Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shift-i and GIpro X-type

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 03:38 PM
cyber-vette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Shift-i and GIpro X-type

I am installing a LED sequential tach and gear indicator. The tach is by Shift-i and the gear indicator is by Healtech. I am mounting them in front of the DIC and will still be able to see the DIC. When finished I will post more pictures and video of them in action. Shift-i configured and working tomorrow I will calibrate GIpro. I'm not trying to sell these products just offering more info for thoes interested in doing the same.

Shift-I

GIpro

Pictures of the install.
I taped into the wiring at the heads Up display harness. I used Posi-Tap connectors on the Speed and RPM wires.

Last edited by cyber-vette; 05-05-2013 at 10:35 AM.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:01 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Hey Rich - your installation looks really slick, and the gear indicator looks like a great addition to the setup!!!

I'm sorry I couldn't offer any advice on setting up the Shift-i when you PMed me the other day - it had just been too long since I had installed mine, and I couldn't remember any of the details.

It looks like you got it figured out!!

Looking forward to some video!!

One of the problems I had in video of my car on the track was that that the shift lights flickered due to the frequency of the electrical system (60 Hz, i believe) being in synch with the frames per second of the video (30 fps). You can see the flicker in the video below.

I've got a newer camera that can take video at 25 or 50 fps, but I haven't tried it yet.

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 05-03-2013 at 04:04 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:01 PM
MR Turco
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice project. How do you wire up the GIpro? Looks like it's only marketed for bikes.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:21 PM
cyber-vette
Racer

Bob,

I don't give up too easily

Here are my setting I have and seems to be pretty good. You really only control the first LED and the last LED.

Shift-I Settings

Calibration Value 2
Shift Point Low 3,000
Shift Point High 6,500
RPM Step Size 500
Startup Display #2-shift sequence
RPM Hysteresis #2-6.25%
RPM Input Delay #3-4 seconds

I have this all controlled via my Kenwood 9980HD option switch. When turned on it cuts the power to the NPP exhaust fuse and powers the Shift-i and GIpro. So in "normal" driving I have the switch off and during "sport" driving I turn it on. I'll post a video and you'll get it.

Shift-i and GIpro X are marketed to bikes but it works on cars too.

Shift-i User Manual
shift_i_user_manual.pdf

GIpro X User Manual
shifti/GPX_UsersGuide_en.pdf

Last edited by cyber-vette; 05-03-2013 at 04:36 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:28 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

Nice job, I had the Shift-I that I got from Bob mounted on the top of my dash similar to the way I did the Traqdash. Your set up looks really nice and the gear indicator will be a really nice addition. I loved the Shift-I, it really worked great. JD
Old 05-03-2013, 07:56 PM
cyber-vette
Racer

First video of Shift-i and GIpro X together. The first part is how I control the Exhaust, Shift-i and GIpro X. Second part I show the startup and third I rev it to 5,500 and 6 lights come on. The GIpro has not been setup so it is still in the learning mode. I will setup GIpro tomorrow on a 1 hour trip to Sarasota, FL. I will post another video showing them working together.

Last edited by cyber-vette; 05-03-2013 at 08:04 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:13 PM
jbondfl
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Why is this better than the heads up display?
Old 05-04-2013, 06:29 PM
cyber-vette
Racer

I finished a 3 hour trip today with the Shift-i and GIpro X they both worked perfectly. Quick video of run through gears. I tried to trick it but it never displayed the wrong gear. Sometimes I got a blip of the wrong gear but it always corrected itself and displayed the proper gear. I kept saying damb this thing is smart.

Project completed !

Last edited by cyber-vette; 05-04-2013 at 06:37 PM.
Old 09-14-2015, 10:22 PM
Leon Stewart
1st Gear

Default hi im just trying to find out what wires you tapped into to get the gear indicator to

Originally Posted by cyber-vette
I am installing a LED sequential tach and gear indica[QUOTE
tor. The tach is by Shift-i and the gear indicator is by Healtech. I am mounting them in front of the DIC and will still be able to see the DIC. When finished I will post more pictures and video of them in action. Shift-i configured and working tomorrow I will calibrate GIpro. I'm not trying to sell these products just offering more info for thoes interested in doing the same.

Shift-I

GIpro

Pictures of the install.
I taped into the wiring at the heads Up display harness. I used Posi-Tap connectors on the Speed and RPM wires.

[/QUOTE]
Old 09-15-2015, 06:16 AM
Whis9
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

neat stuff

Get notified of new replies

To Shift-i and GIpro X-type

Quick Reply: Shift-i and GIpro X-type