Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6 point Harness mounting in C5 Track car

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 11:40 AM
Sebring27
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 6 point Harness mounting in C5 Track car

Hi,

I have completely stripped in side of my z06 and now have a cage.
Where do most people mount the side and sub belts?
I have Hardbar seat brackets.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Old 11-25-2013, 01:15 PM
2MCHPWR
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

my belts are attached right to the hardbar brackets. eye bolts and such.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:32 PM
Sebring27
Instructor

Originally Posted by 2MCHPWR
my belts are attached right to the hardbar brackets. eye bolts and such.
Many thanks - Much appreciated !
Old 11-25-2013, 01:56 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

You will need to ensure you have the proper angles for these belts. Schroth specifies a 20 deg angle towards the rear for their anti-sub belts with a 4" spacing so that the belts do not run at a lateral angle from their anchoring point to the belt receiver.
I have a piece of 1/8" steel with the edges bent up ~1/4" (to add rigidity) along the bottom of the car, against the floorpan. The anti-sub belts may see instantaneous forces of 7k pounds (or more) depending on the speed delta. The OEM seat mount has an anchor point for one of the three belt anchors, and that system uses relatively floppy belts (which result in less stress on the mount) and relies on an airbag to control forward movement. When you anchor the lap belts and anti-sub belts of a harness setup to the OEM seat mount setup, I think you are adding significantly more stress than was initially considered for the OEM mount design. In practice, the additional loads may not cause a problem since I have not heard of mounts breaking/floors cracking etc. It would be interesting to see what the WC/Grand Am teams did.
I would like to install a similar piece of channel for the rear seat mount and the lap anchors, but my reading is that it is forbidden under NASA's ST rules (OEM seat mounting straps must be unaltered).

Last edited by RX-Ben; 11-25-2013 at 02:00 PM.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:31 PM
Sebring27
Instructor

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
You will need to ensure you have the proper angles for these belts. Schroth specifies a 20 deg angle towards the rear for their anti-sub belts with a 4" spacing so that the belts do not run at a lateral angle from their anchoring point to the belt receiver.
I have a piece of 1/8" steel with the edges bent up ~1/4" (to add rigidity) along the bottom of the car, against the floorpan. The anti-sub belts may see instantaneous forces of 7k pounds (or more) depending on the speed delta. The OEM seat mount has an anchor point for one of the three belt anchors, and that system uses relatively floppy belts (which result in less stress on the mount) and relies on an airbag to control forward movement. When you anchor the lap belts and anti-sub belts of a harness setup to the OEM seat mount setup, I think you are adding significantly more stress than was initially considered for the OEM mount design. In practice, the additional loads may not cause a problem since I have not heard of mounts breaking/floors cracking etc. It would be interesting to see what the WC/Grand Am teams did.
I would like to install a similar piece of channel for the rear seat mount and the lap anchors, but my reading is that it is forbidden under NASA's ST rules (OEM seat mounting straps must be unaltered).
Many thanks - Very much appreciated !

Get notified of new replies

To 6 point Harness mounting in C5 Track car

Quick Reply: 6 point Harness mounting in C5 Track car