Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 rear diffuser update

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 08:04 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Default C6 rear diffuser update

It's been a year and I have finally gotten around to finishing off my diffuser design. It is all carbon and Kevlar, 7deg angle, light camber, 41" long and 40" wide. I have attached some photos of the rough mock up using boards to hold it somewhat in place (still needs sanding and cleanup before mounting). The plan is to eventually seal off the central tunnel with 1/8" aluminum (yes it would include naca ducts for cooling) and smooth out the floorpan cutouts with honeycomb/ carbon panels. Heat control will be the heavy duty (as opposed to the gold stuff) 17oz/yd silver adhesive backed heat shield foil.

Im planning on using 4 of the same turnbuckles found on splitters for
the mounting at the rear of the diffuser, but am still trying to figure out how to best mount the front facing part to the subframe. Any ideas?

Old 10-31-2013, 08:27 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

attach to the leaf spring holes and/or off the lower control arm bolts.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:53 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Will it stand up to the heat of the exhaust? Or will that tin foil stuff go between it? I've melted a bumper cover with an exhaust tip before, enough prolonged WOT will do that. Curious to see how this develops.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:57 AM
5280Racer
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

keep the wheels turning....!
Old 11-03-2013, 12:04 PM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 100 Posts

Looks a nice piece! How come you haven't run a steeper angle on the side sections? It looks like you could run a fairly steep angle on them as the exhaust isn't in the way.

Also have you done anything at the front to smooth out airflow (flat floor)?
Old 11-03-2013, 06:41 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Thanks for the comments!

Once the part is finished up Im going to get the car on a lift and see if I can use those points to mount it.

The heat of the exhaust would warp the panel so Im planning on using this stuff: http://www.hrpworld.com/store/defaul...-ft-13863.html

Using a steeper angle risks flow separation which reduces downforce. The optimum range of angles for a rear diffuser are between 7 and 10 degrees. I just went with 7 to be conservative. If I could eventually get ahold of a copy of solidworks Id like to test a few different configurations to see how much downforce could be achieved.

The rest of the car isnt flattened out yet, but thats in the plan. Once everything is sealed up on the exhaust/driveshaft tunnel and front subframe, Ill feel comfortable enough to remove the front valence and get some more front grip (this will also help feed more air to the rear diffuser). The front subframe is a getting a carbon/kevlar panel with heat shield backing, and the current plan for the tunnel is to have a panel made from 1/8" aluminum.

Last edited by el es tu; 11-03-2013 at 06:44 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:44 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Default update

New exhaust allows diffuser placement closer to the frame:

Old 04-08-2014, 11:00 AM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

I'm doing the same thing now, but I wanted no exhaust back there to get the diffuser up as far as possible.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:06 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

nice!

Old 04-08-2014, 11:10 AM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Did you buy the cf sheets pre bent, or did you mold them? If so, how?
Old 04-08-2014, 11:21 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

There should be a thread with pictures from a few years ago if you want to see the process, but started with foam board, cut out the parts and got the basic shape to test on the car. Then smoothed out the corners, did a few adjustments and made a fiberglass piece from that, then turned it into a mold. The current diffuser is extremely modular in order to be able to replace broken parts, but was so labor intense, that any future ones are going to be two piece or one piece redesigned with a foam core.

This company makes universal parts for diffusers, however its kind of expensive:
http://www.reverie.ltd.uk/product_li...roup=A%20RDIFF

Also there's a company called Difflow - they make aluminum diffusers for various cars and will build custom ones to your specs:
http://www.difflow.com/

Looking back, I would just have had an aluminum one made by Difflow rather than go through the cost and labor of R&Ding the cf one...

Last edited by el es tu; 04-08-2014 at 11:25 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Difflow (04-28-2016)
Old 04-22-2016, 11:39 AM
Driftns2k
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice job! I love custom prices like this.
Old 04-22-2016, 01:03 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Thanks! Photos of the finished part are on this thread: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-diffuser.html

Last edited by el es tu; 04-22-2016 at 01:07 PM.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:21 PM
qu1Z
Heel & Toe

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by el es tu

Also there's a company called Difflow - they make aluminum diffusers for various cars and will build custom ones to your specs:
http://www.difflow.com/

Looking back, I would just have had an aluminum one made by Difflow rather than go through the cost and labor of R&Ding the cf one...

Difflow now has a Corvette C7 Stingray and Z06 diffuser in the works, launches May 7th! http://www.difflow.com
Old 04-28-2016, 10:48 AM
Dubstep Shep
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

As far as diffuser design goes, what dimensions and geometry is considered ideal?

For example, on a wing, the further up and back it is, the better.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:54 AM
0Difflow
Former Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dubstep Shep
As far as diffuser design goes, what dimensions and geometry is considered ideal?

For example, on a wing, the further up and back it is, the better.
The diffuser body should stick out beyond the rear to reduce air swirl directly beyond the rear of the car. An ideal diffuser body angle is 12-14 degrees. Fins help channel the air from front to back.

Our C7 diffuser is being released May 7th.

http://www.difflow.com
Old 04-28-2016, 10:57 AM
Dubstep Shep
Pro

Originally Posted by Difflow
The diffuser body should stick out beyond the rear to reduce air swirl directly beyond the rear of the car. An ideal diffuser body angle is 12-14 degrees. Fins help channel the air from front to back.

Our C7 diffuser is being released May 7th.

http://www.difflow.com
Interesting...

I assume that like a front splitter, the further it extends under the car the better?

I don't have over axle exhaust on my car, so I would assume building the splitter into the area that the exhaust normally sits would be ideal. I'm just trying to confirm that.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 rear diffuser update

Old 04-28-2016, 10:59 AM
0Difflow
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Dubstep Shep
Interesting...

I assume that like a front splitter, the further it extends under the car the better?

I don't have over axle exhaust on my car, so I would assume building the splitter into the area that the exhaust normally sits would be ideal. I'm just trying to confirm that.
Ideally, a flat underbody on the entire car would be best. Objects like the exhaust disturb the air underneath the car, causing drag. We want the air to reach the diffuser so it can be properly channeled between the fins and shot out the back. Our diffuser will seal up the exhaust area.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:01 AM
Dubstep Shep
Pro

Originally Posted by Difflow
Ideally, a flat underbody on the entire car would be best. Objects like the exhaust disturb the air underneath the car, causing drag. We want the air to reach the diffuser so it can be properly channeled between the fins and shot out the back. Our diffuser will seal up the exhaust area.
You guys have any pics? Or can you PM me some? I'm quite curious.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:08 AM
0Difflow
Former Vendor

PM sent

Quick Reply: C6 rear diffuser update