Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First track day

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 04:02 PM
NYZ16
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First track day

Hi, New vette owner. Doing my first hpde this month and just about to do oil change. What is better oil to use for street and track? Car is stock.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:11 PM
franman69
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Mobil 1 according to the manual. Don't forget to add extra Quart if you are wet sump.... (not sure what dry sump cars call for).. Read your manual. It talks about tracking the car.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:21 PM
NYZ16
Intermediate

Thanks. I just thought some other brands be better for dual duty.

Last edited by NYZ16; 10-02-2013 at 11:26 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:30 PM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I like Mobil 1 0W-40 for a multi purpose oil. It is readily available now at walmart.

Jim
Old 10-02-2013, 11:30 PM
NYZ16
Intermediate

Originally Posted by franman69
Mobil 1 according to the manual. Don't forget to add extra Quart if you are wet sump.... (not sure what dry sump cars call for).. Read your manual. It talks about tracking the car.
I just thought some other brands may be better for dual duty.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:45 AM
s'noJob
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Nope. Mobil 1 is already formulated for Corvette's two speeds: fast, and Hang On.

Old 10-03-2013, 12:35 PM
jwg2
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by NYZ16
Hi, New vette owner. Doing my first hpde this month and just about to do oil change. What is better oil to use for street and track? Car is stock.
The standard Mobil1 will do the job. I have an LS6 oil burner so I always take extra too.

At the risk of being "that guy" who answers a question you didn't ask, I'd also recommend fresh brake fluid. Boiled brake fluid will end your day quickly.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:27 PM
s'noJob
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jwg2
... I'd also recommend fresh brake fluid. Boiled brake fluid will end your day quickly.
I just put fresh DOT-4 in my C5 for my upcoming track events this month.

Old 10-03-2013, 01:50 PM
NYZ16
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jwg2
The standard Mobil1 will do the job. I have an LS6 oil burner so I always take extra too.

At the risk of being "that guy" who answers a question you didn't ask, I'd also recommend fresh brake fluid. Boiled brake fluid will end your day quickly.
Thanks, so Mobil 1 5w30 is ok. I also want to do a few upgrades in the upcoming month, like shifter, brakes and oil cooler. Any advice here?
Old 10-03-2013, 02:09 PM
jwg2
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks, so Mobil 1 5w30 is ok. I also want to do a few upgrades in the upcoming month, like shifter, brakes and oil cooler. Any advice here?

I'd start with this thread...pretty much everything you need to know about track prep.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...e-learned.html

Go fast parts are enticing, my experience is that no matter how long I do track events or what I buy, that the meat in the seat will always be the principal limitation.

I'd focus on maintaining or upgrading wear and tear items like brake components and fluids. A seat upgrade will help. Sticky tires are track crack but can be a hinderance to mastering car control as you learn. A camera is a useful tool for improving skills and going faster.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:37 PM
Bad Karma
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you are serious about doing this as a hobby, get a good seat/harness. I went through over a year without it and I wish it had been the first mod I did after maintenance and basic brake upgrade. It felt like a different car once I was actually planted in the seat.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:00 PM
NYZ16
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bad Karma
If you are serious about doing this as a hobby, get a good seat/harness. I went through over a year without it and I wish it had been the first mod I did after maintenance and basic brake upgrade. It felt like a different car once I was actually planted in the seat.
Thanks.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:02 PM
SunnydayDILYSI
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I also use Mobile 1. If you get addicted to the track, you'll get faster each weekend out and will need track pads to keep them from melting away. I also needed cooling after a few weekends (Ron Davis radiator and oil cooler), but I'm in TX where it gets quite warm.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:35 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Is it NJMP-Thunderbolt on 10/21? I will be there.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:30 PM
NYZ16
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RDnomorecobra
Is it NJMP-Thunderbolt on 10/21? I will be there.
I think on 10/26-27 .I am doing sat,26.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:39 PM
NYZ16
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SunnydayDILYSI
I also use Mobile 1. If you get addicted to the track, you'll get faster each weekend out and will need track pads to keep them from melting away. I also needed cooling after a few weekends (Ron Davis radiator and oil cooler), but I'm in TX where it gets quite warm.
What do you think about DeWitts combo it's a little cheaper?
Old 10-04-2013, 06:21 PM
Bad Karma
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Oh and on the oil front, I switched to Red Line from Mobile One at my last change. There was a good thread here with a lot of oil tech in it. This is not a cheap oil change... but I'm all for getting good protection, considering what the car goes through.

Get notified of new replies

To First track day

Old 10-04-2013, 09:34 PM
SunnydayDILYSI
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I haven't run the DeWitts. There were a lot of good reviews on the Ron Davis when I was looking for a cooler. Reputable places like Doug Rippie also sell them and the guys at 21st Century Muscle Cars here in Dallas also suggested it and did the install for me. It has been very solid.

What do you think about DeWitts combo it's a little cheaper?
Old 10-04-2013, 10:01 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

First track day just make sure you have plenty of stock brake pad remaining. Make sure the coolant is set properly and all the hoses are in good shape. Check the power steering lines for any hint of leaks and make sure the fluid level is a shade below the fill cold line when the car is cold (too much fluid will cause the system to overflow when it gets hot). Flush your brake fluid with fresh DOT4 and check the brake hoses to see if they are in good shape. If you are driving an 04 Z16 it may be a good idea to change the brake hoses. New rubber hoses are fine while old ones aren't necessarily all that great.

Check (put a wrench on them) all the nuts and bolts under the car. Check the ones holding the cradle to the frame as well. Make sure your tires are in good shape and have at least 3/32 of tread. Don't use new tires as they will be too loose due to tread squirm and will tend to get greasy as they heat up. You could also get some tread chunking on the edges that you won't get with a good set of used tires.

I have been running with Mobil 1 5W30 since 1997 with no oiling issues.

Don't even think about mods until you finish your first 10 track days. Forget the shifter as on most road courses your shifting will be mainly from 3rd to 4th and in the case of being a novice your instructor may have you stay in 4th the whole time as it is too difficult to learn how to heel/toe and learn all the track stuff as well.

Bill
Old 10-09-2013, 06:56 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Mobil 1 will be fine. Add an extra 1/2 quart unless there are long carousel sweepers. In which case, add a whole extra quart.

Quick Reply: First track day