Auto Extras & Memorabilia Accessories for your Corvette that aren’t budget-busters. Plus, Corvette memorabilia and die cast models (1:24 and 1:18 scale).

New collector looking for advice.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2002, 02:52 AM
Silver 96
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New collector looking for advice.

I'm just getting started collecting diecast models. As I mentioned in another thread, my daughter gave me my first model, a 1:18 scale '58 vette, apparently made by Motormax, that she bought at WalMart.

Some time later, when I was at the local Chev dealer, I noticed that they have quite a collection of 1:18 scale models, naturally all GM products, and included a number of corvettes. They didn't have a '96 collector edition like mine, so I bought an '82 collector edition, by AutoArt, for the equivalent of just under $50 US. I was impressed with the amount of detail compared to the Motormax model, so felt the increase in price was justified. Later, I bought a copy of the silver Mitchell Stingray, again by AutoArt, this time for about $40 US, and again was pleased with the detail.

This past weekend, I bought my first two Maisto models at the local supermarket, a Lamborghini Murcielago for $10 US and a Mercedes CLK-GTR for just over $14 US. To my suprise, they both seem to be every bit as detailed as the AutoArt cars. In fact, Both Maisto models have spring loaded suspension, which neither of the AutoArt cars have.

Unfortunately, the only corvettes they have at that supermarket are a 1:24 scale Z06 (for about $3 US) and a 1:18 scale Z06 on a trailer towed by the new chev truck (for $25 US). This store is strictly "what you see is what you get" - no possibility of special orders. In fact, the lady in charge of toys doesn't even know what they are getting until the models arrive.

But now I'm confused. Which are the best brands of models to get and what should I look for when I buy? I read in another thread that AutoArt has good detail. Are they usually better than Maisto?

Someday I'll buy an Exoto grand sport, just to see the difference in quality and detail. Too bad they don't make more corvettes. Meanwhile, I would greatly appreciate any advice and guidance you can offer.
Old 08-27-2002, 05:21 AM
Silver 96
Le Mans Master

Default Re: New collector looking for advice. (Silver 96)

OK...

So I just did a side-by-side comparison between my '82 CE (AutoArt) and Lambo (Maisto). There is a difference.

At first glance, sure, both have opening doors, hood and cargo hatch. Both have steerable front wheels.

But then I look closer. First thing I notice is that the exterior body color of the Lambo doesn't quite make it all the way to the inside of the door sill, and the inside door trim, while having all the hardware, is all the same piece of moulded black plastic.

On the other hand, the paint on the doors and sills of the CE extends flawlessly to all visible areas.The pinstripe on the door matches up exactly with the pinstripe on the rear fender, as does the color bar on the bottom of the door with the front fender. The window and mirror trim, the latch plate and the keyway are all chrome, just like the original. The inside of the door is a work of art, with four different colors, including the simulated carpet on the lower part. The armrest/door handle is a separate piece. And the door latch and power door lock switch are separate chrome pieces.

This attention to detail extends equally if not more so, into the rest of the interior: the carpet, the different colors on the seats, the gauges and radio, the detail on the console with the power window switches and PRND21 lettering, the A/C vents, the mirror on the visor. The little chrome button on the top of the gearshift lever.

This difference in detail repeats throughout.

I know I'm "preaching to the choir", but I just wanted you to know that I'm beginning to appreciate the difference between detail and detail. I still need all the help I can get.

...and I can hardly wait to get my first Exoto model.

