Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autocross - Daily Driver C6 Z51 - Brake Pads?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 10:00 PM
jwd
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Autocross - Daily Driver C6 Z51 - Brake Pads?

Orig. 2008 z51 brake pads will likely need to be replaced soon.

Looking at autocross in 2014, but the car will remain a daily driver… Autocross maybe once, twice, a month?

Seriously considering replacing with the z51-spec pads from GM.

Can anyone that daily-drives, and autocrosses, a z51 C6 advise a different pad? (IOW has driven/autocrossed both the stock z51 pads and a pad they find superior for auto crossing a daily driver?) Reasons and/or examples of why their preferred pad is better for daily driving? AutoX?

Thanks

jwd
Old 11-20-2013, 11:45 PM
steponc
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Default brake pads

Performance Friction Z pads. Less fade, quite and less dust.
Old 11-28-2013, 02:52 AM
jwd
Instructor

Originally Posted by steponc
Performance Friction Z pads. Less fade, quite and less dust.
Thanks, will look into them!

jwd
Old 11-28-2013, 06:30 AM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

Ferodo DS2500
Old 11-28-2013, 02:51 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Here's an article I wrote about brake pads last year. Basically I say that you should pick a company and then let them make the specific choice for you. Performance Friction and Carbotech have a huge variety of pads. Explain to them what you're trying to do and then be prepared to answer a few questions.

There are just so many choices out there.

Richard Newton
Old 11-28-2013, 10:40 PM
CONE RACER
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I've compared the stock pads against of couple different compounds. But first remember, the age old rule still holds true - All brake pads are a choice of compromises. While they may excel in one area of performance, there is always a trade-off in another area.

The factory compound used for the Z-51 pad is a "fair" pad for AX. It works OK at ambient, gets better by the third or fourth run. Seems to stay consistent after it warms up. Reasonable to use for both street and AX if you don't want to change brakes out for the weekend.

For AX usage, here is how the factory pads stack up against a couple of street compounds.

GOOD:
Carbotech 1521 street pads - not so good on the first pass or in cold temps, especially with R Comp tires. Need to get a bit of heat in them before they start to work. Moderate bite once warm. Definitely the most quiet pad on the street and the lowest dusting. (Note: Carbotech does not suggest in any way this compound is designed for AX performance. I've just run them at times when I was too lazy to take them off and put on the AX pads.) Moderately priced / best wearing.

BETTER:
OEM z51 pads - moderate and consistent bite. Drag the brakes while going to the starting line to help put a little heat in them. They work fair with R Comps and decent with street tires. Occasionally you'll hear a little noise from them on the street due to dust build up. Overall, they are moderately dusty, more than some of the street only cars like. Even more dusty when AX'ing. The actual OEM pads are expensive. Wear is good.

BEST:
Carbotech AX6 - best bite of them all. Starts working right off the line at ambient temp's. Will hold an R Comp tire very well. Works all the way into the ABS with good modulation and feel. Street tires go into ABS pretty quickly. However, they sound like an old school bus on the street. Lots of squeal and even more dust. Moderately priced for a race pad, but they wear very quickly.

Hope that helps some. YMMV, but I think as long as you are not chasing that last 0.01 of a second in AX and you want a combo of DD and AX, you will be happy with the factory pad compound.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:54 AM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

CONE RACER: Good write up, I have been running the Carbotech 1521 street pads on my DD and have been happy with them - http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...on-07-z51.html
Old 12-04-2013, 11:14 PM
jwd
Instructor

Originally Posted by rfn026
Here's an article I wrote about brake pads last year. Basically I say that you should pick a company and then let them make the specific choice for you. Performance Friction and Carbotech have a huge variety of pads. Explain to them what you're trying to do and then be prepared to answer a few questions.

There are just so many choices out there.

Richard Newton

Richard,

Thanks, will contact one or two companies and see what I find out.

Appreciate the reply.

jwd
Old 12-04-2013, 11:19 PM
jwd
Instructor

Originally Posted by CONE RACER
I've compared the stock pads against of couple different compounds. But first remember, the age old rule still holds true - All brake pads are a choice of compromises. While they may excel in one area of performance, there is always a trade-off in another area.

The factory compound used for the Z-51 pad is a "fair" pad for AX. It works OK at ambient, gets better by the third or fourth run. Seems to stay consistent after it warms up. Reasonable to use for both street and AX if you don't want to change brakes out for the weekend.

For AX usage, here is how the factory pads stack up against a couple of street compounds.

GOOD:
Carbotech 1521 street pads - not so good on the first pass or in cold temps, especially with R Comp tires. Need to get a bit of heat in them before they start to work. Moderate bite once warm. Definitely the most quiet pad on the street and the lowest dusting. (Note: Carbotech does not suggest in any way this compound is designed for AX performance. I've just run them at times when I was too lazy to take them off and put on the AX pads.) Moderately priced / best wearing.

BETTER:
OEM z51 pads - moderate and consistent bite. Drag the brakes while going to the starting line to help put a little heat in them. They work fair with R Comps and decent with street tires. Occasionally you'll hear a little noise from them on the street due to dust build up. Overall, they are moderately dusty, more than some of the street only cars like. Even more dusty when AX'ing. The actual OEM pads are expensive. Wear is good.

BEST:
Carbotech AX6 - best bite of them all. Starts working right off the line at ambient temp's. Will hold an R Comp tire very well. Works all the way into the ABS with good modulation and feel. Street tires go into ABS pretty quickly. However, they sound like an old school bus on the street. Lots of squeal and even more dust. Moderately priced for a race pad, but they wear very quickly.

Hope that helps some. YMMV, but I think as long as you are not chasing that last 0.01 of a second in AX and you want a combo of DD and AX, you will be happy with the factory pad compound.

Cone Racer,

Thanks! This is very helpful info. I appreciate the reply.

jwd
Old 12-05-2013, 11:39 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 490 Likes on 417 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

If you decide to go with Carbotech I will be happy to help you.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 12-05-2013, 01:26 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

I run hawk HP+ on the street and they work well cold.
Apparently their DTC30 works cold as well, but has more bite and higher max heat.

Im planning on trying DTC30 or AX6 with my next brakepad changeout

Get notified of new replies

To Autocross - Daily Driver C6 Z51 - Brake Pads?

Quick Reply: Autocross - Daily Driver C6 Z51 - Brake Pads?