Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Previous 24 Hours of Daytona spectators, please step inside...

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 04:40 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Previous 24 Hours of Daytona spectators, please step inside...

I think this year will certainly be historic based on the 2 series combining for the 24 hours. It will be great to see the Corvette's back at Daytona along with a star studded line up of international drivers. Was finally thinking of making the trip this year with my son. I want to draw on all the knowledge from the veterans who have gone to Daytona in the past.

I will probably fly into Orlando as the flights are the cheapest from my point of origination. I don't own an RV, but I would be cool to rent one in Orlando and drive it up and stay in the infield during the weekend race. I am sure a hotel will cost me $250+ per night, so I wouldn't mind paying a bit extra to rent a decent RV for the weekend and stay at the race track itself. Has anyone done this? If so can you provide some insight? Is there power hookups? How is the comfort of staying at the track. Is food available?
Old 11-01-2013, 05:41 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I went about 15 years ago.
RV is a great idea. Hotel was cheap as this is (or at least was) off-peak time.

I think there was food, but the track is in an urban area, so it is easy to find a bunch of restaurants within a 10 minute drive.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:09 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

I don't know anything about renting RV's or a hotel room - I live here!!!

Butt....2 things I have enjoyed at the Rolex:
  1. The "Taste of the 24":

https://foundation.nascar.com/NetCom...aste-of-the-24

As it states in that link, there are a bunch of local restaurants that set up to feed you small appetizer type plates of their best stuff. There are usually about 28 restaurants, so by the time you've been to 8 or 10 of them you're pretty stuffed!!

Then you can sit up in the corporate skyboxes for several hours (my wife and I usually stay until they kick us out at about 11:00PM when they start cleaning up). It's a GREAT place to eat and watch the action for several hours Sat evening.

The "Taste" tickets (the $95 ones) include infield admission for Sat and Sun. My wife and I go out Sat about noon and wander around the garage area and watch the start of the race, then go up to the backstretch skyboxes for the "Taste". Then we go out about noon Sun to watch the end of the race.

It looks like this year they have a $50 ticket that just includes the "Taste" (and a $25 ticket for a chance at winning a Rolex watch) Sat evening if you have some other type of admission tickets for the race.

2. Keep watching this section of the forum, as well as the Southeast section, for info about our "Forum Get Together" that we've been doing every Friday evening of the Rolex for the last 5 or 6 years.

We have been having 20-30 forum members get together at a local Daytona restaurant Friday evening of the event. We'll start putting up info about the event the end of Dec or beginning of Jan to gauge interest, where we'd like to eat, etc.
C'ya at the track!!

Bob
Old 11-01-2013, 06:24 PM
Han Solo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's been about 3 years since my last 24 but hotels were available for under $100 if you got one 8 to 12 miles away. This doesn't sound practical for you since you would at least have to rent a car so the RV may be the way to go if they are reasonable. Of course then you have the extra cost of RV parking. Do they guarantee a spot for RV parking? I have heard the infield was over sold the past couple of years. That would royally **** me off to have infield tickets and get turned away at the gate.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:49 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 129 Posts

Wife and I have never been, thinking about going this year.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:22 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

You won't be doing any RV parking at the Speedway for the Rolex!!!

Take a look at the Daytona Int'l Speedway site - you'll see that their premium, yellow, and red RV sites are all sold out:

http://www.daytonainternationalspeed...a/Camping.aspx

Bob
Old 11-01-2013, 09:23 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Check prices flying into Jacksonville then drive down. If you want a hotel see what is available at Daytona Beach along the ocean. When I went 14 years ago hotel prices at that time of the year were cheap. The race didn't seem to cause the prices to go up as there aren't that many who attend. Be prepared for cold weather. Take your winter jacket as it can get pretty cold when the temps drop into the 40s with a 20 mph wind blowing from the west.

Bill
Old 11-02-2013, 05:00 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06
You won't be doing any RV parking at the Speedway for the Rolex!!!

Take a look at the Daytona Int'l Speedway site - you'll see that their premium, yellow, and red RV sites are all sold out:

http://www.daytonainternationalspeed...a/Camping.aspx

Bob
That ends that idea, should have checked that first. So I will pass, will check the cars out at the 6 hours of the Glen since they took Baltimore off the schedule.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:49 PM
KBlanke
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 95jersey
That ends that idea, should have checked that first. So I will pass, will check the cars out at the 6 hours of the Glen since they took Baltimore off the schedule.
Check into the Geico west campgrounds outside of turn 1, we having been staying there for the past several years. The spots have power and water, the tram stop is about 100 yards from our RV spot.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:45 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Matt - this is what Roger and I are doing.

We are flying down Newark to Orlando on Thursday and returning on Monday.

We are staying at Perry Ocean Edge Resort about $120 per night. (Found it on Grassroots motorsports).

our tickets are the champion club package which includes private seating, food, parking, garage access. $455

We rented a Dodge Avenger from Dollar $35 per day.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:49 AM
0Johnny@MTI
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a few buds that work the events. so i can get in for super cheap..

this is going to be a super fun event!!
Old 11-04-2013, 11:20 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by 95jersey
We did WGI last year and enjoyed it. Will be skipping this year. Plan to do COTA.

Get notified of new replies

To Previous 24 Hours of Daytona spectators, please step inside...

Quick Reply: Previous 24 Hours of Daytona spectators, please step inside...