Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Racing

Old 07-31-2013, 10:29 PM
C6C3Vettes
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Road Racing

I have a stock 2013 GS that I've tracked several times. Last Saturday ran 4 times w/ 20 mins per run. Ambient temp was 78 degrees. I ran Hoosiers at 30 lbs when tires were cold. At the end of the day there was excessive wear on the driver's side front tire on the outside of the tire. This was a 2.2 mile flat road course. I new at this, but the lessons can be very $$$$. Is this camber, air pressure, both, neither???
Old 07-31-2013, 10:54 PM
sleeperstyle
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what are your alignment settings? sounds like you need more negative camber, i read hoosiers need a lot of neg camber.

reading the stickies at the top of this section has saved me thousands of dollars, i recommend you do the same!
Old 07-31-2013, 11:03 PM
db2xpert
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by C6C3Vettes
I have a stock 2013 GS that I've tracked several times. Last Saturday ran 4 times w/ 20 mins per run. Ambient temp was 78 degrees. I ran Hoosiers at 30 lbs when tires were cold. At the end of the day there was excessive wear on the driver's side front tire on the outside of the tire. This was a 2.2 mile flat road course. I new at this, but the lessons can be very $$$$. Is this camber, air pressure, both, neither???
Outside edge only is generally too little neg camber.
Were you running CCW?
Have your alignment set, Pfadt specs are generally good.
What were your hot pressures?
30# may be a tick high. I run 28# frt, and 24# rear,
hot pressures are +6#.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:03 PM
ZedO6
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by sleeperstyle
what are your alignment settings? sounds like you need more negative camber, i read hoosiers need a lot of neg camber.

The Hoosier site gives lots of info on proper setup for max tire life. Hoosier needs at least 2.5 neg camber to be effective. Do a track alignment next time and you'll get twice as much grip and much better tire wear!
Old 08-01-2013, 12:26 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

90% of the excess wear is not enough neg. camber.

Expensive pasttime to run h's with stock align settings.

Look to Pfadt align chart & be guided.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:51 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by froggy47
And with stock bushings.
Anyone's guess where your dynamic camber is with the OEM floppies, but obviously not good from the tire wear.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:20 AM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,463 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by ZedO6

The Hoosier site gives lots of info on proper setup for max tire life. Hoosier needs at least 2.5 neg camber to be effective. Do a track alignment next time and you'll get twice as much grip and much better tire wear!
Originally Posted by froggy47
90% of the excess wear is not enough neg. camber.

Look to Pfadt align chart & be guided.

You guys all recommend Pfadt's settings, but their site (Performance street - track use with race tires) does not recommend camber values as aggressive as that. Actually, it recommends about 1.6-1.8 and R6s are not even race tires. Would, say, -1.8 be enough?

FYI, I'm running Cup ZP tires (ZR1 sizes) with Pfadt's settings I mentioned above at -1.8 camber, and even though they were at the outer edge a bit faster, they seem to be wearing OK.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:23 AM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by X25

FYI, I'm running Cup ZP tires (ZR1 sizes) with Pfadt's settings I mentioned above at -1.8 camber, and even though they were at the outer edge a bit faster, they seem to be wearing OK.
Well, I believe that chart is meant more for "street" driving than track so they back the numbers down so one doesn't wear their tires out as much. If your car is more of a track car than street car then I would max out the camber as much as you can with the oe suspension.

I have mine maxed out on my C5 Z but don't care about street tire wear because I don't drive it that much. I am however still on the oe bushings and don't want to go stiffer even though I run slicks because it is still a street car and I don't want it to ride terrible.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:37 AM
J.R.
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Hoosier R6's or A6's require more camber, even though they are rated as DOT tires - they are race tires.

Also, as per RX-Ben, you are getting extreme distortion with stock bushings and with the R6's grip level you may even be seeing zero or positive camber during certain track sections that you may be approaching 1.5g's plus.

You may be able to research a you tube video that Pfadt put out a couple of years ago that showed the distortion the stock front control arm bushings saw under track loading.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:20 PM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Received 210 Likes on 91 Posts

I wouldn't run Hoosiers without at least doing poly bushings to limit the camber loss from the oem rubber bushings. I would also have at least -2.5 degrees of camber as Zed06 stated.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:19 PM
ZedO6
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawdogg
I wouldn't run Hoosiers without at least doing poly bushings to limit the camber loss from the oem rubber bushings. I would also have at least -2.5 degrees of camber as Zed06 stated.
Actually very good advice...for casual track days on an almost stock Corvette, there are longer wearing options that are designed for street/track camber settings and the limitations (read dynamic + camber change) inherent in OEM bushings.

Nitto 555RII, Toyo 888's and various Kumho's and the Michelin Pilot Cup Sport are some other DOT competition tires that will work better with less camber.

With that said, ALL the other options will need at least -1.5 camber to equalize outer tread block wear IMHO.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:48 AM
TMyers
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run R888's with Poly Bushings and even with 1.5 you will wear the outside faster then the inside.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:18 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Start taking tire temps. Once you have a data base you can work with Hoosier on your alignment settings.

Richard Newton
Car Tech Stuff

Get notified of new replies

To Road Racing

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Road Racing