Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SCCA class question

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 04:10 PM
808EB03Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default SCCA class question

I have spent most of the morning reading into class specs for SCCA auto crossing, and I can't really figure out which class a H/C/I Z06 would fall into. This will be my first time trying this out and I don't want to look like a true tard when I show up on race day. Thanks
Old 10-13-2013, 08:53 PM
UrbanKnight
Drifting

Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts

I think SSP, but I am sure others more knowledgeable will chime in... Usually suspension is what really changes your class (based on my crash course in this so far)
Old 10-13-2013, 11:03 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

Headers, Cam, Intake.

Headers, Intake ONLY=SSP

Headers, Cam, Intake=SSM

So your in SSM.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:33 AM
808EB03Z06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 93Rubie
Headers, Cam, Intake.

Headers, Intake ONLY=SSP

Headers, Cam, Intake=SSM

So your in SSM.
Will that change being that I have PRC heads too? thanks for the info.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:36 AM
AverageVetteNut
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In 9-10 Veteran
CI-X Auto-X Champ (race tires)
St. Jude Donor '07-'09

I think You're still in SSM at that point, but not 100% on that. I am assuming that PRC heads are a brand?

Beyond SSM, if those bump you from there, I'm thinking that you're getting close to XP or a mod class like E-mod. Again, not sure. I don't know that you can start swapping out
big ticket' items like that in SM as far as aftermarket parts goes.

The SCCA rulebook in solo follows a pretty basic edict of "If it doesn't specifically say you CAN do something, then you can't."
Old 10-14-2013, 01:02 PM
808EB03Z06
Burning Brakes

Awesome thanks for the input. I assume it isn't hard to change classes during tech that morning if they say something about it?
Old 10-14-2013, 01:25 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

If you start asking local region SCCA folks what class am I in, you usually get the right answer, but sometimes not, depends who you ask.

Tech does not have the responsibilty to class your car, they may give you opinions, depends on who is working tech.

You, yourself, are actually tasked with correctly classing your car.

Usually other people in the class you "think" you are in will be the best ones to ask about modifications because they have built their car to the rules over the years.

Then once you put yourself in a class, you are done unless someone protests your car based on the class rules.

If someone protests your car (usually only if you beat them) a protest committee of three people who have usually been around a while and have built cars beyond stock, will decide if your car is legal in the class you put it in.

This forum is a good place to ask classing questions. You can also email scca solo doug gill or brian harmer with questions.

Here is a link

http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/...s/Solo_FAQ.pdf

Old 10-14-2013, 05:08 PM
808EB03Z06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by froggy47
If you start asking local region SCCA folks what class am I in, you usually get the right answer, but sometimes not, depends who you ask.

Tech does not have the responsibilty to class your car, they may give you opinions, depends on who is working tech.

You, yourself, are actually tasked with correctly classing your car.

Usually other people in the class you "think" you are in will be the best ones to ask about modifications because they have built their car to the rules over the years.

Then once you put yourself in a class, you are done unless someone protests your car based on the class rules.

If someone protests your car (usually only if you beat them) a protest committee of three people who have usually been around a while and have built cars beyond stock, will decide if your car is legal in the class you put it in.

This forum is a good place to ask classing questions. You can also email scca solo doug gill or brian harmer with questions.

Here is a link

http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/...s/Solo_FAQ.pdf

Awesome, that helped break it down better in laymans terms lol. I wasn't expecting tech to class the car, but like you said, i was hoping for an opinion on where it should be classed at.

Thanks for al the help everyone. Now to wait for the new tires and get a helmet.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:39 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

A lot of the "upper" classes are based on the previous lesser prepared class plus XXX.

So you really end up going thru a few classes and adding preparation on each "faster" class to get to what you can do.

It does sound like ssm for you, based on what you specified so far.

Get notified of new replies

To SCCA class question

Quick Reply: SCCA class question