Drag Racing Results, Trap Speed, Reaction Time, Driving Technique, Tips for Running the Corvette in the ¼ & 1/8 mile, Events

Decision on next set of tires -- drag vs. street

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 10:25 AM
mowton
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Decision on next set of tires -- drag vs. street

I am giving up my quest to hit a sub 2 second 60 on runflats, they win. The question I have, is there a compromise between drag radials and street radials which could provide decent hookup on the track, but be used for everyday driving. The other reason is I drive about 240 miles to and from e-town, and don't have a trailer or equipment to change tires at the track. This way I could race what I drove in on.

I know there is no substitute for absolute bite with drag radials/slicks, but I am worried about strain on the drive train, and (don't laugh) concerend about my skills in doing a 10 second burnout before each pass.

If my first idea is stupid, don't hold back I may just need a good kick in the a$$ to do the right thing. Thanks for listening
Old 05-08-2005, 10:54 AM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I doubt you'll be happy, at the track, with anything less than a drag radial. My car has had nothing but BFG Drag Radials, on the rear for 6 or 7 years. I have driven 850 miles, one way to a race on the DRs. The equipment to change tires at the track is minimal, a wrench and a jack, but it gets real old, real quick, especially if it's raining. I'd recommend DRs, even if you change them at home before every race.

RACE ON!!!
Old 05-08-2005, 11:53 AM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,402 Likes on 610 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by CFI-EFI
I doubt you'll be happy, at the track, with anything less than a drag radial. My car has had nothing but BFG Drag Radials, on the rear for 6 or 7 years. I have driven 850 miles, one way to a race on the DRs. The equipment to change tires at the track is minimal, a wrench and a jack, but it gets real old, real quick, especially if it's raining. I'd recommend DRs, even if you change them at home before every race.

RACE ON!!!
Also remember, you CAN fit a pair of D/R's in the rear of a C5 coupe and change at the track.
All you really need is jack and a lug wrench.
Old 05-08-2005, 12:33 PM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cental/South NJ Events Coordinator
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
CI-II Burnout & Drag Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

Originally Posted by Glennm27
Also remember, you CAN fit a pair of D/R's in the rear of a C5 coupe and change at the track.
All you really need is jack and a lug wrench.

A good compromise(and it is a compromise) is to use Nitto Drag radials. They will last 4 times as long as BFG, but are nowhere near as sticky.

Although many of us don't follow this, BFG recommends not driving more than 25 miles one way.

Give the Nitto's a shot(I can't believe I'm recommending them) and see how it works out, if not go with BFG and get some extra rims and either change them before you come or bring them and do it at the track.

BTW, I have some 17 x 8.5 C5 wagon wheels for sale with some well worn BFG's.
Old 05-08-2005, 12:38 PM
RichS
Le Mans Master

Received 110 Likes on 98 Posts

When I drove to the track I used the Nittos. They worked good when the car was pretty much stock, but not as good once the hp went up. Now that I tow I use the BFGs. I will drive with them to the local track (45 miles) and to E-Town when new (140 miles)
Old 05-08-2005, 12:55 PM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 300 Likes on 136 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

I"m been doing just what you are thinking of...I put Nitto DR's out back (315-35-17) last March...they stay on the car...they drive fine on the highway at 75 mph...they won't give you those "snappy" short times but they are very consistent...I get 1.89 to 1.92 short times like clockwork...one word of caution..even with the Nitto's, be careful in a rainstorm....the best price I found when I got mine was from Discount Tire....good luck
Old 05-08-2005, 01:08 PM
mackeyred96
Team Owner

Location: Former NCM Drag Racing coordinator, National director Corvette Challenge Spring Hill, Tennessee: Whiting, New Jersey
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Get a set of Nitto DR they will be fine for your situation.
Old 05-08-2005, 04:03 PM
mowton
Le Mans Master

I appreciate all time and effort in your suggestions and am really looking forward to making a decision and a better showing than this event.

I also realized I neglected to tell you one improtant fact. I normally drive the car back and forth to work daily at 80 miles a day. I just don't like to get out of the seat

Will look into the Nitto 555R (15,000 miles), may be an alternative for installation at home, drive to/from track, race and remove when home. Is there anyone who does something like that or am I just being stubborn?

If that doesn't workout then I don't think I have a choice other than getting a trailer $2K plus (plus the tires/wheels) or a portable kit to change the tires (small jack and battery powered lug gun) at $300 plus the tires/wheels.
Old 05-08-2005, 04:52 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Ed as you know I put my on at home the night before and then drive there and back. Either that day or the next I take the tires off. Besides being easier then changing at the track I also get the chance to clean the inside of my wheels. With my low profile jack I can raise the whole backend in one step and remove the tires then put on the DRs in last than 30 mins using a lug wrench. This weekend I went out to look for a battery powered impact wrench which will save me a bit more time...

To be honest I would rather change my tires at the track. I saw that small Aluminum jack that would work if you had the jack pucks in, but then where do you store your tires and jack when you are racing? Seems like they could be easy targets for someone idiot to borrow them forever. That is the main reason I change them at home.
Old 05-08-2005, 06:01 PM
REDGAR
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In II & IV Veteran
CI VI Drag Champ!

Yup if you don't want to the weekly swap of wheels/tires then the Nitto will be the wiser choice.....EXCEPT....if you really plan to do a lot of drag racing.

