Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SRT VIPER TA VS CORVETTE ZR1 great video

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 10:51 AM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Default SRT VIPER TA VS CORVETTE ZR1 great video

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/defa...?storyId=27441

Old 05-05-2013, 05:24 PM
GeorgeZNJ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

That was great, thanks for posting. Well, Corvette whatcha got?
Old 05-06-2013, 12:28 AM
vettehardt
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Ok, who's got a ZR1 with ac delete, radio delete, and upgraded tuning and shocks? Do the same things to the ZR1 that they did to the viper and I guarantee that the Z will be faster just as before.

But you can also look at it this way, the viper will not be a street car. It is made for the track only. The viper didn't beat the vette by much, but the Vette you could drive to the track with the AC on, race, and then drive it home with AC, blasting the radio, and still have all your vertebrate whey you get there.669
Old 05-06-2013, 01:48 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Dude, seriously, quit defending the Vette. It lost. No need to justify anything. This is the only way production Corvettes get faster.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:24 AM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
Dude, seriously, quit defending the Vette. It lost. No need to justify anything. This is the only way production Corvettes get faster.
+1 The Viper was still on Pirelli Corsa too which are slower than the mpsc. The Pirelli Trofeo are coming in Viper sizes as OEM and are faster than mpsc.

Time for the C7 to take the baton.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:59 AM
z06801
Melting Slicks

Received 296 Likes on 201 Posts

Great video I think we will all have to wait for a bit for a volley from Corvette as the base C7 Z51 won't have much for either of those cars.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:14 PM
mgg
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
Dude! get a ****in clue. The only way you can actually test these two cars against each other is to test them on the same day. Track temp, air temp play an important role in determining how quickly a lap can be run. Congrats to Randy Pobst and the Viper for a blistering fast lap. The bitching about the ZR-1 tires is a joke. Those tires are available , put em on a Viper and quit bitching. Its a choice. Obviously the SRT guys made a choice , live with it. The time difference between the two cars is minimal. The ZR-1 is certainley marketed to be a track and grocery getter as the Viper is a true track car. Both cars are truly impressive but as you stated in your request I am confident that a minimalistic ZR-1 would give the VIper everthing it could handle plus some. The bottom line is that both cars are really fast and would do their owners proud however I doubt most owners will have anywhere near the ability of Pobst to extract the 10/10s it takes to run that lap. This is just bench racing **** for the owners who never actually run their cars in a competitive event. I am just happy that there are these GREAT choices of really cool fast cars to purchase. By the way supposedly the carbon edition Z06 was significantly quicker and a better track car than the ZR-1 anyway maybe Pobst needs to take a lap in that. Cool cars cool times to be a car enthusiast.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:16 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by mgg
Dude! get a ****in clue. . .
And yet you echo my thoughts exactly. . .
Old 05-07-2013, 06:01 PM
jbondfl
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

I'm going to go with mgg on this one. If Viper thought the tires were a factor they could have chosen those tires themselves. Did they go with Pirelli so they had a fallback reason to whine or do they think the Pirelli is better? I have a dollar that says they won't tell you. They lose either way.
And yes, the Viper, or the ZR-1 will run faster without the AC and radio weight.
And yes yes yes, if they really wanted a comparison they'd run them both on the same track, same day.
Viper is a great car. However, .08 seconds over a 1:33 track lap isn't going to make them a track monster. WAY too many other factors possible for that .08 to be of any real value.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:07 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by jbondfl
I'm going to go with mgg on this one. If Viper thought the tires were a factor they could have chosen those tires themselves. Did they go with Pirelli so they had a fallback reason to whine or do they think the Pirelli is better? I have a dollar that says they won't tell you. They lose either way.
And yes, the Viper, or the ZR-1 will run faster without the AC and radio weight.
And yes yes yes, if they really wanted a comparison they'd run them both on the same track, same day.
Viper is a great car. However, .08 seconds over a 1:33 track lap isn't going to make them a track monster. WAY too many other factors possible for that .08 to be of any real value.
Um....................Yes, ............No,...........Maybe......... ..we'll see
Old 05-08-2013, 02:08 PM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Cool video, thanks for posting
Old 05-08-2013, 05:56 PM
1ED1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Slicks were only 3 seconds faster than the street tire? Makes me think the Pirellis worked pretty good or maybe the slicks were the wrong brand.

If someone wanted to give me one of the cars I would not say no to Viper or Vett.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:08 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Cool video. I still like my ZR1, but I'm glad the SRT guys are still pushing hard. It benefits both breeds.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:54 AM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by jbondfl
No, the faster tires (Trofeo R) are not ready in Viper sizes yet, which is why there is no equivalent tire on the Viper. But they are coming. No loss there.

I'm sure we will see more same day tests that will give us a better overall picture, but it's undeniable that the cars are pretty evenly matched. C7's are coming, but so is an ACR. Good times ahead.

Get notified of new replies

To SRT VIPER TA VS CORVETTE ZR1 great video

Quick Reply: SRT VIPER TA VS CORVETTE ZR1 great video