Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 08:30 PM
TripleAstyle123
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tire Pressure

Hey all I am heading to my first Autocross event Saturday and I am wondering what tire pressure I should run. I have a 2008 Z-51 Mn6 with hankook ventus v12 evo tires in factory sizes. Any help would be great. Yes I did multiple searches for the last 1.5 hours and can't seem to find it!
Old 07-20-2013, 01:50 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 194 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by TripleAstyle123
Hey all I am heading to my first Autocross event Saturday and I am wondering what tire pressure I should run. I have a 2008 Z-51 Mn6 with hankook ventus v12 evo tires in factory sizes. Any help would be great. Yes I did multiple searches for the last 1.5 hours and can't seem to find it!
I normally run on a road course so my tires may heat up more than on an autocross course. With cold or cool tires, I would drop them all 3 psi, assuming a relatively equal amount of right and left turns, and check them as soon as I entered the paddock, or check the DIC asap after the run to see where they ended up. If low, pump up to 30, if high, bleed off to 30. Another assumption is your tires are road tires not slicks. You want the tire patch to remain flat and not rolling under. Look for arrows (^ - on GY Supercars) or some other marker at the shoulder of the tire, if there aren't any, use tire chalk or paint to paint the shoulder so you can see how far the tire is rolling for comparison.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:29 PM
Socko
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Most street tires generally need to be closer to 40psi actual pressure to work optimally. On a road track you put tons of heat into the tires but in auto cross i would set the cold pressure to 40 before you head to the track in the morning. The key will be to check the pressure before every run and let air out all day as the tires get warmer. As this is your first autocross its all about having fun, not being directly competitive. In which case i would go high rather than low, because high pressure lowers the chance of destroying a tire in a day. Which of course gets expensive and isn't fun, 40 is pretty safe that you wont be rolling the sidewall, or needing air at the autocross.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:57 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

For starting out, I would keep the tires at the recommended pressure as shown on the door sticker. Your goal for the first event is learning the course and how to navigate it without killing and maiming cones or getting the car sideways Seat time is the key. You will not notice a difference in how the car handles by changing tire pressures by a pound or two. Get seat time

Depending on the weather, the tires may heat up faster as the course surface gets hotter. And depending on the tire, how aggressive you are on the course, and the temps, it's entirely possible to see a 5 psi increase in pressure over a few runs, sometime just one run depending on the course and speeds. If you keep releasing air to maintain a set pressure, at the end of the day your tire pressure can be that 5 psi low and you have to drive home on tires that are low on air.

Have fun at your first event!! Pay attention to the course layout and ask questions. Almost every autocrosser I have met is willing to help a novice entrant. Oh, did I say get seat time??
Old 07-23-2013, 09:05 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

I don't know about the Ventus v12, but the Hankook RS3 that I have autocrossed extensively I start at 30/28 front to back. After the first run check you tires and even you pressures (eg: front 32/33 lower the 33 to 32 and same with back) after that I run them pretty much at the heated temps. I seem to do OK at those pressures.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:07 AM
USAF
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

I don't have a door sticker.
I really looked

I run mine at 32 psi

USAF
Old 07-23-2013, 11:51 AM
Bad Karma
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

It's probably going to depend on the tire you are running. I would start around 32 maybe go 30 in the rear cold and see what they look like after a run. Check your sidewalls to see if you are rolling over too far or not enough and adjust pressure from there. You can add chalk to make it easier to see. I know my PS2's are happy around 36-38 psi hot.

Get notified of new replies

To Tire Pressure

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure