Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bondurant School of Performance Driving

Old 10-23-2013, 11:02 AM
mysilvertoy
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bondurant School of Performance Driving

I've owned Corvettes for 13 years, a C5 purchased in 2000 and a C6 purchased in 2005.

Recently, I attended a 2-day program at the Bondurant School of Performance driving. If you don't know about it, look it up. In short, I spent 2 days racing Corvettes.

It was one of the best things I've ever done. But, IT MAKES ME WONDER WHETHER OR NOT I SHOULD BUY THE STINGRAY I WAS PLANNING TO BUY!!

Here's why:

The C6 is an amazing race car. The things it can do are almost incomprehensible if you've never done it. In fact, in my 13 years of owning Corvettes, I'm guessing that I've actually used the cars to maybe 20% of their capability. After all, if you drive in normal driving all the time, where/how can you ever push the car?

Now, I love driving my Corvette. But, now that I know what the car can do I'm wondering if I should spend $80,000 to get a new one when I know I'll never be able to really drive it!

What a dilemma (joke, joke).

My guess is that very few Corvette owners have ever really pushed their car. Why buy a street race car if you'll never have a chance to use it that way?
Old 10-23-2013, 11:10 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

You do know that there are track days almost every weekend within driving distance of everyone? Look up HPDE's. There, I assure you, you will greatly appreciate the corvette. You might look at 10/10ths Motorsports, Asphalt Adventures, TracksUnlimited, CHIN motorsports, NASA, NCM motorsports park, Wick's mini driving experience as examples.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:09 PM
randomus
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Corvettes @ Bondurant this weekend

For example, Bondurant has an event this weekend called Corvettes@Bondurant. Johnny O'Connell is hosting and not only is there track time but hot laps with Johnny, Darren Law, Bob Bondurant at the end of the day.

It was a great event last year, hoping this year will be even better.

They may still have space, if you have time this weekend.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:57 PM
BondurantHPD
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '08-'09

Glad you had a great time! You'll have to come back for the 4-day and really get some open track time out there. You'll be able to do it in the C7 too, which will help you make the decision of which one to get!
Old 10-24-2013, 02:37 AM
2 GTOs
Pro

St. Jude Donor '11-'12

I will be at corvettes @ Bondurant this weekend. Renting one of their grand sports. Wish I could upgrade to a C7.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:06 AM
jamsvet
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

Great time last weekend. Got to hammer the Z and had a blast. The track photogs said they got over 2000 shots of the cars, people and activities. 10 bucks gets the lot, such a deal.

Recommend this to anyone. Since Spring Mountain stopped Corvette Track Days, this is a great alternative. Much nicer guys, they act like they want you to be there. What a concept.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:42 AM
2 GTOs
Pro

St. Jude Donor '11-'12

I missed the last half of the second day. Any idea how to get hooked up to get the pictures?
Old 10-30-2013, 11:01 AM
randomus
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just call them, they can get you hooked up.

We had a great time as well, its really nice when you feel like everyone from Bob Bondurant, his wife, Johnny O'Connell, Darren Law, every instructor, the techs, the ground crew, and every person on the staff is excited to have you there.

Another great event at Bondurant!!
Old 10-31-2013, 11:26 AM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 129 Posts

