need to know if this is considered proper, improper, or a guy being a jerk, whatever.. Someone tell me.... Because I feel this happens to me ALOT...

Situation:
The other guy FULLY STAGING before I get even 1 light lit...

A. No problem with it...
B. Discourteous
C. Guy is an A-Hole

Whats the real deal w/ this..?
Thanks
I thought it was just me,But it happened to me pretty much all day Saturday.I just did my normal routine.And I won't drive through the water box because you wind up trailing water up to the line with your front tires,So it takes alittle longer to go around and back in, I'm not going to rush,If the other racer has to wait they have to wait.I don't see whats the big rush to get to the tree and light both bulbs anyway.But then again everybody has a different style,Oh well .........................Paul
Old 04-16-2007, 04:06 PM
ralph
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Glensgages
Ralph, this is precisely why my starting-line routine is what it is, so as to be as little of a burden to my opponent, and to have each competitor 'FEEL' as if they are "in complete control" , while still allowing me to legally, per NHRA rules , deep-stage my car.
Glen my comments pertained to a shallow stager lighting both bulbs. If you're going deep, both bulbs should be considered pre staged IMO.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:39 PM
jpee
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Since I've been going DEEP, I have made it a point to let my opponent know I'm going DEEP.. I have it on BOTH side windows and Rear window also..

I also tell him I'll light BOTH bulbs right away.. then when he lights the Top bulb.. I bump forward putting out my top bulb.. ( I stage first) also being that I do not lean on the converter too hard.. I don't get too much heat in the trans...

I haven't had any problems doing it this way...
Old 04-16-2007, 08:21 PM
C5pilot
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jpee
Since I've been going DEEP, I have made it a point to let my opponent know I'm going DEEP.. I have it on BOTH side windows and Rear window also..
JP, I'd rather you told me how you were going to FINISH the race.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:49 PM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

I noticed this yesterday a few times as well, and somtimes from very experienced racers........................so I guess thats their tactic.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:56 PM
jpee
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by C5pilot
JP, I'd rather you told me how you were going to FINISH the race.
Hopefully I won't have to replace my "Depends" after the run.. And would you believe I was asked by a person from the Pa. gang.. if I still use those BLUE pills

Last edited by jpee; 04-17-2007 at 08:34 PM.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:08 PM
2000whitec5
Burning Brakes

Location: 10.54 @ 129 346 N/A A4 Record 9.78 @ 139+ on 150 shot

Originally Posted by jerrymuniz

B. Discourteous

Or maybe the driver does not know any better....and then again it could be - B and C

Quick Reply: Once & For All............! Everyone!