[Modified by Silver 96, 2:25 AM 8/27/2002]
Old 08-27-2002, 09:52 AM
Goody
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Get at least one Exoto, or a Motor Box which is by Exoto too. You can get them all off Ebay, but be wary of the bidding wars and snipers. The Auto Arts really can't be beat for the price. I would recommend at least one of the Carousel 1 cars since they can be had for $50 now, which is a steal by any account. Exoto quality at half the price. Use the net to shop all the diecast places and you can come across some good clearance prices. Good luck and happy hunting.
Old 08-27-2002, 11:11 AM
Illini Steve
Drifting

Silver 96,

I think you've got a pretty good handle on what differentiates the different makers and price ranges. I love AutoArts, and have nearly all of their Vettes. Maisto makes some really good cars for the money, unfortunately they aren't Vettes. Their C4s are terrible. Their newer stuff is pretty good. It pretty much comes down to you get what you pay for.
Old 08-27-2002, 02:24 PM
Silver 96
Le Mans Master

Default Re: New collector looking for advice. (Goody)

I checked out the Carousel 1 website this morning and am I ever impressed! They do a better job of explaining / illustrating the detail of their models than Exoto. Now I really want one of their L88 models. I have to see if any of the local shops carry Carousel and Exoto. I'm a little wary of Ebay, mostly because of having to ship across the border.

I think I'm getting the "bug"! :crazy:
Old 08-27-2002, 03:28 PM
Illini Steve
Drifting

I checked out the Carousel 1 website this morning and am I ever impressed! They do a better job of explaining / illustrating the detail of their models than Exoto. Now I really want one of their L88 models. I have to see if any of the local shops carry Carousel and Exoto. I'm a little wary of Ebay, mostly because of having to ship across the border.

You've got to watch out for that bug!

Check out some of the online dealers in the Forum portal: https://www.corvetteforum.com/corvet..._pages&cat=193

I've bought from Scale18, Diecastmuscle and Sportcraft with no complaints. You should be able to find the Carousel 1s for $50-$60. That's a great deal. At their orginal prices of ~ $125 they were a little over-priced.
Old 08-28-2002, 02:13 AM
BOB'S C6
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Watch out for that BUG!!!! I started collecting about 6 months ago and have now bought 79 1:18 Corvettes, It really can get to you.Check out the Corvette Portal at side of page then go to the diecast section, there are alot of places to order from. The guys above have already stated what are the best manufactures so I won't get into that.Good Luck Hunting....It is contagious :jester
Old 08-28-2002, 02:18 PM
Silver 96
Le Mans Master

Default Re: New collector looking for advice. (Silver85)

Thanks for the advice and support, guys!

I checked out some Exoto and Motorbox models at a local hobby shop last night. Exoto is very impressive. They had a 1:12 GT 40 in a display set up to look like a major pitstop, basically stripped right down. The detail blew my mind! (but so did the price :crazy: )

I'm beginning to realize that the search will be a big part of the fun of collecting. I look forward to spending more time here in the D&C forum.
Old 08-28-2002, 11:31 PM
VTFNATC
Racer

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Just as an FYI, I have gotten many of my models from Exoticar(www.exoticar.com) They carry most of the brands mentioned here. Sometimes their price is not the best, but if you can't find what you want on Ebay or somewhere else, they are a good source. Once you order something, you get a magazine for life(or so it seems).
Old 08-29-2002, 10:06 AM
Illini Steve
Drifting

Default Re: New collector looking for advice. (MATTS93)

Just as an FYI, I have gotten many of my models from Exoticar(www.exoticar.com) They carry most of the brands mentioned here. Sometimes their price is not the best, but if you can't find what you want on Ebay or somewhere else, they are a good source. Once you order something, you get a magazine for life(or so it seems).
A different take on Exoticar. I ordered my first batch of cars from them, six in total. I recieved them all within a week, in four different shipments. It seems that they like to find creative ways to maximize the shipping and handling. They've got a retail store or two (NYC and Hollywood?) that sound like they're worth checking out though.
Old 08-29-2002, 11:59 AM
Silver 96
Le Mans Master

Default Re: New collector looking for advice. (Illini Steve)

Thanks for the heads up, guys. I checked out their site - some items are defiitely worth looking into. :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To New collector looking for advice.

Quick Reply: New collector looking for advice.