Wheels & Tires Corvette Wheel & Tire Sizing Info, Staggered Fitment, Tread Compound, Tire Pressure, size option
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painting / Powder Coating Stock C5Z Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 03:07 AM
vpshockwave
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Painting / Powder Coating Stock C5Z Wheels

Hey Guys,

I'm trying to figure out the best way to get my wheels powder coated and/or painted. I have stock C5Z wheels. What I want to do is have somewhere maybe do some Bond-O/sanding work to repair some curb rash, then I want them either powder coated or painted matte black. I'm also looking to get the lip painted yellow as a nice accent.

Any advice? Powder coat vs. paint? Getting the curb rash repaired? Getting the lip painted? I live in East Texas and its extremely hard to find somewhere to get this work done. I may have to go to Dallas. Any advice would be great.

Thanks
Old 08-06-2013, 07:40 AM
AverageVetteNut
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In 9-10 Veteran
CI-X Auto-X Champ (race tires)
St. Jude Donor '07-'09

I've had my OEM Z06 wheels powdercoated a satin black for almost 4 years now and they have held up great. I take the wheels on and off ALLOT during the racing season and they are only now starting to show any scuffs and such.

I can't comment on wheel repair though.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:08 PM
zrracer
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 137 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '11, '14

A quick search will find U local rim repair.
Powder coat is the way 2 go.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:19 PM
C4vettrn
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Are they the Magnesium wheels? If so I would paint them. I had a set powder coated and the magnesium offgases bad and leaves small bubbles. Didn't last long until I had them painted. Nothing will last like the OEM finish though. As far as curb rash goes it's prety easy to clean it up with a die grinder with scotchbrite pads / fine sandpaper before they go to the finisher.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:43 PM
AverageVetteNut
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In 9-10 Veteran
CI-X Auto-X Champ (race tires)
St. Jude Donor '07-'09

Originally Posted by C4vettrn
Are they the Magnesium wheels? If so I would paint them. I had a set powder coated and the magnesium offgases bad and leaves small bubbles. Didn't last long until I had them painted. Nothing will last like the OEM finish though. As far as curb rash goes it's prety easy to clean it up with a die grinder with scotchbrite pads / fine sandpaper before they go to the finisher.
the off-gas issue shouldn't be an issue as the OP stated that they are OEM Z06 wheels, and those are AL.

Granted, the OEM finish is really tough compared to painting, but after that, or if you just wanted something different, PC is the way to go.

Get notified of new replies

To Painting / Powder Coating Stock C5Z Wheels

Quick Reply: Painting / Powder Coating Stock C5Z Wheels