Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PSSST - Hey Buddy, Wanna Buy a Race Track

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 12:17 AM
Feffman
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Default PSSST - Hey Buddy, Wanna Buy a Race Track

Mid-America Motorplex (MAM) is up for auction. Any bidders?

http://www.auctionsolutionsinc.com/a...ility-auction/

Feff
Old 10-19-2013, 11:07 AM
FruiTay
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I waaaaaaaaant! Thats what i would do with my Lottery money....
Thats a real dream though.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:58 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

damn sounds like wont be operational next year if new buyer doesnt want to retian the track anymore
Old 03-31-2023, 06:58 PM
CaptJimDavis
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 32 Posts

Why I will never track my Vette?

Well I can mention few reasons but the most important one is that I don't want to risk of wrecking my Vette and being left without it for a lengthy time and throw $$$$$ to the beloved mechanics + body shops' way. Most of us are not related to Elon Musk or Jeff Bezos or have few oil wells in Kuwait... In my case it was a lot of sacrifice to finally get a Corvette at age 65. I am not poor but not wealthy as well. So why take extra risks by acting like I am a hot shot Formula 1 pilot and treat my "fun" car as if i bought it for getting points at a Grand Prix...???

Yet, I don't drive it as if I am in a Model T and taking it to a car show. Lively driving and cornering stability and yes, the sound, makes it fun to drive on twisty mountain or coastal roads, especially in a convertible on a nice warm day with clear blue skies and wind in my hair (yes I still have a full set of hair)...

Plus, again in my case, I wanted to get a Vette, join a car club and socialize with people mostly around my age in friendly settings. Like this weekend I'll be at a Corvette Show in Lodi, CA winery... I'd like to see my friends while sitting at a table sipping wine and chatting rather then trying to locate them in my rear view mirror or as a blurred image passing while they flying by me on a track!
Old 03-31-2023, 08:46 PM
Purple92
Melting Slicks

Received 786 Likes on 541 Posts

Gotta admit - following a friend into a 1 G, 90 MPH right hander about 3 feet off his rear bumper, knowing he won't do anything stupid seems like a LOT more Fun than sipping wine.

But to each his own .....
The following 4 users liked this post by Purple92:
Daniel_Mc (04-04-2023), Erik L (04-01-2023), herffstyle (04-05-2023), maj75 (04-01-2023)
Old 03-31-2023, 09:10 PM
CaptJimDavis
Instructor

Originally Posted by Purple92
Gotta admit - following a friend into a 1 G, 90 MPH right hander about 3 feet off his rear bumper, knowing he won't do anything stupid seems like a LOT more Fun than sipping wine.

But to each his own .....
I agree... I think I've passed my tail chasing days, whether it's a Corvette's tail or well, you know...
Old 03-31-2023, 09:20 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

But did you buy the track back in 2013?
The following 2 users liked this post by Aardwolf:
Erik L (04-01-2023), Supercharged111 (03-31-2023)
Old 04-01-2023, 03:07 PM
Bills17n72
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 514 Likes on 360 Posts

because they are fun
Old 04-03-2023, 03:13 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 771 Likes on 553 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptJimDavis

Well I can mention few reasons but the most important one is that I don't want to risk of wrecking my Vette and being left without it for a lengthy time and throw $$$$$ to the beloved mechanics + body shops' way. Most of us are not related to Elon Musk or Jeff Bezos or have few oil wells in Kuwait... In my case it was a lot of sacrifice to finally get a Corvette at age 65. I am not poor but not wealthy as well. So why take extra risks by acting like I am a hot shot Formula 1 pilot and treat my "fun" car as if i bought it for getting points at a Grand Prix...???

Yet, I don't drive it as if I am in a Model T and taking it to a car show. Lively driving and cornering stability and yes, the sound, makes it fun to drive on twisty mountain or coastal roads, especially in a convertible on a nice warm day with clear blue skies and wind in my hair (yes I still have a full set of hair)...

Plus, again in my case, I wanted to get a Vette, join a car club and socialize with people mostly around my age in friendly settings. Like this weekend I'll be at a Corvette Show in Lodi, CA winery... I'd like to see my friends while sitting at a table sipping wine and chatting rather then trying to locate them in my rear view mirror or as a blurred image passing while they flying by me on a track!
WTH??? You resurrect a ten year old thread about a track that you live nowhere near to, to tell us that you don't want to drive your car there.