mysilvertoy - WELCOME to your new addiction!! Like others have posted: HPDE / Track Days!!! There's a Corvette Track Day at Eagles Canyon coming up on Saturday, November 9 in the DFW, TX area...part of the $$ goes to the National Corvette Museum. Lemme know if interested, there's a thread in the Southwest Forum about it.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:26 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Agree with SouthernSon. If you want to feel what the car is really capable of, take it to the track. You cannot consistently approach the limits of the car on the street.
As for your dilemma, if you think the C6 is great, you will love the C7. Those that track the C6 know all too well its limitations. Limitations that have almost completely addressed with the C7. For example:
Some of the base/GS C6 issues IMHO include:
1. dreadful stock tires -replaced with Michelin Pilot Super Sports
2. steering that is both light and numb - this is the major weakness in the car and even GM knows it. When the C7 was introduced, the very 1st improvement the lead engineer referenced was the 500% increase in steering stiffness. Not 25% or 50% but 500%!
3. lift in the front end @ speed - has been eliminated in the C7 (now if we can get some downforce up there, we'll be in business)
4. the interior is not particularly high quality. It is nowhere near as bad as the general media maddeningly repeats but there is quite a large room for improvement and the C7 does so in spades
5. the seats do not provide the support the performance of the car demands - fixed with higher bolsters in the stock C7 seats and a 2nd track orientated option
6. the auto trans shifts are quite slow - C7 improvement TBD
7. the Nav is seriously outdated as is the HUD - major upgrade in C7
Old 11-06-2013, 03:37 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 178 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by TKOGTO
Agree with SouthernSon. If you want to feel what the car is really capable of, take it to the track. You cannot consistently approach the limits of the car on the street.
As for your dilemma, if you think the C6 is great, you will love the C7. Those that track the C6 know all too well its limitations. Limitations that have almost completely addressed with the C7. For example:
Some of the base/GS C6 issues IMHO include:
1. dreadful stock tires -replaced with Michelin Pilot Super Sports
2. steering that is both light and numb - this is the major weakness in the car and even GM knows it. When the C7 was introduced, the very 1st improvement the lead engineer referenced was the 500% increase in steering stiffness. Not 25% or 50% but 500%!
3. lift in the front end @ speed - has been eliminated in the C7 (now if we can get some downforce up there, we'll be in business)
4. the interior is not particularly high quality. It is nowhere near as bad as the general media maddeningly repeats but there is quite a large room for improvement and the C7 does so in spades
5. the seats do not provide the support the performance of the car demands - fixed with higher bolsters in the stock C7 seats and a 2nd track orientated option
6. the auto trans shifts are quite slow - C7 improvement TBD
7. the Nav is seriously outdated as is the HUD - major upgrade in C7
I have a '12 GS, I've found I can turn 1.03g's on the GoodYear Supercars at my level, I'm sure better drivers could get more out of them. Just have to make sure they are warm before pushing the car in the turns. Can't stay with the R-compounds but this is a street car. Looking forward to trying the Michelin Pilot Super Sports even though they are not RF's in GS sizes.

The seats were improved for '12 too but then I'm driving an A-6 and don't have the same issues the M-6 drivers have with side support. The best solution would be racing seats and 5-point harness, heck if the stock seats could be modified to use a 5-point harness all the better as this car is still a daily driver. Would love to try the C-7 seats but couldn't get close enough to one at the auto show! The C-7 was really popular.

The A-6 transmission in my car seems to shift fine at 6k rpm's, the shift parameters were changed for '12.

Definitely take it to the track to find out what these great cars can really do. The only problem is you'll keep going back for more!
Old 11-06-2013, 09:05 PM
romaja
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mysilvertoy
I've owned Corvettes for 13 years, a C5 purchased in 2000 and a C6 purchased in 2005.

Recently, I attended a 2-day program at the Bondurant School of Performance driving. If you don't know about it, look it up. In short, I spent 2 days racing Corvettes.

It was one of the best things I've ever done. But, IT MAKES ME WONDER WHETHER OR NOT I SHOULD BUY THE STINGRAY I WAS PLANNING TO BUY!!

Here's why:

The C6 is an amazing race car. The things it can do are almost incomprehensible if you've never done it. In fact, in my 13 years of owning Corvettes, I'm guessing that I've actually used the cars to maybe 20% of their capability. After all, if you drive in normal driving all the time, where/how can you ever push the car?

Now, I love driving my Corvette. But, now that I know what the car can do I'm wondering if I should spend $80,000 to get a new one when I know I'll never be able to really drive it!

What a dilemma (joke, joke).

My guess is that very few Corvette owners have ever really pushed their car. Why buy a street race car if you'll never have a chance to use it that way?
I attended the Bob Bondurant 4 day Grand Prix Racing School last September. The first 3 days in the GS and the 4th day in the Mazda Formula car. My experience was very positive and was amazed at what the cars can really do. I also spoke with the mechanics and asked about issues they have seen. 107 Degrees and the cars performed without a hitch. I also appreciated the instructors skill level. My instructor had been there for over 20 years. Riding along in the instructors 500+ hp Caddy's whilst they demonstated was an experience in its own.

And Bob himself was present everyday. He was even present when my classmate spun his Mazda off the track and into pebbles!

I left AZ with a renewed perception and appreciation for the Corvette.

When I returned home I contemplated buying a new used C6. Then I laid my eyes upon the C7! My plan is to purchase a 2015 C7 and take it to HPDE at the local track several times a year.

Last edited by romaja; 11-06-2013 at 09:19 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Bondurant School of Performance Driving

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bondurant School of Performance Driving