Wheels & Tires Corvette Wheel & Tire Sizing Info, Staggered Fitment, Tread Compound, Tire Pressure, size option
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel Recommendations

Old 08-22-2013, 09:48 PM
XFit
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wheel Recommendations

Originally posted in the C5 area but realized this might be better here.

I have a few wheel related questions for the C5 and my intended use. Right now I have 19 and 20 inch Cray Manta's on my car. They look great but seem prone to bending/getting out of spec. I have replaced the front left and now the front right is bad. I am debating whether or not to replace the wheel or just get a new set of different wheels entirely.

My Priorities Are
1. Reliability/Strength - Car is an Every Day Driver and the roads where I live can be in bad shape.
2. Styling - I want something that looks nice.
3. Cost - I'm looking for a good value. I don't want or need something at a rock bottom price.
4. The car will never see a track or autocross event. I want performance but this is a touring car, not a race car.

Questions
1. Stick with the Crays or switch them?
2. Are 19/20 inch wheels inherently going to be more prone to bending and having issues? Am I better off going to OEM sizes?
3. Who makes the best wheels that meet my criteria in your opinion?

Appreciate the help guys.
Old 08-24-2013, 12:42 AM
wamara
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Not going to try and address all of your questions, but once you understand that big wheels coupled with extremely low profile tires (such as you have running 19/20s) weigh more (performance negative), and, as your experiencing, are more likely to result in bent rims, tire blowouts, etc. on poor pavement, then you can start looking for wheels more appropriate for your situation. Good luck.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:33 AM
XFit
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks wamara. I agree with you. I purchased the car with the wheels and really didn't think through the potential pitfalls at the time. I'm trying to decide my best path forward and at this point I know its not over sized wheels. I have been directed to CCW and they look like a good option.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:14 PM
Valdostavetteguy
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always ran 3-piece forged rims--plenty expensive but way stronger.

I also stick with no larger than 18/19 set-up and 35 series tires minimum on the fronts and 30 series minimum on the rears and have never had an issue
Old 09-12-2013, 03:44 PM
FruiTay
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Valdostavetteguy
I've always ran 3-piece forged rims--plenty expensive but way stronger.

I also stick with no larger than 18/19 set-up and 35 series tires minimum on the fronts and 30 series minimum on the rears and have never had an issue
Do you road race, Valdo?

Get notified of new replies

To Wheel Recommendations

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wheel Recommendations