Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TMPS on track rims?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 05:05 PM
Rocket-J
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default TMPS on track rims?

I am sure this has been covered, but I did not locate it.
This is for a 2012 Grand Sport.
How many use a TPMS on their track rims.
One told me I had to because the car won't let you up to speed with a flat tire warning. My Dealership said I don't need TPMS on the track tires, all I will get is a warning on the DIC. Some dealers give questionable info. So...
I would like to hear the answer from a track man with experience.
I put after market sensors in my track wheels but If I don't have to pay to get the system re calibrated every time I switch rims, I would be happy. My first time with track wheels will be in 3 weeks.
Thank you.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:11 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

get a tool and learn how to use it (reset yourself)
tire rack has a good one. a rubber hammer helps to wake up the sensors
Old 10-01-2013, 06:35 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

with Ernie!!

It only takes about a minute to program a new set of sensors into the TPMS computer in your car after swapping on a new set of wheels/tires/sensors.

You can get a low level tool for about $60.

Take a look at the video below to see how simple it is.

I have a used tool like in that video, or a higher end tool with more capability if you want a TPMS tool that will do some good diagnostic checks of sensors.

Bob

Old 10-01-2013, 06:48 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

There is a ton of info out there just search TPMS. The best is generally from Bob.

I run TPMS on my track wheels and reprogram them at the track, takes about 45 seconds using a tool I bought from Bob.

However it does give a low pressure warning @ 25psi which is both good and bad, as I go out for the 1st session about 24psi on slicks. End up doing part of my warmup lap then change active handling settings on the fly.

When your car doesn't detect a sensor it goes into safe mode which activates the brakes and reduces throttle at all the wrong times.

You can also put some sensors in a pressurized container which always seemed questionable to me.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:25 PM
Rocket-J
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=blkbrd69;1585062459]There is a ton of info out there just search TPMS. The best is generally from Bob.

I run TPMS on my track wheels and reprogram them at the track, takes about 45 seconds using a tool I bought from Bob.

However it does give a low pressure warning @ 25psi which is both good and bad, as I go out for the 1st session about 24psi on slicks. End up doing part of my warmup lap then change active handling settings on the fly.

"When your car doesn't detect a sensor it goes into safe mode which activates the brakes and reduces throttle at all the wrong times."

This is the answer I was looking for. It appears, YES, the car reacts to a low pressure warning and is not track able with out the sensors. My dealer needs to read the book.
Thank you.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:51 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

The 2010-2013 C6's use a different tire pressure sensor than the earlier C6 model years do.

All the 2010-2013 C6's have the same TPMS computer in the car, but they have different tire pressure sensors depending on when they were built. They can all use either sensor.

The 2010 and a 2011 C6 built in December 2010 or earlier use a green peanut shaped sensor:

Starting in January 2011 the factory began installing a black sensor:

Any 2010-2013 can use either sensor.

HOWEVER - the green one DOES NOT require a TPMS tool to trigger it!!

The green sensor can be triggered by changing air pressure in the tire.

The black sensor requires the signal transmitted by a TPMS tool.

I have some used green ones available if anybody needs some.

Bob
Old 10-02-2013, 01:26 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket-J
I am sure this has been covered, but I did not locate it.
This is for a 2012 Grand Sport.
How many use a TPMS on their track rims.
One told me I had to because the car won't let you up to speed with a flat tire warning. My Dealership said I don't need TPMS on the track tires, all I will get is a warning on the DIC. Some dealers give questionable info. So...
I would like to hear the answer from a track man with experience.
I put after market sensors in my track wheels but If I don't have to pay to get the system re calibrated every time I switch rims, I would be happy. My first time with track wheels will be in 3 weeks.
Thank you.
If you don't have TPMS in your track wheels make sure you park the car next to your street wheels when it is in the paddock or garage. You could get a half hour of running without the sensors. I do with my 08 although I hear newer cars get less time. Once you run out of time the car will prevent you from running faster than 55 mph in a turn.

The big problem is when you have a sensor fail while you are on the track. There you are happily exiting a turn at 100+ mph and a sensor either says you have no air pressure or it doesn't broadcast at all and the EBCM will immediately apply the front brakes to bring the car's speed down to 55mph which is the max safe operating speed of the EMTs. The car will slow abruptly which can cause some severe understeer, give the guy behind you some evasive maneuver practice and generally give you and the other guy quite a thrill. Funny thing it only applies the brakes in a turn and you can pretty much go as fast as you want on a straight.

I have decided it is best to forget the sensors in the track tires and just pull the connector to the steering sensor. That shuts down active handling which is the ABS function used to apply the brakes. You will have TPMS and AH Service Messages but you can turn them off before going on track and not be bothered by anything. Just be careful unplugging/plugging the connector it isn't designed to be cycled very many times and you don't want to wear the contacts out or damage it in some other way.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To TMPS on track rims?

Quick Reply: TMPS on track rims?