Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC belt loss under high revs

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 01:51 PM
urslooow
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Default AC belt loss under high revs

I track my stk motor z 14x/yr. balancer finally wore out so I replaced it with the ati unit that everybody said to get. next track day I noticed a/c belt came off and kept coming off even when a new belt was on. size was correct.we even tried a longer and sl shorter one still came off. the last time it came off I got a cam position sensor code as well. anyway I brought it to the dealer and he showed me the stock balancer and it has a lip on the rear that the ati balancer doesn't have, My master corvette tech thinks that the repeated high revving and or rev matching are pushing the belt off. He checked the idler arm and said it looked good. There is a definite difference betw stock rear lip that is next to ac belt and the ati. Did I get a part that isn't correct for the track? is there a fix for this? do I need to change it.

I called ATI tech support they said that there's no lip on front of the balancer and the main belt doesn't come off. He said not to put katech main belt tensioner just change the AC belt tensioner army. Has anyone else had this issue? I thought I was doin myself a favor by getting the "better" balancer that cost over $1000 with labor. now I'm faced with going back to stock to get the car to run on track. Most race shops can't help since they take AC units out of car
Old 12-13-2013, 11:58 AM
mcar00
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Steve, I have no experience with the ATI balancer but kept losing my AC belt at the track due to a loose alternator pulley bolt. Maybe just check it anyway. Good luck.
Old 12-13-2013, 01:25 PM
Screamin Z
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Had the same issue. Changed out the tensioner on the A/C belt and all is fine.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:20 PM
urslooow
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I'll try new tensioner arm. If that doesn't work next track day ill have to start takin AC belt off b4 trk day
Old 12-14-2013, 09:09 PM
petsur
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

We'll heck, I am planning on doing a cam in my GS this Winter and thought the ATI was bullet proof. WTF on throwing belts!! Been there, done that moons ago. Does the Katech tensioner solve this? What's the point on getting an ATI if you're losing belts?
Old 12-14-2013, 10:40 PM
jraspinner12
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Contact katech...they make a belt tensioner that is used on race cars.
Old 12-15-2013, 01:39 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

had same problem with same parts...... changed tensioners, etc

still came off

it was the.........belt!

put a new gatorback on it and everything was fine!
Old 12-15-2013, 11:14 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

FYI, the OP is not talking about the main serpentine belt, only the A/C belt which runs inside of the main belt off a smaller pulley. It has it's own tensioner and that is likely the problem or if not that then the belt itself. There's nothing wrong with the ATI balancer nor the Katech tensioner.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:21 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by redtopz
FYI, the OP is not talking about the main serpentine belt, only the A/C belt which runs inside of the main belt off a smaller pulley. It has it's own tensioner and that is likely the problem or if not that then the belt itself. There's nothing wrong with the ATI balancer nor the Katech tensioner.

They are great products.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:13 PM
mcar00
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by redtopz
FYI, the OP is not talking about the main serpentine belt, only the A/C belt which runs inside of the main belt off a smaller pulley.
Yeah my bad. My comment above was related to the serpentine belt.

Get notified of new replies

To AC belt loss under high revs

Quick Reply: AC belt loss under high revs