Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I damaged my engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 01:55 AM
mark b
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default I damaged my engine

I was running hard on Watkins glen in open track and silly me didnt have that extra quart of oil in the engine to protect it from the steep turns, elevation changes etc.. I think the engine was starved for oil in some turns because I started to lose power. I pitted and checked the car and now it vibrates alot, knocks and makes sleigh noises. it burns oil, and idles like I have a cam in it when it is stock..

I was able to drive it home but the engine is straining and going brrrrr
everytime I hit the go pedal. 2nd feels like 3rd, 3rd gear feels like 4th and 5th gear feels like six in terms of acceleration. I am going to send it to vette doctors and see whats wrong.. could anyone here give me an idea of whats wrong? Is the engine salvagable? or is it cheaper to just replace it? It was a remanufactured LS1 under warranty, but Im afraid that it might not be covered.

also Im having tranny problems, mainly shifter problems some times when Im heel toeing down from 4th to 3rd the shifter doesnt go into 3rd... it is extremely frustrating when you are doing 140 and you are braking and down shifting and you never know if the gear shift is going to cooperate with you or not.. Im thinking of changing my stock C5 shifter because Im sick of fighting with it. could it be an overheating issue? are the C6 Z06 shifters better? thx
Old 07-26-2013, 07:50 AM
Hi Volts Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Not sure about your engine noise (but it doesn't sound good). As far as your shifting goes- I'm willing to bet you put in a new clutch recently. If so- try bleeding it. If that doesn't work- you may have to go to the Tick master cylinder which is adjustable. I thought everything you were speaking about (in terms of shifting) was the result of overheating (put in a cooler), shifter (installed the MGW) and still had the problem. I finally did my homework and realized what I needed to do.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:49 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by mark b
I was running hard on Watkins glen in open track and silly me didnt have that extra quart of oil in the engine to protect it from the steep turns, elevation changes etc.. I think the engine was starved for oil in some turns because I started to lose power. I pitted and checked the car and now it vibrates alot, knocks and makes sleigh noises. it burns oil, and idles like I have a cam in it when it is stock..

everytime I hit the go pedal. 2nd feels like 3rd, 3rd gear feels like 4th and 5th gear feels like six in terms of acceleration. I am going to send it to vette doctors and see whats wrong.. could anyone here give me an idea of whats wrong? Is the engine salvagable? or is it cheaper to just replace it? It was a remanufactured LS1 under warranty, but Im afraid that it might not be covered.

also Im having tranny problems, mainly shifter problems some times when Im heel toeing down from 4th to 3rd the shifter doesnt go into 3rd... it is extremely frustrating when you are doing 140 and you are braking and down shifting and you never know if the gear shift is going to cooperate with you or not.. Im thinking of changing my stock C5 shifter because Im sick of fighting with it. could it be an overheating issue? are the C6 Z06 shifters better? thx
Have to ask, what are sleigh noises?

Old 07-26-2013, 02:06 PM
cruzin2
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hard to say what is the engine issue unless you start looking inside. Oil starvation often shows up first in the crank bearings.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:10 PM
cruzin2
Pro

Originally Posted by cruzin2
Hard to say what is the engine issue unless you start looking inside. Oil starvation often shows up first in the crank bearings.
In addition burning oil can come from two places: oil blowby and valve seals. Typically you can diagnos blowby if the oil burning or black smoke comes out the exhaust under power / throttle. Vavle seal cracks can often be seen during startup and engine decel while driving.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:54 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

what year is your car? stock tires or race?

Shifting could be bent forks or clutch so changing shifter will not work. I do recommend going with a MGW shifter. I am sure you will like it.

http://www.mgwltd.com/corvette_short..._shifter.shtml
Old 07-26-2013, 03:40 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

It could be a lot of things that are causing your engine issue. Not putting in the extra quart caused some increased risk but the Glen doesn't have any of the typical turns that cause oil starvation so I wouldn't fixate on that until you do more investigation.

