Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TWS tech inspection

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 04:16 PM
nassaubluecoupe
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default TWS tech inspection

It's time to get my car tech inspected once again, for The Drivers Edge. I'm in school in College Station, and there's not any good shops around, that I've found, that will do the tech. Most places have never done it and say it could take up to an hour and want $100, when it should only take 10-15min. TDE requires an ASE certified mechanic to do the tech, or an SCCA or NASA regional tech. I got Mark (drivinhard) to do it last year when he was at TWS for a NARRA event. Are any of y'all, that are qualified, and going to be at TWS before November 23, willing to do this?

Thanks,
Will
Old 10-09-2013, 05:21 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

You might consider driving over to CoTA in Austin for the SVRA National Championship races Oct 22 thru 27th. SVRA Tech sticker is good for a whole year. I'm not positive that they will tech your car, but you can Google up SVRA and call or e-mail Jon McKnight to ask.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:21 PM
21STCENTURYMUSCLECAR
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by nassaubluecoupe
It's time to get my car tech inspected once again, for The Drivers Edge. I'm in school in College Station, and there's not any good shops around, that I've found, that will do the tech. Most places have never done it and say it could take up to an hour and want $100, when it should only take 10-15min. TDE requires an ASE certified mechanic to do the tech, or an SCCA or NASA regional tech. I got Mark (drivinhard) to do it last year when he was at TWS for a NARRA event. Are any of y'all, that are qualified, and going to be at TWS before November 23, willing to do this?

Thanks,
Will
Road Trip to Dallas, I will do it for you for Free!

Best Regards,
John Page
Twenty First Century Muscle Cars
www.21stcenturymusclecars.com
Old 10-09-2013, 07:06 PM
nassaubluecoupe
Instructor

Originally Posted by 21STCENTURYMUSCLECAR
Road Trip to Dallas, I will do it for you for Free!

Best Regards,
John Page
Twenty First Century Muscle Cars
www.21stcenturymusclecars.com
That's tempting, but I'd like to see if I can find a place a little closer first, if I can't you may be seeing me. Also I'll be in Waco in a few weeks, so if y'all know of anyplace there, that would work too.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:34 PM
crease-guard
Drifting

I usually tech my own car for Driver Edge. I know what it says but if you've been with them long enough and have done this long enough, teching the car your self is pretty easy to do and they have never given me any grief about it.
Old 10-12-2013, 04:34 PM
nassaubluecoupe
Instructor

Originally Posted by crease-guard
I usually tech my own car for Driver Edge. I know what it says but if you've been with them long enough and have done this long enough, teching the car your self is pretty easy to do and they have never given me any grief about it.
I'm tempted to do this, but I don't want them to not except my tech sheet, when I turn it in. They probably wouldn't say anything, but you never know, better safe than sorry.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:33 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

That sheet is nothing more than a normal yearly inspection that any qualified mechanic should be able to do in about a half hour. In NY they get $21 for doing all that and checking the Emissions at the same time. If the guy doesn't know how to put the car on a lift, open the hood, take off the wheels and look around under the car to see if he can generate some more business replacing or fixing something that is wrong you should never bother with him again.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 10-13-2013 at 11:53 PM.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:51 PM
crease-guard
Drifting

I'm tempted to do this, but I don't want them to not except my tech sheet, when I turn it in. They probably wouldn't say anything, but you never know, better safe than sorry.
I can tell you I drive with them ALL the time and most of the time I fill out my tech sheet during driver check in right in front of Karen. Sign it, hand it to her and good to go.

If you have run with them before and are in any group but green, fill it out, sign it and hand it to her and you'll be fine. Teching the car is really easy and you don't need to be a mechanic to do it. Check your tires, pressures, brake pad thickness. Look for any fluids leaking just go right down the list on the tech sheet. Once you do it once or twice you'll realize how easy it is and you'll really get to know your car and when something is wrong you'll know it right away. Even then, I still have someone else go over the car once or twice a year to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Hell, I'd tech you car for you but I won't be at TWS that weekend because of work and going to the F1 race in Austin the prior weekend.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:14 PM
nassaubluecoupe
Instructor

Originally Posted by crease-guard
I can tell you I drive with them ALL the time and most of the time I fill out my tech sheet during driver check in right in front of Karen. Sign it, hand it to her and good to go.

If you have run with them before and are in any group but green, fill it out, sign it and hand it to her and you'll be fine. Teching the car is really easy and you don't need to be a mechanic to do it. Check your tires, pressures, brake pad thickness. Look for any fluids leaking just go right down the list on the tech sheet. Once you do it once or twice you'll realize how easy it is and you'll really get to know your car and when something is wrong you'll know it right away. Even then, I still have someone else go over the car once or twice a year to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Hell, I'd tech you car for you but I won't be at TWS that weekend because of work and going to the F1 race in Austin the prior weekend.

I may just end up doing it myself then. I've done two events with them and I'm in blue solo at new tracks and yellow at ones I've been too before.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:39 AM
crease-guard
Drifting

I may just end up doing it myself then. I've done two events with them and I'm in blue solo at new tracks and yellow at ones I've been too before.
If you are a solo driver, tech it yourself. They won't think twice about it.

Get notified of new replies

To TWS tech inspection

Quick Reply: TWS tech inspection