Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chump Race at AMP this past weekend

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 02:43 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Default Chump Race at AMP this past weekend

Any members here in the race this past weekend? I understand the two front running BMW's had a little mishap toward the end of the last day. We were out early with a loose wheel bearing.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:57 PM
btlgrd
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 54 Likes on 21 Posts

I was there for the race. We had a 4 man team driving the #427 Racer's Retreat Miata.
I had a HUA moment in the first stint on day one and went off turn one and sat in the sand trap for 30 minutes. That put as about as far back as possible and we came back to finish 14th out of a field of 42 cars.

Day 2. I started first stint again and near the back and had moved up to maybe 25th place before the gear box blew up. I was able to get it in 4th and off line, checked I wasn't dropping fluid and made it back to the pit with the tranny sounding like a pop corn popper. We bought a gear box from another team, and were back on the track about 2.5 to 3 hours later. The other 3 drivers splitting up the remaining 3 hours until about 20 minutes to the end we went off track. 2 tires had the bead broke and a damaged brake line and we were done.

This was my first Chump car race and I wasn't sure what to expect. I had heard things like 'bumper cars for adults' etc so I thought there might be a lot of carnage on Atlanta Motorsports' 2 mile track.

That said, I thought most of the drivers were well behaved. I think we rubbed paint with a few cars (maybe 3 times), but very minor. AMP has a lot of elevation change, couple blind corners and lots of off camber and it's relatively narrow (I've heard people say it's too narrow for racing and there aren't any passing zones). I saw plenty of passing and 3 wide in a number of areas (main straight, the sweepers (14, 15, 16) leading to the main straight, the short straights after turns 1 & 6.

I have a dedicated C6 track car and I had a blast in the Miata. We could corner about as well as any of the cars out there but not quite enough acceleration or top end speed.

I've got a lot to learn about high performance driving, both wheel to wheel racing and HPDE/track days so my opinion probably doesn't carry much weight. But, I liked the 7 hour Chump Car races and the AMP track and I can't wait to do it again at AMP next year and hopefully at some other tracks!
Old 11-04-2013, 06:06 PM
speedspeed
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I was there and right behind the wreck. I thought the red BMW was going to role over but he caught it with two wheels high in the sky!!! Had a blast running this track its a non stop roller coaster.

Charles Wicht
Gt-1 C6 Corvette
Old 11-04-2013, 06:14 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

My team was in the old '84 blk/orange/yellow Camaro. I took the first stint and the last hour on Sat. We were black flagged with oil smoke from leaking valve cover plugs after the first few laps. I got back out with 12 laps down but we worked our way back up to 9th by the end. On Sunday a wheel bearing finally got us knocked out. Hope no one was hurt with the bmw's. Heard from a friend it was a loud crash.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:27 PM
btlgrd
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
My team was in the old '84 blk/orange/yellow Camaro. I took the first stint and the last hour on Sat. We were black flagged with oil smoke from leaking valve cover plugs after the first few laps. I got back out with 12 laps down but we worked our way back up to 9th by the end. On Sunday a wheel bearing finally got us knocked out. Hope no one was hurt with the bmw's. Heard from a friend it was a loud crash.
Our pit spot was right next to the ambulance and I asked EMT after the race if everyone was okay after that wreck and he said they were.

The way you cruised past me in the Camero made me want to be in my C6. I was talking to a buddy on Randy P's team and he said Randy did a 1:33 in your Camero. If that's true...that's impressive with the tires and everything else.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:12 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by btlgrd
Our pit spot was right next to the ambulance and I asked EMT after the race if everyone was okay after that wreck and he said they were.

The way you cruised past me in the Camero made me want to be in my C6. I was talking to a buddy on Randy P's team and he said Randy did a 1:33 in your Camero. If that's true...that's impressive with the tires and everything else.
Yeah, he got a 133.9 after my turn. My best just before his stint was a 135.4. All in all I'll take that! 1.5 seconds behind a professional works for me.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:26 PM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Received 362 Likes on 284 Posts

I have a Chump E30 and am looking to rent 2 seats for the upcoming CMS race.

