Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

103db limit with sidepipes

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 02:47 PM
folsomlarry
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Default 103db limit with sidepipes

Finally getting ready to take the 1965 Corvette race car out for a track day. The car was raced by Gallant Racing up until 6 years ago and then sold to a guy who never ran the car. We are going to Thunder Hill and a Hooked on Driving event to test the car out. I was informed last night that there is a 103db limit at the track. I have done some research and it appears that this limit was put in around 2001, and the Gallants ran this car in several events per year until they sold it, so I am assuming it passes the 103 limit. It is a 327 with Stahl headers, and it appears that the side pipes have the spiral baffles in them. I was wondering if anyone else has a setup like this and if it does not pass are there any quick fixes we can do at the track. I know with our old Spitfire we would just put on an exhaust tip that turned away from the sound meters at the various tracks, but his does not seem to be an option with this car. Sorry for the long question, but I am worried that we will make the trip to the track and then get booted out.

Larry
Old 08-05-2013, 03:55 PM
folsomlarry
Melting Slicks

Just got word from the original owner that the car was well under the 103db limit.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:59 PM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

I'd think it's also under 103 (which is the limit at both T-Hill and Sonoma).

Besides the only things that can hear you are t-Hill are a bunch of cows.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:43 PM
folsomlarry
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bill32
I'd think it's also under 103 (which is the limit at both T-Hill and Sonoma).

Besides the only things that can hear you are t-Hill are a bunch of cows.
I remember when they first put the limit on at Laguna, and there were not that many houses out towards the track. Then it was Sears Point, which does not exactly sit near any housing developements. Thunder Hill is totally out by itself, so it has to be the cows complaining: thumbs:
Old 08-06-2013, 09:30 AM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by folsomlarry
I remember when they first put the limit on at Laguna, and there were not that many houses out towards the track. Then it was Sears Point, which does not exactly sit near any housing developements. Thunder Hill is totally out by itself, so it has to be the cows complaining: thumbs:
There's way too much money in Monterey.

Everyone went nuts at Laguna putting 90 degree tips on the exhaust pointed away from the sound station.

THEN, Sears decided to put their own sound station on the opposite side of the track from the SCCA sound station.......

We run open headers in Reno.............

Get notified of new replies

To 103db limit with sidepipes

Quick Reply: 103db limit with sidepipes