Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much would a supercharger effect handling?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 09:40 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 100 Posts

Default How much would a supercharger effect handling?

I know there are heat issues with a supercharger,that's not what I'm asking. I have a car that is primarily street driven.....but would like to do some roadcourse events in the future. I am looking to do my next power mod and can't decide h/c/I or s/c? I would like to hear from people (with experience) as to how much the extra 80ish lbs (centri) would effect the handling? Current mods: phadt featherlights,z06 sway bars,kuhmo xs tires.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:50 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

I had a longer reply, but to answer your question succinctly, I would rather take 80 lbs off the front end and keep the power stock than add an 80 lb supercharger with another 200 hp.
Old 11-02-2013, 12:12 PM
J.R.
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

posted by redtopz
I had a longer reply, but to answer your question succinctly, I would rather take 80 lbs off the front end and keep the power stock than add an 80 lb supercharger with another 200 hp

I agree.

Quality seat time (have a purpose and goal each time on track). Car setup (suspension, alignment etc.) Then H/C . You will really be surprised how fast you can go in a stock Vette.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:51 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

I think he posted this before, and he was only going to do a couple events a year. He wasn't looking for it to make him faster on track, rather more concerned with the weight of the blower adversely affecting handling. If you're only doing 1 or 2 events a year, you'll never get good enough to notice the adverse affect that the blower has on handling. Conversely, the additional power will put a smile on your face every time you squeeze the loud pedal. Does that sum you up OP?
Old 11-03-2013, 09:17 AM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
I think he posted this before, and he was only going to do a couple events a year. He wasn't looking for it to make him faster on track, rather more concerned with the weight of the blower adversely affecting handling. If you're only doing 1 or 2 events a year, you'll never get good enough to notice the adverse affect that the blower has on handling. Conversely, the additional power will put a smile on your face every time you squeeze the loud pedal. Does that sum you up OP?
Yeah,I probably won't be able to track the car but a few times a year (hopefully more but...) I still want it to remain a car that you can travel/go out to dinner with w/o being obnoxious. But I'm looking for a well rounded car and not a drag car.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:46 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
If you're only doing 1 or 2 events a year, you'll never get good enough to notice the adverse affect that the blower has on handling.
Well I guess if that's the case, then it's a moot point. But as someone who has built a 750 whp procharged ls2 and now runs with a basic ls6 my opinion would be not to install a supercharger on a vette. You can't really ever use the power on the street (legally) and it makes the car harder to drive on a road course. Instead of focusing on driving, you'll be worrying about air fuel ratios, boost levels, and overheating. Plus, you will be slower than guys with stock engines on a roadcourse and have a longer learning curve. The only reason I can think to install a supercharger is for drag racing or standing miles. Otherwise, if you want more power go with intake/headers/tune and you can add a mild cam later if desired. Just my $.02.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:55 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

There's that logic thing again. I'm trying to think of what he'd enjoy 361 days of the year. My way of thinking for a street guy is add power, happy, get jaded, add more power. The blower is a 1 stop shop and any more than the 700ish he'd get from the blower would be completely unusable. I don't want to push him toward a blower, but I also don't want to dissuade him from it. With a proper tune AFRs won't be an issue and if he short shifts, he can probably combat overheating to a degree. Make no mistake OP, the supercharged car will NOT be as fun on a road course. But since you're building a swiss army knife, it's not a deal killer IMO. What would I do in your shoes? H/C/I or better yet, stroker!
Old 11-03-2013, 11:36 AM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Thanks for the replies
Old 11-03-2013, 12:00 PM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 100 Posts

Have you considered spray? You can have your fun when you want then and just remove the bottle when one the way to the track. Also it's much easier to take off if you want a more focused track car later down the road.

Just a thought.

If you are going blower, have you seen the new Heartbeat blower? Might be a nice option and will give similar levels of power to a zr1. Or there is the whipple also.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:10 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

I haven't quite figured out having power adders on a Vette street car yet. Stock the car comes with more power than you can use safely in a street situation. With the power adders the only thing you get is you don't have to push the go pedal as hard but the available traction, traffic situation, trees, parked cars, bicycles, joggers, kids playing and your brain will still be limiting your speed to about what you do without the adders.

Bill
Old 11-03-2013, 06:49 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I haven't quite figured out having power adders on a Vette street car yet. Stock the car comes with more power than you can use safely in a street situation. With the power adders the only thing you get is you don't have to push the go pedal as hard but the available traction, traffic situation, trees, parked cars, bicycles, joggers, kids playing and your brain will still be limiting your speed to about what you do without the adders.

Bill
That is kinda my thoughts most of the time......but it's easy to get caught up in the hp#'s game from time to time.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:10 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

Bill
Bill with that logic we wouldn't have gotten the C6Z or the ZR1. Hell, none of us really NEED base model vettes, but that's not the point now is it? These cars aren't logical purchases, they're purchases of passion. Logic is good to interject to vehicle modifications, but shouldn't be the only factor.

Get notified of new replies

To How much would a supercharger effect handling?

Quick Reply: How much would a supercharger effect handling?