Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS6 replacement valvetrain components - What do you recommend I replace?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 09:02 PM
stevensa
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Default LS6 replacement valvetrain components - What do you recommend I replace?

Getting ready to tear into my LS6 this weekend, I believe I have a bad lifter, rocker arm, or maybe a pushrod? Either way I plan to freshen up the whole valvetrain. I am looking for some recommendations on what to buy. Everything is currently OEM except the valve springs and cam.

Lifters - New OEM LS7?
Lifter cups - Replace with new OEM, drilled to aid in oil return?
Head Gaskets - New OEM tri-metal, should I use copper spray?
Rockers - If the OEM ones are ok, should I replace them with new ones anyway? If so, OEM or some type of aftermarket?
Pushrods - New OEM, or some type of restricted oil flow pushrod?
Valve springs - Replacing with fresh aftermarket replacements
Retainers and locks - Do these need to be replaced? Any history of failure with these on LS motors?
Intake manifold/valve cover gaskets - New OEM

Anything else that I need to think about?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:30 PM
C5ZEE06
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Replacing /upgrading the timing chain ?
Chain tensioner maybe ?
Next time I'm in there, I'm installing an ATI damper.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:05 AM
kmagvette
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Springs for sure...nothing crazy, Comp Cams 918 or similar. LS6 springs are also fine. If you are digging deeper into the engine, then I agree with the ATI Superdamper (mentioned above) as well as the timing chain, especially if the car is tracked. I like the Katech chain, I am sure you will get suggestions for other quality chains.

I also did a Katech tensioner and printed oil pump...all Katech stuff has served me well.

If you are thinking of replacing your rocker arms, I have a full OEM set for sale that have fewer than 2K miles on them. They are in the parts section along with why they only have 2K miles.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:52 AM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Need to do this myself. Bump.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:19 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

see in line replies, also a new LS2 chain, damper, and ATI pulley are a good idea. Melling high flow oil pump is ok but not necessary.

Originally Posted by stevensa
Getting ready to tear into my LS6 this weekend, I believe I have a bad lifter, rocker arm, or maybe a pushrod? Either way I plan to freshen up the whole valvetrain. I am looking for some recommendations on what to buy. Everything is currently OEM except the valve springs and cam.

Lifters - New OEM LS7? - yes
Lifter cups - Replace with new OEM, drilled to aid in oil return? - yes
Head Gaskets - New OEM tri-metal, should I use copper spray? - don't think you need the spray w/OEM; you can go thinner (.040") with a Cometic, again, don't think you need to spray
Rockers - If the OEM ones are ok, should I replace them with new ones anyway? If so, OEM or some type of aftermarket? - have the trunion bearing upgrade performed
Pushrods - New OEM, or some type of restricted oil flow pushrod? - Smith Bros. restricted flow
Valve springs - Replacing with fresh aftermarket replacements - PAC 1218, shimmed to proper height
Retainers and locks - Do these need to be replaced? Any history of failure with these on LS motors? - should be fine; have new valve seals installed
Intake manifold/valve cover gaskets - New OEM - prob do not need to replace

Anything else that I need to think about?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by RX-Ben; 10-15-2013 at 01:21 AM.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:13 AM
stevensa
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for the replies guys, the oil pump, timing, etc are fairly fresh. If it turns out a roller lifter failed and damaged the cam I will definitely replace the chain and pump again while I am in there.

Thanks for the response Ben, do you use the smith bros pushrods? I keep reading conflicted reviews about whether they are a good or bad idea.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:55 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I have, and on second thought, I had a cam eaten up. Not sure what happened b/c the shop never alerted me to this (I realized it months after a cam swap when I was trying to sell the cam). No idea if a lifter went bad or if it was starved of oil. The damaged lobe was on the end of the cam, not sure if this is the end opposite the oil feed, in which case, I wouldn't totally recommend restricted flow. But I had some other issues (adapted C6 oil cooler takeoff block went bad, resulting in low oil pressure and high temps) which could have been the culprit as well. Somewhat incredibly, since nobody told of the cam issue, I ran this motor another year (with a different cam and lifters and pushrods) in like 20 TT track days and its eventual demise was due to a piston ring issue.

Last edited by RX-Ben; 10-15-2013 at 12:08 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To LS6 replacement valvetrain components - What do you recommend I replace?

Quick Reply: LS6 replacement valvetrain components - What do you recommend I replace?