Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pocono North - New pavement

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 08:59 PM
PaConehead
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Pocono North - New pavement

I ran the newly repaved and widened Pocono North course this past Sat & Sun with CVCC and the track is great! Took some time to adjust to 'new' line, but overall I'd say it is a huge improvement. The transition from the main track coming off the bowl into the infield is better than it was last year (although that wasn't hard), there still is enough of a dip to upset the car a bit - although it didn't seem to faze some guys!!

Had great weather, a great student (Chasboy), everybody played nice, lots of track time, and meet some new folks, including Argonaut from this forum. That's the way to start to the track season!!!!

Mike
Old 05-07-2013, 10:15 PM
Zak77
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great to hear. I'll be up there in 2 weeks with the RTR PCA folks. Really looking forward to it.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:53 AM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Hey Mike - nice meeting you there and running with you. The new tarmac has loads of grip, gotta love that! It's also much wider and has real curbing - huge improvements. That transition into the infield though....yikes. My car is pretty stiff and really didn't like it there. The other slight drawback is they put a crown in the pavement so on some corners you turn in off camber and then transition over the crown to on camber - kind of like Shenandoah in that respect.

All in all a great weekend - couldn't have asked for better weather or nicer people. Cudos to CVCC for putting on a great event.

Brad
Old 05-08-2013, 07:43 AM
spdislife
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Zak77
Great to hear. I'll be up there in 2 weeks with the RTR PCA folks. Really looking forward to it.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:41 AM
Bkennard18
Intermediate

That was my first time at the track. I had a blast with cvcc, wish we had a corvette club in the dc area that would spend time at the track.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:14 PM
mallett435
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Bkennard18
That was my first time at the track. I had a blast with cvcc, wish we had a corvette club in the dc area that would spend time at the track.
I had a blast too and first time at Pocono. I ran the stock Silver C6 Z06 in the Yellow group. Short track, but lots of fun and very smooth.

I live in Northern, VA too. I'm headed to VIR late June for the National Corvette Museum event. Let me know if you find any good Summit Point events.

Chris
Old 05-08-2013, 12:34 PM
Bkennard18
Intermediate

Hey chris a buddy of mine found the video you posted from this past weekend. You got better film of my car then i got of it all weekend. I have a few people interested in the corvette club event at vir where can i get all the info on it?
Old 05-08-2013, 01:29 PM
mallett435
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Bkennard18
Hey chris a buddy of mine found the video you posted from this past weekend. You got better film of my car then i got of it all weekend. I have a few people interested in the corvette club event at vir where can i get all the info on it?
http://www.corvettemuseum.org/regist.../virinfo.shtml
Old 05-08-2013, 03:40 PM
Zak77
Racer

Look up your local Porsche club or BMW clubs. They seem to do a lot of track events. I will be doing my 3rd event with the RTR PCA club and they are a great group. Very friendly, awesome instructors and a good mix of cars. 50-60% porsches (GT3's, Turbo's, 911, Cayman's etc, even a track only 914) as well as quite a few vettes, a viper, BMW's, Subaru's, Radical RS3 (my personal favorite) a Panoz and a damn nice Boss 302 Mustang. They have events just about once a month. I'm hoping to do at least 5 with them this year.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:00 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

For those interested in going to Summit Point check out TrackDaze.com. They hold several events there each year and are really one of the best organizations around for HPDE. I will be there May 18-19 with them (but I think this event is sold out) and then probably again in July.

At pocono I was the black C5 FRC in the Blue group, #32.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:25 AM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by argonaut
At pocono I was the black C5 FRC in the Blue group, #32.
And I was #7!
Old 05-09-2013, 11:31 AM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by PaConehead
We had great weather, a great student (Chasboy), everybody played nice, lots of track time, and meet some new folks, including Argonaut from this forum. That's the way to start to the track season!!!!
Mike
I want to publicly thank Mike, Dave, Jack and the rest of the CVCC for the incredible FIRST TIME track experience I had. Mike is a fabulous teacher, and when he put that solo sticker on my car Sunday for my 3rd run I was on cloud 9! My adrenalin is STILL pumping, my local club last nite had to give me the hook 'cause I couldn't stop talking about it. WE will be back for sure.
I thought the track conditions were great, and tho' I noticed the other 'minuses' mentioned by others, the overall thrill and smoothness of the track overrode any deficiencies for me.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:46 PM
PaConehead
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by argonaut
Hey Mike - nice meeting you there and running with you. The new tarmac has loads of grip, gotta love that! It's also much wider and has real curbing - huge improvements. That transition into the infield though....yikes. My car is pretty stiff and really didn't like it there. The other slight drawback is they put a crown in the pavement so on some corners you turn in off camber and then transition over the crown to on camber - kind of like Shenandoah in that respect.

All in all a great weekend - couldn't have asked for better weather or nicer people. Cudos to CVCC for putting on a great event.

Brad
Brad, geez, you are fast - you really get that car around the track!! Nice job! Hope to see you at Summit some time this summer - do you run any FATTs?
Old 05-09-2013, 10:57 PM
PaConehead
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chasboy
I want to publicly thank Mike, Dave, Jack and the rest of the CVCC for the incredible FIRST TIME track experience I had. Mike is a fabulous teacher, and when he put that solo sticker on my car Sunday for my 3rd run I was on cloud 9! My adrenalin is STILL pumping, my local club last nite had to give me the hook 'cause I couldn't stop talking about it. WE will be back for sure.
I thought the track conditions were great, and tho' I noticed the other 'minuses' mentioned by others, the overall thrill and smoothness of the track overrode any deficiencies for me.
Thanks - I enjoyed being in the car w/you. Enjoy VIR - great track!!
Old 05-09-2013, 11:13 PM
PaConehead
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mallett435
I had a blast too and first time at Pocono. I ran the stock Silver C6 Z06 in the Yellow group. Short track, but lots of fun and very smooth.

I live in Northern, VA too. I'm headed to VIR late June for the National Corvette Museum event. Let me know if you find any good Summit Point events.

Chris

Several groups run at Summit; as mentioned Track Daze is good, Washington SCCA runs 1-2 PDXs there (their version of HPDE). Summit also does Friday at the Track (FATT), good program. Have fun a VIR.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:07 AM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PaConehead
Brad, geez, you are fast - you really get that car around the track!! Nice job! Hope to see you at Summit some time this summer - do you run any FATTs?
I've never attended a FATT but would like to. I know some of the instructors and regulars so should really make the effort to get down there sometime. Do you instruct for them?
Old 05-10-2013, 10:44 AM
Zak77
Racer

Just watch out for ground hogs at Summit.

Get notified of new replies

To Pocono North - New pavement

Old 05-10-2013, 10:49 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice to see lots of new folks getting into the sport!
Old 05-10-2013, 03:29 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Zak77
Just watch out for ground hogs at Summit.
I was just there and saw geese run in front of me and a pack of deer split a group of cars on the straight doing 120+. I was in the high 130's according to my Trackmaster data - first time there. Not sure I'm going back which sucks because I really liked the track.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:41 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

So the animals don't avoid the track when noisy cars are going by?

Quick Reply: Pocono North - New pavement