Car is well prepped and has previous chump time on it. Car just did Chin at VIR - 6 hours w/ no issues.

If you know anyone interested please contact me (Ken)

I'll be at T Daze at VIR next week as well for practice.
Old 11-05-2013, 02:30 PM
btlgrd
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Yeah, he got a 133.9 after my turn. My best just before his stint was a 135.4. All in all I'll take that! 1.5 seconds behind a professional works for me.
I'd be pretty happy with that too. Don't think I could get that close to his time.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:14 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by KNSBrakes
I have a Chump E30 and am looking to rent 2 seats for the upcoming CMS race.

Car is well prepped and has previous chump time on it. Car just did Chin at VIR - 6 hours w/ no issues.

If you know anyone interested please contact me (Ken)

I'll be at T Daze at VIR next week as well for practice.
Does the car have good brakes? J/K PM sent.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:36 PM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Received 362 Likes on 284 Posts

I have not driven it yet - Paul the co-owner did.

He races a Spec E30 already.

2:20's in the SpecE30 - consistent 2:25's in the Chump Car

No ABS and OLD tires.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:19 PM
Z06TWT
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Passed RP at Chump!

I was there driving a red Miata for Protech Racing...in pit spot #4 near the Camero . This was my first Chump race and it was a blast. We ran EC but seemed to be a mid pack car (broken transponder). Everyone was great, except for the Taurus SHO who thought his sole job was to block all passes! The entire weekend was relatively calm until the last hour when all of the leaders decided to start pushing/rubbin, that's when we saw the BMW sandwich on the front straight. I am looking forward to running at Road Atlanta in February. Doing Chump seems like a great addition to the DE events that I run in my C5Z......and the price can't be beat By the way, I passed Randy P. in his Volvo between 6-7 after he broke down.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:33 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

I had a GREAT time with you Southern! More fun is in the future. After thinking about it, I bet our problem was the steering box. O well, there is always the next race. Thanks for letting this old man drive with you guys. Randy is ready to do it again!

GREAT DRIVING!

Jim
Old 11-06-2013, 09:43 AM
JohnAlley
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Any members here in the race this past weekend? I understand the two front running BMW's had a little mishap toward the end of the last day. We were out early with a loose wheel bearing.
Sounds like a load of fun Artie, maybe some day I need to look into this.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:14 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JohnAlley
Sounds like a load of fun Artie, maybe some day I need to look into this.
Dr. Evil (Ric) showed up with a team, too. He wasn't in his Miata but I think everyone had a great time.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:42 AM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

The gang!

Look who the BLACK SHEEP was!

Jim
Old 11-06-2013, 12:07 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I sure liked your video. Some nice smooth, fast driving, buddy.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:58 PM
autoxer6
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ChumpCar is a blast! I have run 3 events now in my '91 MR2. Here are the first two laps at Road America from a couple of weeks ago. I passed 20 cars in those two laps.

Rolling Start, two wide 83 cars!!!
Very cold, and wet!
Cold tire pressure was set 12 pounds lower that hot temps and would should have done 13 or 14.

Chris Shay

Get notified of new replies

To Chump Race at AMP this past weekend

Old 11-07-2013, 05:03 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Did anyone get a video of the National Anthem where the singer lost his voice and everyone there finished the anthem? Man, that was great. Pretty darn good singers, too!
Old 11-14-2013, 10:14 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

We will be back!

Jim
Old 11-14-2013, 11:37 PM
sean.b
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

i almost went with David Chow, but my schedule is too erratic to predict it, and he wanted me to get in a few laps with him before vetting me. i really think ill be a part of it next year, though!

Quick Reply: Chump Race at AMP this past weekend