Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How exactly does the oil pressure sender measure pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 10:45 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Default How exactly does the oil pressure sender measure pressure?

Does it measure a flow pressure as it goes by, or does it measure constant pressure? The reason I am asking is I have been monitoring my oil pressure since my accusump is down. I have 3 ports off my valve covers running into 2 small breather cans (crankcase pressure issues). It is not a closed system. Would that affect my pressure reading?
Old 10-23-2013, 12:53 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by waddisme
Does it measure a flow pressure as it goes by, or does it measure constant pressure? The reason I am asking is I have been monitoring my oil pressure since my accusump is down. I have 3 ports off my valve covers running into 2 small breather cans (crankcase pressure issues). It is not a closed system. Would that affect my pressure reading?
The oil pressure gauge works from the pressure in the oil galleys. Your breather should not change the oil pressure.

Randy
Old 10-23-2013, 07:32 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by waddisme
Does it measure a flow pressure as it goes by, or does it measure constant pressure? [...]
It's not a flow meter, so it reads instantaneous pressure (well, it's too slow to read instantaneously, but it reads it faster than the eye could on a gauge).

What Randy said on the breathers. Your oiling system is a closed system with a set of calibrated leaks -- these leaks are the small holes that supply the lifters, the cam bearings, and the crankshaft bearings. Once the oil 'leaks' thru those holes it is no longer pressurized until after it falls into the oil pan and is sucked up by the oil pump which again pressurizes it into the system (the oil galleys or galleries). Anything between the leak and the suction side of the oil pump is not pressurized (not intentionally, anyway). Rinse and repeat

Interesting roundtable on crankcase pressures/drainage: http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=37170

Last edited by Mark2009; 10-23-2013 at 07:35 PM.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:47 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Great explanation. Thanks. The linked thread is pretty technical plus lots of people who definitely have some hands on experience.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:21 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

And as a motor wears out and loosens up those "leaks" become bigger and bigger and the engine can lose the ability to maintain the same oil pressure.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:04 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by travisnd
And as a motor wears out and loosens up those "leaks" become bigger and bigger and the engine can lose the ability to maintain the same oil pressure.
My experience with LS motors the leaks become mortal soon after the first strange sound you hear in the crankcase.

Get notified of new replies

To How exactly does the oil pressure sender measure pressure?

Quick Reply: How exactly does the oil pressure sender measure pressure?