Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kind of surprised when I found this in my breather can

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 11:12 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Kind of surprised when I found this in my breather can

[IMG][/IMG]

I really thought there would be oil in there. Before the breather can, it was blowing oil out the mini breathers I had on the valve covers. Now I have all 3 valve cover ports t'd together and run to larger breather can. So far no oil on motor but no track days yet either.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:19 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

You found vodka in the can?

Your engine is a still.

I suppose that's water & is possible with quite a few cold starts and not getting the engine hot each time.

Possible?

Also, if you think about it, the can really never gets that hot, depending on location.

Still, hmm, dunno.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:18 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

your belt and suspenders approach should go a long way in keeping things clean.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:30 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the breather cans. If water is all I am getting, I may just plumb a line from the bottom out of the cans so I never have to drain them. But I will wait until after a track day and see what comes through under full temps and full load.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:28 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Just finished a track day at VIR. After punishing motor all day, it appears the "belt and suspenders approach" worked. There was plenty of oil in the can but none on my motor. Well, actually, my daughter, who is my pit crew, emptied the can but didn't close the valve all the way, so it dumped the oil/sludge all over the bottom of the car for the last session. I was a little disappointed when I loaded car and saw the oil dripping. But after getting home and seeing what had happened, I was quite relieved. I am still running a catch can between valley cover and intake manifold. I am going to tee that into my breather cans and close off the intake port. Zero chance of oil getting back into intake. Hopefully, this will close this chapter as I move onto the low oil pressure issue. Thanks for the cans and the assistance.

Get notified of new replies

To Kind of surprised when I found this in my breather can

Quick Reply: Kind of surprised when I found this in my breather can