Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone converted power steering to non-power steering?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 09:55 PM
steven31371
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone converted power steering to non-power steering?

Looks like I blew a seal in my rackin pinion and have to get it rebuilt....but if the option is available I'd rather just convert to a more track friendly non power steering setup that is more durable and has more direct feel than the power setup.

Has anyone done this?

Can you point in me in the right direction as far as parts and a "how to".

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:11 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

You don't want to do that. It will wear out your arms on a road course. Especially with a good amount of pos. caster
Old 05-03-2013, 11:38 PM
steven31371
Burning Brakes

K

What mods do you recommend to make the system more track reliable...don't want to have another breakdown at the track again

Also, does carrying more caster put more stress on the power steering system....I'm running about 9.4 caster.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:57 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

The most common modifications on cars like yours are to have your pump and rack rebuilt by turn one. They do have an option for the pump rebuild that should improve feel slightly. Having them install their pulley is worthwhile as well since it makes pump removal/install easier. The other thing to do is to use a power steering fluid cooler. There are many to choose from. Basically a small transmission type cooler sized to fit wherever you prefer to install it. I use a frame rail transmission cooler from permacool and mounted it in the airbox. I also converted all my power steering lines/fittings to AN style so I am not married to oem lines, seals, etc. AN parts are universal and can be found just about anywhere race parts are available.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:58 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,153 Likes on 5,984 Posts

That's way too much. Most try to be around 6.

ECS makes a nice manual steering kit. Never tried one in a Corvette. Know a few people with manual steering in road race cars and they like it. Also, know a few others who hate it. I think it depends on how heavy the car is.

Turn One is the place to go for rebuilt pumps and racks for track duty.

Last edited by RapidC84B; 05-04-2013 at 06:06 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:04 AM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 for Turn One! They also make a pulley that's not solid, so you can get at the trapped bolt which holds the pump on. It's only one, but it's a pain if you don't pull the pulley before you pull the pump, and it's hard to do that without taking too much stuff off the car.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:59 AM
steven31371
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys....this looks very cool:

http://www.turnone-steering.com/vari...ble-flow-valv/
Old 05-04-2013, 06:07 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,153 Likes on 5,984 Posts

FYI the LS2 PS pulley has openings for bolt access w/o having to pay the premium for the Turn-One pulley. It installs on the LS1/6 pump just fine.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:00 AM
InflatableDog
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my exp. There isn't enough adjustment in the Corvette front suspension to turn down the caster enough. A car that is setup to run a non power rack will only have a few degrees of caster, and will run more static negative camber.

Anything within the factory caster range will be impossible to turn on a track car that is using sticky tires.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:47 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by InflatableDog

Anything within the factory caster range will be impossible to turn on a track car that is using sticky tires.
Amen to that. When the engine dropped a valve going down the front straight at the Glen 2 years ago I had all I could handle getting it into the run off area and stopped. Power steering and brakes both went away and the brute was really hard to steer even at triple digit speeds.

Bill
Old 05-06-2013, 04:37 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,085 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
That's way too much. Most try to be around 6.

ECS makes a nice manual steering kit. Never tried one in a Corvette. Know a few people with manual steering in road race cars and they like it. Also, know a few others who hate it. I think it depends on how heavy the car is.

Turn One is the place to go for rebuilt pumps and racks for track duty.

Thanks!
our manual racks are for drag racing applications though, you better have some serious upper body strength to road race one of them!

I would also recommend Turn one products and a big cooler. Actually the big cooler fixed all my P.S. troubles, then as I wore parts out I replaced with Turn one.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone converted power steering to non-power steering?

Quick Reply: Anyone converted power steering to non-power steering?