Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

Great time at Englishtown today

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 07:34 PM
asmokegars
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'06-'07-'08
Default Great time at Englishtown today

If you could stand the heat - multiple applications of sunblock, it was a great show. Walked around the pits from about 8AM to 10:45 then watched the fun.

I didn't realize they started off with top fuel and worked back to pro-stock bike. The sound/shock wave from the top fuel cars was simply unbelievable!!

Good pace on the show with few mishaps. Interesting to watch the supercomp, supergas, superstreet classes - they launch hard and then go to idle until the delay box kicks in.

The pro-mods were awesome to watch. The finals between Jason Line and Dave Connolly -excellent as Jason treed Dave. Funny car - caps vs Selzi - a great race.

Finished right at 5pm and was back on 18 in new brunswick by 6pm!! Great traffic control.

After the last race they let you cut accross the track from the pit side to the spectator side in order to get to your car. I was about mid track and it was stickier than I've seen most starting lines.

This was the first time I was live at a national event since the 70s. Great job/professionally run and huge crowd. I hope I get to be a regular each year.
Old 06-18-2006, 07:40 PM
Geneus
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself. Dr. Ron and I were there on Friday afternoon, and it was warm, but not like it must have been today. Had the DA been much better during the course of the 3 days, I think E'town, with it's new surface and the prep they do, might have yielded national record runs for all the Pro categories...it's just that good.

Next year let's plan to all go together.
Old 06-18-2006, 07:44 PM
REDGAR
Team Owner

Cruise-In II & IV Veteran
CI VI Drag Champ!

I came home after the semis....jumped in the pool at home...ahhhhhh

Way hot out there.

I got some video from the walll right right by the tree. Won't have it up to a few weeks
Old 06-18-2006, 08:04 PM
Paul_Z06
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by asmokegars
Interesting to watch the supercomp, supergas, superstreet classes - they launch hard and then go to idle until the delay box kicks in.

Kinda like the Pro 10.0
Old 06-18-2006, 08:54 PM
asmokegars
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by REDGAR
I came home after the semis....jumped in the pool at home...ahhhhhh

Way hot out there.

I got some video from the walll right right by the tree. Won't have it up to a few weeks

Now there is a man with some smarts! They had to catch up the sportsman classes in order for all the cars to run finals at once so there was a bit of a delay before getting to the finals which they filled with extreme bikes doing flips and a parade of Dodge trucks and pontiacs. Not so entertaining when its high 90s. That said the finals were fun to watch so I was glad to stay.

In the super car classes - every one of them could run much faster than the index - they just play with the delay to dial down to the number. The supergas cars were running 9.90 at mid 150MPH!! Even the super street cars had parachutes on them.
Old 06-18-2006, 08:57 PM
mackeyred96
Team Owner

Location: Former NCM Drag Racing coordinator, National director Corvette Challenge Spring Hill, Tennessee: Whiting, New Jersey
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Any of you guys remember when they ran that race in July? It would always rain and we end up running the finals on monday. Did that more than once.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:02 PM
asmokegars
Le Mans Master

Met a supergas racer from PA. He missed in the qualifying but stayed on as his car was voted best in show. He had a C1 body with the cage sticking out the top. Beautiful job - the frame was double for strength, the motor was a small block chevy with Brodix heads and was making 800 hp!! He was running huge Hoosiers on 5lbs pressure with a 2 speed powerglide. On the tires, he said its kind of like when a plane takes off and the weight is off the plane but the wheels are still down - you sort of drift a bit.

He told me that he was justing getting into the class and was lucky enough to be invited as you have to earn points at division races before you can get invited to most national events except a few which are all run. 80 cars were invited to qualify for the supergas field. Now that's some competition!
Old 06-18-2006, 09:05 PM
asmokegars
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mackeyred96
Any of you guys remember when they ran that race in July? It would always rain and we end up running the finals on monday. Did that more than once.
That was back when it was the summernationals. Boy it felt like the summernationals today - that's for sure. One thing seemed strange - why run this on Father's day when there are other down weeks in the schedule? They run St Louis next week but then are off for a few weeks. I would think the turnout would be better if it were not Father's day but I guess many father/children go. BIG money in merchandising.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:10 PM
jpee
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Any of you guys remember when they ran that race in July? It would always rain and we end up running the finals on Monday. Did that more than once.
John now I KNOW I'm getting old...VERY OLD as you know I have the same seats every yr. Top row sec 4 seat # 141- 142- 143... I go with Doug.. (he has the 8 sec Diesel Pick up) Well I had a great time Fri. & Sat... but have sinus infection & this morning I was up & ready to go.. but it was just TOO ****ING HOT I just cam home to my daughters & we had a great cook out.. (I stayed inside with the AC) & I watched the race on TV...