For occasional racing the Nitto is okay. I had them for a while and found them to be not very consistent so out they went.

If you plan to race 10 or more times and more importantly, bracket race, you need to be thinking about BFG and MT ET Street Radial.

I would not want to see you get Nittos and a couple races later, sell them at a loss for something else.

If you really do not want to swap at the track and can deal with the Nitto, get them. I am getting the feeling you will will be at the track quite a bit and you will start modding soon too
Old 05-08-2005, 06:36 PM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

I've always thought that RP should build and sell or rent garage condos or small storage units so that folks could leave their equipment and/or cars at the track. Especially all you city folk, it's gotta be tough storing your car and everything that goes with it.

Maybe I should buy some land and build a Corvette Challenge headquarters. Now that's a plan.
Old 05-08-2005, 06:47 PM
6SPD98
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18- '19

Default Storage Facility

________________________________________ ____________________
[Mr Mojo]I've always thought that RP should build and sell or rent garage condos or small storage units so that folks could leave their equipment and/or cars at the track. Especially all you city folk, it's gotta be tough storing your car and everything that goes with it.
Maybe I should buy some land and build a Corvette Challenge headquarters. Now that's a plan. [/QUOTE]
________________________________________ ____________________

small storage units .......... Now that's a plan.
And a very good one
Old 05-08-2005, 06:50 PM
YO-EL
Race Director

Received 868 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Mojo
I've always thought that RP should build and sell or rent garage condos or small storage units so that folks could leave their equipment and/or cars at the track:
I have also wondered why there's not "tire lockers" where people can rent them & store tires. I'd also like to see a secure place where racers can view a weather station for DA, or someplace where they could lock down their own... GREAT idea Frank!
Old 05-08-2005, 07:46 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

now thats my point. Many of us want to do the change there, but have no storage area. If they had a small garage I am sure that a bunch of us could chip in together and have a jack and lug wrench there then you just store tires.

Of course RP would be responsible if someone broke in so maybe they dont want that added problem. Though I doubt their insurance owuld go any higher....

Last edited by Wicked Weasel; 05-09-2005 at 07:41 AM.
Old 05-08-2005, 08:08 PM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

The insurance and taxes would be the biggest factor(other than securing the property in the first place).

A couple years ago I found a building in Jackson for an unbelievable price. 9000 sq ft for $6900 on 1 acre. Taxes were $11,000/yr.

That's a litte over $900/month, but split it between a dozen guys and it's less than $80. Too bad I can't find the listing, it's probably long gone by now.
Old 05-08-2005, 08:45 PM
Dr.Ron
Le Mans Master

Location: 2007 Nat'l Corvette Challenge 11.50 index Champ. New Jersey
Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

The insurance and taxes would be the biggest factor(other than securing the property in the first place).

A couple years ago I found a building in Jackson for an unbelievable price. 9000 sq ft for $6900 on 1 acre. Taxes were $11,000/yr.

That's a litte over $900/month, but split it between a dozen guys and it's less than $80. Too bad I can't find the listing, it's probably long gone by now.

ALL real estate was a lot cheaper a few years ago!! It's probably gone, but today I'm sure it would sell for triple that at least.
I chain my wheels/tires & jack around a pole at the track....
Ron
Old 05-08-2005, 08:50 PM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Dr.Ron
ALL real estate was a lot cheaper a few years ago!! It's probably gone, but today I'm sure it would sell for triple that at least.
I chain my wheels/tires & jack around a pole at the track....
Ron
Actually I meant to say only a year ago, it was last July or August that I saw the ad.

Get notified of new replies

To Decision on next set of tires -- drag vs. street

Old 05-08-2005, 09:57 PM
mackeyred96
Team Owner

Location: Former NCM Drag Racing coordinator, National director Corvette Challenge Spring Hill, Tennessee: Whiting, New Jersey
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

I've always thought that RP should build and sell or rent garage condos or small storage units so that folks could leave their equipment and/or cars at the track. Especially all you city folk, it's gotta be tough storing your car and everything that goes with it.

Believe it or not that plan has been in the works for over 3 years, but as always there is trouble with the city/neighbors.
Mike Napp told me said they would be different sizes at different cost depending on size and would be on the site that is now the lake since that is hardly ever used anymore.
Old 05-08-2005, 09:58 PM
mowton
Le Mans Master

I guess for the racing season you could rent a small 5X5 storage place and split the costs. The problem would be the Storage facility probibly wouldn't appreciate a line of cars and work being done in their facility. Would have to clear that with them.

I have heard some people chain there daily set to the fence during their sessions. I guess if you had a lock box which would hold an impact gun, lug wrench, jack etc. you could chain lock all the items together. But that is a pain in the neck as well.

Maybe Edgar could speak with RP to see what they may think. Gee, never thought my problem with tires would evolve into this, but its good.

Last edited by mowton; 05-08-2005 at 11:36 PM.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:33 PM
Mr Mojo
Elite Torch Red Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Another solution. We drove to Memphis with this setup.

As for the city/neighbors, can you believe the black hats in Lakewood are making the township move their public works? The public works was there long before the condos, but now Lakewood has to spend 23,000,000 on a new public works facility. My tax dollars at work.
Attached Images      

Quick Reply: Decision on next set of tires -- drag vs. street