Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to start with Zip's bumpsteer kit on C5?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 07:17 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,153 Likes on 5,984 Posts

Default Where to start with Zip's bumpsteer kit on C5?

Anyone have pictures/recommendations for shim orientation front/rear to get me somewhat close to start? Car is dedicated race car on LG G2 coilovers so it's about 1" lower than stock.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:36 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

You can't really guess at it. My shims are completely different left vs right.
Honestly, you're better off not even installing the kit until you can setup a gauge and do it right. The good thing for you is that you don't have to pull the freaking leaf spring. Pulling the coilovers is much easier.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:36 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

I disagree, even if you set them to OEM height, you have a nice setup and it's cheaper to service than OEM tie-rod ends.

That being said, unless you want to pull the springs and do a full bump-steer analysis, set them up close to OEM.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:06 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
I disagree, even if you set them to OEM height, you have a nice setup and it's cheaper to service than OEM tie-rod ends.
Of course you can do that.

I read it that he was looking for advice on how to shim it for bump steer without doing the process.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:11 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer

That being said, unless you want to pull the springs and do a full bump-steer analysis, set them up close to OEM.

I went one small step further. I took a measure (angle in degrees) of the stock tie rods, then lowered the car (which changes the angle), then set the shims to get back to the original same angle.

Yes, it's a shortcut, but I think the principle makes sense.

Car is on rails thru bumps or no bumps.

Educate me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by froggy47; 10-08-2013 at 05:18 PM.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:26 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
Anyone have pictures/recommendations for shim orientation front/rear to get me somewhat close to start? Car is dedicated race car on LG G2 coilovers so it's about 1" lower than stock.
I wouldn't spend a lot of time on it until you get spherical bearings. check out my RA suspension video, watch how much the arms deflect, imagine the toe change just from that? Trying to adjust bump with that much deflection going on is like trying to align a car with a loose tie rod end.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:35 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,153 Likes on 5,984 Posts

I installed the fronts as close to the OEMs as I could. It took zero shims to mimic the OEM rod end.

My question is more if anyone has installed them and ended up with any of the shims on top of the rod end?

I plan on taking it to my buddy's shop and dialing the car in properly, but wanted to see if I could get it somewhat close to start with.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:52 PM
Paul Schmidt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm installing LG G2 coilovers as well, with spherical bearings. I know that the rear stock tie rods will hit the coil overs. I have been looking into the Zip bumpsteer kit. I see that you need to move the bump steer rearward about an inch. I have read that you need to put spacers on the swaybars to compensate moving the bump steer rearward. What's your take on that? The pictures illustrates what I'm saying. I'm sure that this needs to be addressed before a bumpsteer analysis is done. Am I correct?

[URL="

Thanks guys

Last edited by Paul Schmidt; 10-08-2013 at 11:07 PM.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:15 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

yes

Get notified of new replies

To Where to start with Zip's bumpsteer kit on C5?

Quick Reply: Where to start with Zip's bumpsteer kit on C5?