Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you use for coverage for trailering your racecar?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 10:33 PM
StreetSpeed
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Default What do you use for coverage for trailering your racecar?

Folks,

I'm turning in the plates and going full race car with the Z06 this winter. However I would like to have the car covered under insurance should I get into an accident while trailering it. I called Progressive and they said Hagerty offers that kind of insurance, but I got a quick quote from Hagerty and it was more than I pay for Progressive for full coverage for the car. Anyone use any body specific just for trailering insurance? What do you pay?
Old 12-11-2013, 07:58 AM
Black89Z51
Suckin' gas, haulin' ass.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Isn't the car/trailer covered under the truck policy when it's physically connected to the truck?
Old 12-11-2013, 08:09 AM
StreetSpeed
Pro

Originally Posted by Black89Z51
Isn't the car/trailer covered under the truck policy when it's physically connected to the truck?
I THOUGHT that was a common misconception. I believe we asked that when I bought my new work truck/tow vehicle and our insurer said no. I do know that I had to buy separate insurance for the trailer itself if it was damaged while towing. It was very cheap, and I doubt it covers whatever is on the trailer. I'll try and remember to check with my insurance company today and report back.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:00 AM
Black89Z51
Suckin' gas, haulin' ass.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I contacted my insurance company in regards to my policy. My trailer is covered under my comprehensive policy, but the contents of the trailer are not. Guess I should look into getting some sort of insurance for the car while in transit, if that kind of policy even exists.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:32 AM
jbondfl
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

something else to check into..... I had a car stolen and found out that your DD CAR is covered by its own policy but the CONTENTS of your car are covered by your homeowners (if you have homeowners). Maybe the same for the trailer contents????? Maybe only applies to stolen, not damaged from collision..??...
Old 12-11-2013, 10:11 AM
jacks2000
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have my Firebird A Sedan covered by Hagerty for declared value of $25,000 for $203/yr. It's covered in the shop, in the trailer, at car shows and in the paddock. Just not on the track.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:38 AM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

"Race Car Insurance" is what you want to look into. It covers trailering, theft, damage in the paddock and fire coverage. It is available from NCM as well as Lockton Affinity. For $50K of coverage, I pay $315.

Jim
Old 12-11-2013, 10:56 AM
Adam Boca
Race Director

Location: www.ncminsurance.com Bowling Green KY Home of the Corvette!
Received 126 Likes on 66 Posts
CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Vet
St. Jude Donor '07-'08
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by StreetSpeed
Folks,

I'm turning in the plates and going full race car with the Z06 this winter. However I would like to have the car covered under insurance should I get into an accident while trailering it. I called Progressive and they said Hagerty offers that kind of insurance, but I got a quick quote from Hagerty and it was more than I pay for Progressive for full coverage for the car. Anyone use any body specific just for trailering insurance? What do you pay?
Give us a call and see if we can put together a quote. We can do coverage in Transit, Storage and while in the Paddock. It would be physical damage coverage with an agreed value.

Thanks!

Adam Boca
www.ncminsurance.com
Old 12-11-2013, 04:11 PM
eogel
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I pay $250 per year for 2 C4 race cars and 2 trailers. Coverage in storage, transit, in paddock, but not on track. Each one has a declared value. Company is Heacock Classic at 800-678-5173
Old 12-11-2013, 06:05 PM
StreetSpeed
Pro

Great information, thanks guys! Adam I'll be calling you soon. I double checked with State Farm and that is definitely not the way to go.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:02 PM
yooper
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 12-12-2013, 11:21 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Black89Z51
That is correct...at least in my situation. I'm sure my agent knows that the trailered car would be covered under it's own policy.

Originally Posted by jacks2000
I have my Firebird A Sedan covered by Hagerty for declared value of $25,000 for $203/yr. It's covered in the shop, in the trailer, at car shows and in the paddock. Just not on the track.
yes your car is covered at the track, just not while on the track.

Originally Posted by jlutherva
"Race Car Insurance" is what you want to look into. It covers trailering, theft, damage in the paddock and fire coverage. It is available from NCM as well as Lockton Affinity. For $50K of coverage, I pay $315.

Jim
That's per event right? And I think it's more track event coverage based on the $ amount you want to insure...don't think there is a 'race car' insurance. (if there is don't tell my bro, who trashed a ProStock car once).
Old 12-13-2013, 09:31 AM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary2KC5
That is correct...at least in my situation. I'm sure my agent knows that the trailered car would be covered under it's own policy.

yes your car is covered at the track, just not while on the track.

That's per event right? And I think it's more track event coverage based on the $ amount you want to insure...don't think there is a 'race car' insurance. (if there is don't tell my bro, who trashed a ProStock car once).
Race Care insurance does not cover damage occurring on the track or provide any liability insurance, just the off-track incidences. HPDE insurance covers damage to your vehicle occurring on-track during a non-competitive, non-timed event. I don't know of any insurance that covers damage to cars occurring during a competitive event.

Jim

Get notified of new replies

To What do you use for coverage for trailering your racecar?

Quick Reply: What do you use for coverage for trailering your racecar?