I've had those same seats since the new aluminum bleachers were put in..I might be ready to see if someone wants to take over my spot for Sundays..
Old 06-18-2006, 09:44 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I'm with you on that one John.

Ming & I showed up around 7pm on Fri to catch the final round of funny car & top fuel quals and I thought that was hot driving there.

I stepped out this morning and decided to catch the race in the comfort of A/C...
Old 06-18-2006, 10:35 PM
Tony.96LT4
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Red96Coupe
John now I KNOW I'm getting old...VERY OLD as you know I have the same seats every yr. Top row sec 4 seat # 141- 142- 143... I go with Doug.. (he has the 8 sec Diesel Pick up) Well I had a great time Fri. & Sat... but have sinus infection & this morning I was up & ready to go.. but it was just TOO ****ING HOT I just cam home to my daughters & we had a great cook out.. (I stayed inside with the AC) & I watched the race on TV...

I've had those same seats since the new aluminum bleachers were put in..I might be ready to see if someone wants to take over my spot for Sundays..
JP, Rose and I were there on Sat. I think if we go next year we'll get reserved seats instead of general admission. Great show. The fuel cars were awesome and the Pro Mods were pretty cool too. Well actually everything we saw runnig were pretty cool!!
Old 06-18-2006, 11:19 PM
STEALTH 99 C5
Safety Car

I went Friday and ran into the VetteDocs crew of Paul Major , Bill , Angelo and his brother . Today I got hooked up big time , I had a pass to the Snap-On Tools tower suite , it was awesome , blasting cold air conditioning , catered food and drinks , I was sitting dead center on the tree , if I didn't get the tower pass , I wouldn't have went , it was too damn hot . Hung out with Capps for a few minutes afterwards in the winners circle , it was a great time .
Old 06-19-2006, 07:19 AM
Nick Goldman
Instructor

Glad you guys enjoyed it...from what I hear...it was a pretty good show. As for nick...he was in the office sunday, answering phones...which, being as hot as it was...was just fine by me. Though you wouldn't believe how many people called around 2:30 to ask what time the show starts.

-Nick Goldman
Raceway Park Track Announcer
Old 06-19-2006, 01:05 PM
mackeyred96
Team Owner

Location: Former NCM Drag Racing coordinator, National director Corvette Challenge Spring Hill, Tennessee: Whiting, New Jersey
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by Nick Goldman
Glad you guys enjoyed it...from what I hear...it was a pretty good show. As for nick...he was in the office sunday, answering phones...which, being as hot as it was...was just fine by me. Though you wouldn't believe how many people called around 2:30 to ask what time the show starts.

-Nick Goldman
Raceway Park Track Announcer

Nick did you get any "MIKE" time on Friday ??
Old 06-19-2006, 01:05 PM
mackeyred96
Team Owner

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by STEALTH 99 C5
I went Friday and ran into the VetteDocs crew of Paul Major , Bill , Angelo and his brother . Today I got hooked up big time , I had a pass to the Snap-On Tools tower suite , it was awesome , blasting cold air conditioning , catered food and drinks , I was sitting dead center on the tree , if I didn't get the tower pass , I wouldn't have went , it was too damn hot . Hung out with Capps for a few minutes afterwards in the winners circle , it was a great time .

Isn't it great how the other 1/2 live
Old 06-19-2006, 01:10 PM
mackeyred96
Team Owner

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Ya, I know. The heat drives me crazy. I may not run my again till the fall.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:21 PM
jpee
Race Director

Ya, I know. The heat drives me crazy. I may not run my again till the fall.
Hey.. you sound like JD He runs Once A Year weather he feels like it or not

Get notified of new replies

To Great time at Englishtown today

Old 06-19-2006, 08:36 PM
mackeyred96
Team Owner

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Hey.. you sound like JD He runs Once A Year weather he feels like it or not
JP, there isn't much motivation. After you’ve run E-town with the group we have there is hard to want to race anywhere else. Plus I really don’t like going racing by myself incase something happens to the car or me. I guess I’m just getting old.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:03 PM
jpee
Race Director

JP, there isn't much motivation. After you’ve run E-town with the group we have there is hard to want to race anywhere else. Plus I really don’t like going racing by myself incase something happens to the car or me. I guess I’m just getting old.
WOW we got 2 admissions from the Big Mack..

1. E Town Racers are the Best

2. Panuzzo ain't the only one getting old
Old 06-20-2006, 02:51 AM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

hey, it's on TV! I wouldn't have recognized it with the blue paint except for the "Raceway Park" signs.

Quick Reply: Great time at Englishtown today