Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another GTA Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 03:16 PM
racer313g
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another GTA Thread

After much thought, I decided to join the dark side and get into a GTA car. From a dollars and cents (and sense!) perspective it wasn't logical to keep spending money on the Corvette to drive it less on the street and make it safer and faster on the track. Alas, I sent the c5z packing and headed to sunny Tampa, FL to pick up the GTA car. For about the same money I got a much safer car that will run circles around my old c5z. Not to mention cheaper consumables to boot.

This particular car is 100% Howe, powered by a 500+ HP carbureted small block Chevrolet. Driving it around the shop in the snow was fun and all, but I'm ready for Spring so I can get out and have some real fun!

Old 12-13-2013, 03:59 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Very sanitary looking car. How about some more pics of the engine compartment. We expect some video after your first event and you get the car sorted to your satisfaction.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:20 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

I want to know what kind of idiot drives from Ohio to Tampa and back in a 3 day span with a 28' trailer in the middle of an ice storm...

Oh. Nevermind.

P.S. Nice Noble.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:54 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

If I knew a couple years ago what I know now, I likely would have never bought my corvette. I'd have bought a truck and dedicated track car, with a GTA being at the top of the list. Very cost effective dedicated track car. Congrats!
Old 12-13-2013, 05:06 PM
bosco022
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Back in 2005 Woody at Bemco built the Monte Carlo pictured below for Squeak Kennedy and I. It was a rocket from the get go and no more expensive to operate than my old I.T.S.
Datsun 240Z. It was re-bodied about three years ago into the Howe Camaro seen below. It is now driven by Squeak's son Bobby and is super fast with a 550 HP LS6 powering it.

I wish I had moved to these types sooner as they have been a blast to drive.

You are gonna enjoy!

Old 12-13-2013, 05:08 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Just so you know Bosco... you are directly responsible for the purchase in this thread.

I'm guessing you recognize the car and where it came from. The deal came together when I went to pick up the other one that looks eerily similar. A lot of the off the wall questions I asked following my purchase were in relation to racer313's new car.

Last edited by RedLS1GTO; 12-13-2013 at 05:10 PM.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:39 PM
racer313g
Instructor

Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO
I want to know what kind of idiot drives from Ohio to Tampa and back in a 3 day span with a 28' trailer in the middle of an ice storm...

Oh. Nevermind.

P.S. Nice Noble.
What's 35 hours of towing between friends? I think I did manage to get ~6 hours of driving out of you...

Why didn't we just stay in the 80+ degree weather?

Oh, and one pic I snapped of the engine compartment for your enjoyment.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:16 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Originally Posted by racer313g
What's 35 hours of towing between friends? I think I did manage to get ~6 hours of driving out of you...:rofl
Yea, it just so happens that those 6 were through Atlanta as the game was letting out and Nashville in the middle of an ice storm. Yea, what a pal.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:54 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

You guys are going to race these things in one of NASA's (revised) ST classes??
Old 12-13-2013, 10:18 PM
Han Solo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats on the purchase!

I bought a roller a couple of years back that has been sitting in my garage ever since. I finally self imposed a end of the year deadline to get it finished or at least running. Been working on it all week and taking a couple of weeks off during the holidays to try and finish it up. It's not gonna be as nice as the car you have there but I'll have a lot less in it.
Old 12-14-2013, 08:24 AM
bosco022
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Just so you know Bosco... you are directly responsible for the purchase in this thread.

I'm guessing you recognize the car and where it came from. The deal came together when I went to pick up the other one that looks eerily similar. A lot of the off the wall questions I asked following my purchase were in relation to racer313's new car.

Another of the Tony Amico rides out of the Mike Cope shop. Squeak Kennedy is selling the Tommy Graham Taurus that came out the same group. Also has a Ziegler engine and wins in the Southeast regularly.
Old 12-14-2013, 08:33 AM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Originally Posted by Han Solo
Congrats on the purchase!

I bought a roller a couple of years back that has been sitting in my garage ever since. I finally self imposed a end of the year deadline to get it finished or at least running. Been working on it all week and taking a couple of weeks off during the holidays to try and finish it up. It's not gonna be as nice as the car you have there but I'll have a lot less in it.
I'd be really interested in seeing the build cost comparison. With both cars we ran the numbers on build/buy and with what these things are going for, it was really hard to beat a completed car with spares, etc even doing it yourself with a zero labor cost, unless you got some SERIOUS deals on used parts.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:00 PM
Han Solo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd be really interested in seeing the build cost comparison. With both cars we ran the numbers on build/buy and with what these things are going for, it was really hard to beat a completed car with spares, etc even doing it yourself with a zero labor cost, unless you got some SERIOUS deals on used parts.
It would be apples and oranges really. My car is getting a stock 351W with a T5 behind it. It is an older big spring car with GM calipers, steering box instead of rack and a 3 link panhard bar rear. I am building it as a fun track day car but it would not be legal for any racing series I know of. To go racing I would have to backtrack and get a built engine with a road race transmission, upgrade brakes, etc. Anybody that wants to race should buy one of these cars built and proven to be competitive.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:14 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 129 Posts

Congrats and welcome to the "Dark Side!" So what's the latest count of GTA owners on this forum??
Old 12-16-2013, 05:48 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

NASA's new ST class rules are here: http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/Super-Touring.pdf
Old 12-16-2013, 05:58 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
NASA's new ST class rules are here: http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/Super-Touring.pdf
The GTA class was essentially written for the ex-ASA cars. Much more likely to keep them there than NASA.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:14 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Looks like a lot of fun! Enjoy

Get notified of new replies

To Another GTA Thread

Quick Reply: Another GTA Thread