Again, WTH?
The following users liked this post:
Jfryjfry (04-04-2023)
Old 04-03-2023, 04:43 PM
CaptJimDavis
Instructor

Originally Posted by 69427
WTH??? You resurrect a ten year old thread about a track that you live nowhere near to, to tell us that you don't want to drive your car there.

Again, WTH?
10 years ago I wasn't here... I own a Corvette since less than 3 weeks now. Is the concept dead just because Corvette owners were discussing this point also 10 years ago?
I did not dig this argument from the depth of the archieves. It was floating at the top levels and I added my opinion. The concept is "taking a corvette to track or not". Not the address of the track.
So, WTH is wrong with that?

I thought this forum was Corvette owners to state their opinions and discuss related issues to the Corvette ownership.
Sorry I caused more conversation... Didn't know it was irritating to some members!

Last edited by CaptJimDavis; 04-03-2023 at 04:51 PM.
Old 04-04-2023, 03:50 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

But if you had bought the track you wouldn’t have to drive to it.
herffstyle (04-05-2023)
Old 04-04-2023, 07:10 AM
blackozvet
Melting Slicks

Received 281 Likes on 216 Posts

You might want to just read some stuff for a while and not write anything - it astounds me (and Im sure others) that you are new to the forum and come into the Roadracing section to write an anti roadracing rant.
The following 3 users liked this post by blackozvet:
69427 (04-05-2023), Erik L (04-04-2023), _Rod_ (04-04-2023)
Old 04-04-2023, 07:25 AM
Erik L
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Yeah if you have a vette - or any sports car really,,,,and never drive it above the speed limit.....you are sort of missing the point. I feel sorry for you - you are wasting the life experience.
Old 04-04-2023, 12:06 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 735 Likes on 482 Posts

Now called ‘Raceway Park of the Midlands’.

I’ve run it multiple times, although not recently. It’s a really fun and safe track to run on.

Now: back to 2023! lol
Aardwolf (04-04-2023)
Old 04-04-2023, 12:42 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Welcome to the Corvette brother/sisterhood. They are fantastic cars. Congrats on finally getting one.

We love having you in the fold, but your post is getting mixed reviews because you did post in the section of the forum where all the people foolish enough to track or race their cars congregate. To some your post is confusing. To others it is blasphemy. Either way, no one else has ever come into this section and talked sensibly to us. ;-)

The following 3 users liked this post by Olitho:
Aardwolf (04-04-2023), Jfryjfry (04-04-2023), UstaB-GS549 (04-05-2023)
Old 04-05-2023, 03:32 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.

Originally Posted by thebishman
Now called ‘Raceway Park of the Midlands’.

I’ve run it multiple times, although not recently. It’s a really fun and safe track to run on.

Now: back to 2023! lol
I used to run it quite often. Fun, and a good test & tune track when I need to run a few laps and then come back in to make some checks or adjustments. Last year they got rid of the Fast Fridays and only offered track rental type packages. Not terribly convenient for some of us. I'm hoping they offer up some additional options this year.
Old 04-05-2023, 05:50 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 735 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by 69427
I used to run it quite often. Fun, and a good test & tune track when I need to run a few laps and then come back in to make some checks or adjustments. Last year they got rid of the Fast Fridays and only offered track rental type packages. Not terribly convenient for some of us. I'm hoping they offer up some additional options this year.
Did they ever fix the paddock area by putting new blacktop/concrete down, etc?

I had been told the track was owned by the principal of a local Ford dealership but don’t know if that was true or not.
Old 04-05-2023, 09:23 PM
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by thebishman
Did they ever fix the paddock area by putting new blacktop/concrete down, etc?

I had been told the track was owned by the principal of a local Ford dealership but don’t know if that was true or not.
Several of the non track surfaces were still a bit rough the last time I was there, but given the multiple flood episodes the past ten years I'm just thrilled that the actual track surface has somehow survived with minimal noticeable damage. I have to assume it's been an unpleasant financial experience dealing with the flood (and tornado IIRC) damage.

A quick look at the track website indicates that it's just driving schools or private track rentals offered again.
thebishman (04-06-2023)

Get notified of new replies

To PSSST - Hey Buddy, Wanna Buy a Race Track

Quick Reply: PSSST - Hey Buddy, Wanna Buy a Race Track