Changing shifters isn't going to improve the shift from 4th to 3rd. There is some other issue. Remember all of the shifters available whether GM or aftermarket are pretty much the same. A long rod that is inserted in a circular hole with the bottom end of the rod going into the shift rod on the transmission. Very hard to blame the shifter when all it does is move the shift rod back and forth.

Bill
Old 07-26-2013, 10:02 PM
2002rich
Burning Brakes

Might be a broken valve spring.
Old 07-27-2013, 01:15 PM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You run the codes? Do that before you tear anything apart. Could be something simple like a bad coil. Next I'd pull the manifold and look at the valvetrain. Easy to do and you'd be able to see if you broke a spring. Also get your oil analyzed to see what's floating around in it.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:57 PM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

You spun a bearing. Your motor is basically trashed. It will run for a while, but eventually you'll throw a rod or seized rod on the crank. I bet the motor is loaded with metal particles.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:22 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by larryfs
You spun a bearing. Your motor is basically trashed. It will run for a while, but eventually you'll throw a rod or seized rod on the crank. I bet the motor is loaded with metal particles.
Certainly possible/likely. I hope the OP will post back.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:11 AM
mark b
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by froggy47
Certainly possible/likely. I hope the OP will post back.

Thx for all the replies
I will chk clutch and vette drs will let me know whats up
Its under warranty so if the engine is toast ill get another engine
Shifting might b an over heating issue because it seems to happen after a half hr on trk
I chked my video
With all my cursing! Lol
Old 07-29-2013, 09:13 AM
Hi Volts Z06
Burning Brakes

If the clutch is a metallic disc as opposed to organic- they tend to expand with heat so the problem gets worse as the car gets hotter. What clutch are you running in that car?
Old 07-29-2013, 11:32 AM
EyeMaster
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by froggy47
Have to ask, what are sleigh noises?

Bells and horses
Old 07-29-2013, 11:35 AM
EyeMaster
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thx for all the replies
I will chk clutch and vette drs will let me know whats up
Its under warranty so if the engine is toast ill get another engine
Shifting might b an over heating issue because it seems to happen after a half hr on trk
I chked my video
With all my cursing! Lol
Shifting might be your clutch fluid. Heat will affect it. Bleed it well. If problem persists, change tranny oil.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:46 AM
mark b
Burning Brakes

I recently changed my clutch fluid.. tranny is due for a flush, I will do that as well..

and the main reason I want to change my shifter is for a shorter throw..
But I dont like really tightly spaced shifters because I drove a corvette with one and almost shifted from 5th to 2nd when I ment to shift into 4th..
Maybe I would get used to it but it poses a big risk since I drive it on the street too occasionally, and drive it to and from the track.
I like the stock shifter, when its cooperating.. But it does have a longer throw than the C6 Z06 shifter.. we will see, I just want the car back in business so I can go back to the track!!
Old 07-29-2013, 11:48 AM
mark b
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hi Volts Z06
If the clutch is a metallic disc as opposed to organic- they tend to expand with heat so the problem gets worse as the car gets hotter. What clutch are you running in that car?
stock clutch, stock shifter, stock tranny

Get notified of new replies

To I damaged my engine

Old 07-29-2013, 11:49 AM
Hi Volts Z06
Burning Brakes

Bleed the clutch again....then do it again. With a power bleeder if possible. Sounds like you have air.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:27 PM
mark b
Burning Brakes

Well the engine was checked, #5 cylinder is low in compression,so that ones toast... but the rest of the cylinders are good.. I dont know if this engine will be fixed or it will be replaced.. we will see.. i have those two options.. Im hoping it is replaced..
Old 07-30-2013, 10:13 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Well the engine was checked, #5 cylinder is low in compression,so that ones toast... but the rest of the cylinders are good.. I dont know if this engine will be fixed or it will be replaced.. we will see.. i have those two options.. Im hoping it is replaced..
Get a borescope & look in.

Quick Reply: I damaged my engine