Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will active handling on track kill me?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 09:51 AM
jranaudo
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Will active handling on track kill me?

So I am just browsing some threads yesterday on CF and I come across the post below. Apparently the YAW sensor goes bad and in this case the front left wheel locked up briefly but enough to send this guy into the other lane. Luckily for him nothing happened.

I am just prepped my (new to me Z06) and ready for my first track event so naturally I am a bit nervous. What do I do? I could turn off active handling true but I am still concerned in everyday driving.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...eck-today.html
Old 08-08-2013, 11:06 AM
hklvette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

C5 or C6?
Old 08-08-2013, 11:08 AM
jranaudo
Racer

Originally Posted by hklvette
C5 or C6?
Sorry. C5 Z06.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:34 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

probably not...............that said it happened to me to
hit the wall at Pocono.
After that I always run with it off

Not recommended for beginners to shut it off though

just allow more room till you have the skill to run with out it
Old 08-08-2013, 11:38 AM
383LPE
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

run it in competition mode.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:41 AM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Received 210 Likes on 91 Posts

Turning off the active handling on a C5 does not totally disable it. It can still malfunction and apply a brake without warning. To totally disable it, unplug the steering position sensor located under the steering column. Pull the plastic cover down and the sensor plug is right there. Takes less than a minute.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:56 AM
jranaudo
Racer

Damn thats really messed up! It's a pretty ****** design if you ask me. One minute its your best friend the next its sending you into the wall. Typical american I suppose.

So is that all I have to do to disable it? Pull that plug or is there more like fuses?
Old 08-08-2013, 12:45 PM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Received 210 Likes on 91 Posts

Just pull the plug and the ah will be completely disabled. ABS will still work.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:52 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by jranaudo
So I am just browsing some threads yesterday on CF and I come across the post below. Apparently the YAW sensor goes bad and in this case the front left wheel locked up briefly but enough to send this guy into the other lane. Luckily for him nothing happened.

I am just prepped my (new to me Z06) and ready for my first track event so naturally I am a bit nervous. What do I do? I could turn off active handling true but I am still concerned in everyday driving.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...eck-today.html
I would suggest comp mode for a beginner, but check your rear brake pads every session. Depending on your driving style/speed it may apply them a lot & wear them down.

Old 08-08-2013, 12:57 PM
MYRX
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most beginners that I have instructed have run with the AH on. For myself, I had it on while running in HPDE1, then I ran with competition mode in HPDE2. Its about your confidence and skill level. That being said, I never had AH cause me any loss of control in my C5 Z06.

When you are confident enough to really push the car, more than likely you will have AH shut off and/or disabled. I have no experiences with AH malfunctioning, (thank goodness because Road Atlanta has limited run off room)
Old 08-08-2013, 02:04 PM
taken19
Track Junky

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Tech Contributor

I would say run with it on until you can feel the car slide before the AH corrects for you. That at least tells you that you recognize when the car is beginning to lose traction. You will probably not be quick enough to correct before the car does (because it's a bit too intrusive, especially with slicks), but if you are trying to correct as the car does you can consider turning it off. I ran like that for several days until I felt the AH was holding me back, then turned everything off and slowed down a bit. The car is much easier to drive and much more predictable with the nannies off now IMO.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:44 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

OP the issue in the thread you cited was due to the Steering Wheel Position Sensor going bad. Not the yaw rate sensor. It happened on my car also.

I just started to track my car last year. This year I am driving in COMP MODE. Still, in any turn that I do the slightest trail braking in, ACTIVE HANDLING engages. . Next time, it will get turned off too.

The service manual actually basically states that: turning+braking=AH engaged.

HTH
Old 08-08-2013, 09:09 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Never had an issue with AH in either my C5Z or C6Z. First car I had with it was the C5Z so I practiced using it. Used it in autocrosses and track events. I had been driving in HPDEs for 11 years when I got the Z. First year I had it it saved my butt at the Glen when I hit something slippery on the track and lost traction exiting a turn. System reacted quickly and all you see in my video is a slight wiggle of the car. I see the system as a tool. It does things that you as a driver cannot do. You are not able to apply a single brake at one time. When you understand how it is designed to work and practice using it you can get the car to do some interesting things.

For novices I tell them to leave it on and be alert for when it activates. I tell them that in the vast majority of cases if it activates the driver did something wrong. When they are good enough drivers run 5 or 6 laps without it activating they are ready to run without it.

Bill
Old 08-09-2013, 12:06 AM
jranaudo
Racer

All valid points. I am all for AH when learning. My concern is when a sensor malfunctions it can send you into a wall instead of just deactivating the system. Huge flaw if you ask me. Could be your best friend one moment and worst nightmare the next although its probably unlikely.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:24 PM
mesospeedy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't advise anybody to run with or without it as that decision should be made by the driver. That said, I'm debating on whether to use it or not. I haven't had the time to get back to the track since I got the GS, but prior to owning it I tracked a 500hp 98 Camro, which has neither traction control nor AH. On one hand AH is like a crutch for a bad driver, but on the other hand, in an unexpected situation like mentioned above, it may save you from smashing the car! Unless of course a malfunction causes it to be the reason you smash the car!

Last edited by mesospeedy; 08-09-2013 at 04:26 PM.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:24 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Nope

If your smooth as you should be it will not come on.

If your jerking the car all over the place, yes it will come on, but you will complain about it

Be smooth be consistent and you will be fine
Old 08-10-2013, 12:48 AM
the blur
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 87 Posts

One would think, it would fail safe. Not jerk around the car.

Get notified of new replies

To Will active handling on track kill me?

Quick Reply: Will active handling on track kill me?