Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rotor Failure

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 12:08 PM
spdislife
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Rotor Failure

I've run the DBA T3 4000 rotors this year on my 04 Z for the track. For the most part I've been satisfied with the longevity until this happened a few weeks ago at Pocono. The pads I use are Carbotech XP12s up front. I'm curious if anyone else has ever encountered the hat seperating from the ring on a one piece rotor. Also, the other side that didn't fail is developing a crack between the hat and ring.

Old 10-06-2013, 12:31 PM
DarkMastyr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow! Never seen that before! DBA's got some explaining to do.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:52 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

Fairly common problem with one piece rotors usually was happening on T1 cars (C5)
Old 10-06-2013, 01:12 PM
RallyeChris
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From the looks of the slotting, these rotors should have been cycled-out a while ago. There is practically no slotting left on the outer slots. How many track days on these rotors?

Additionally, I see stress cracks at the inner-edge of the rotors indicating that this rotor was at the end of it's life. I typically see these on the outer-edge of the cheap Chinese rotors I use for the track. I replace them as soon as I see a similar crack approach the outer edge. It is only a matter of time until you hear the familiar "tink" of the rotor cracking after paddocking following a track session.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:42 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Originally Posted by HabberstadChris
From the looks of the slotting, these rotors should have been cycled-out a while ago. There is practically no slotting left on the outer slots. How many track days on these rotors?

Additionally, I see stress cracks at the inner-edge of the rotors indicating that this rotor was at the end of it's life.

This wasn't a failure of the manufacture.
This rotor was far beyond the point of replacement before it cracked.
Don't push it so far next time.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:58 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

How many miles/sessions on them? Did it happen in the pits or on track?

Old 10-06-2013, 02:33 PM
spdislife
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by froggy47
How many miles/sessions on them? Did it happen in the pits or on track?

It was the 6th track day on them and happened on track. I forgot to add I also have the Quantum/DRM cooling setup.

Additionally, I see stress cracks at the inner-edge of the rotors indicating that this rotor was at the end of it's life. I typically see these on the outer-edge of the cheap Chinese rotors I use for the track. I replace them as soon as I see a similar crack approach the outer edge. It is only a matter of time until you hear the familiar "tink" of the rotor cracking after paddocking following a track session.

Regarding the slots, that's pad material and or rotor wear filling them up and not wear on the ring. That's what I thought at first too until I scraped it ot with a screwdriver.

I also used the cheap Chinese rotors until this year. Typically they would "ping" late on the 2nd or early on the 3rd day. Just got tired of changing rotors at the track all the time
Old 10-06-2013, 03:19 PM
RallyeChris
Advanced

Originally Posted by spdislife
It was the 6th track day on them and happened on track. I forgot to add I also have the Quantum/DRM cooling setup.

Regarding the slots, that's pad material and or rotor wear filling them up and not wear on the ring. That's what I thought at first too until I scraped it ot with a screwdriver.

I also used the cheap Chinese rotors until this year. Typically they would "ping" late on the 2nd or early on the 3rd day. Just got tired of changing rotors at the track all the time
I find it hard to believe that there weren't any other signs that rotor failure was imminent. Typically it is spider cracking headed to the outer edge of the rotor. With this failure, I would expect similar signs toward the inner edge ( hub side). Either way, I can't imagine this happening "on track" without finding myself in a wall/barrier. Where/how exactly did this happen? Glad you and the vette are ok.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:21 PM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I was typically getting 5 track days out of my DBA4000's when I had the stock calipers, lines, cooling, and XP12 pads with SKF hubs. Then they would crack through.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:23 PM
spdislife
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by HabberstadChris
I find it hard to believe that there weren't any other signs that rotor failure was imminent. Typically it is spider cracking headed to the outer edge of the rotor. With this failure, I would expect similar signs toward the inner edge ( hub side). Either way, I can't imagine this happening "on track" without finding myself in a wall/barrier. Where/how exactly did this happen? Glad you and the vette are ok.
I had run 8 days on the previous set of DBAs. The spider cracks on those were worse than on this set and added them to my collection of used up and cracked rotors. That morning I changed the pads, saw no evidence of anything other than the usual cracks, and was confident the rotors would last the rest of the day. We ran the Pocono double infield, and when I started to brake on the front straight to turn into the north infield, the pedal sank, I nearly missed the turn in and then felt a heavy vibration under braking for the next turn. At that point I took it easy for the rest of the lap and turned into the pits. Coasting in I did hear a grinding noise and that was the rotor now rubbing on the caliper bracket.

I'll know to check in the future for any cracking between the hat and the ring.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:24 PM
spdislife
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JeremyGSU
I was typically getting 5 track days out of my DBA4000's when I had the stock calipers, lines, cooling, and XP12 pads with SKF hubs. Then they would crack through.
Was that to the outside diameter of the ring?
Old 10-06-2013, 06:51 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

That's a seriously worn out rotor. It probably should have been changed before you went to the track. Here's an article from a few years back. I've got a new brake rotor (brake disc) article coming out this month in Vintage Motorsport magazine.

One of the interesting facts about rotors is that because they're unsprung weight they need to be light. Then because they need to absorb a lot of heat they need to have a lot of steel. It's always a balancing act.

Richard Newton

Last edited by rfn026; 10-06-2013 at 06:52 PM. Reason: sp
Old 10-06-2013, 07:19 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

wow glad it wasnt worse
Old 10-06-2013, 10:07 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

I disagree with comments implying it was your fault for not replacing the rotor sooner.

You should contact DBA. If I remember correctly, they had a batch of rotors machined seriously wrong and had similar failures. A friend had same type of failure in T3 at Road America a few years ago. Rotor manufacturer paid out several thousand dollars to repair front end damage to his C6 Z06. They had a recall on all these rotors.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:12 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/autocrossing-and-roadracing/2940073-dba-4000-rotor-serial-no-for-the-recall.html

do search using "DBA rotor recall" and you will see pictures similar to yours
Old 10-06-2013, 10:15 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...or-blewup.html

Some pictures here
Old 10-06-2013, 10:26 PM
spdislife
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by UstaB-GS549
I disagree with comments implying it was your fault for not replacing the rotor sooner.

You should contact DBA. If I remember correctly, they had a batch of rotors machined seriously wrong and had similar failures. A friend had same type of failure in T3 at Road America a few years ago. Rotor manufacturer paid out several thousand dollars to repair front end damage to his C6 Z06. They had a recall on all these rotors.
Thanx and I appreciate the links! It's easy to conclude I should have replaced the rotor prior to the event...but I never posted a pic as to what it looked like prior to the event

Get notified of new replies

To Rotor Failure

Old 10-06-2013, 11:26 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

I would also call carbotech and see what they have to say about pad material clogging the groves. I thought it was not supposed to do that otherwise what is the point of the grooves?

Old 10-07-2013, 12:43 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by froggy47

I would also call carbotech and see what they have to say about pad material clogging the groves. I thought it was not supposed to do that otherwise what is the point of the grooves?

Some pad materials will clog grooves in my experience.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:45 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

I agree. Although they usually crack before wearing down that far sometimes rotors will last long enough for grooves to disappear. I can do that with my rear two piece rotors.

As far as cracking rotors goes. That is common. I have never seen this form of cracking though as displayed in the photos.

Quick Reply: Rotor Failure