Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Consdering a Z06 for track days

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 11:14 AM
kdm123
Pro

Received 92 Likes on 63 Posts

Default Consdering a Z06 for track days

Hey guys,

I've been considering buying a Z06 for some time now, and I think I'm about to pull the trigger to buy one.

I'm a Ford guy and have been running a '01 Cobra track day car. (I also do some other road racing.) It's a fabulous car, but it has not been very reliable. I am hoping that a stock Z06 will be not only as much fun but also much more reliable.

I have looked through all the FAQ's, but I still have a couple of questions...

1) Would most Z06's already have the steering lock problem fixed? It was a recall, right?

2) Replacing the battery with a gel-type is a must, right?

3) How much can I expect to pay to have a shop install upgraded valve springs?

4) Is there a way to mount a 5-point harness with the stock seats? I seem to recall someone saying that there's a kit to modify the seat so a submarine belt can be fitted.

5) How necessary are oil and diff coolers? I will be running in So Cal deserts. How much can I expect a shop to charge me to install these?

6) What brake pads do you use for track days, and how expensive are they?

How reliable can I expect the Z06 to be as a track day car? I expect to run a dozen events a year. I'm comfortable driving at 10/10th, so I expect to use the car pretty hard.

Any other advice?!

Thanks!
Old 05-01-2013, 12:17 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

a c5z I assume? generally cheaper to run than a c6z.

1) not sure about that, the recall does not seem to really solve the problem. you need to install a bypass. $50.
2) I did just for peace of mind. $100+ and trickle charge should last quite a while.
3) I dont know I never did that. is that necessary if not changing engine internals? I have decided to stay stock internally to ensure reliability.
4) the c5 sport seats I think you can, not a stock c5z seat. they suck. I replaced them with seats from Arizen. Lots of choices. Seats will be anywhere from $1000 up complete with brackets etc.
5) i do not have them and have not had problems. I did add an oil cooler. that is a must. I am a int/adv HPDE driver - about 20 days total - depending on club and track so there are definitely folks that can overheat a c5z trans better than me ...
6) $64k question ... tons of threads on this. search and read and look for deals. wilwood H seem to get high marks for performance and longevity. < $400 for all 4 wheels.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:01 PM
Han Solo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

IMHO Ford guys do not go well with chebys. May be different in your case since you say your cobra hasn't been reliable.

I drive a 99 Mustang GT for track and autox and have for years. It's been dead reliable and still is.

I bought a 03Z a few years back and only kept it a year. It bit me right off the bat with a bad pilot bearing. Thank goodness I could do the work myself and I got lucky on some parts purchases. I found a brand new torque tube in the box for cheap and bought a stock replacement clutch assembly with flywheel off Amazon. After buying the new slave I think I was in the clutch job for under $1200 and a couple of days work. The same amount of parts and labor would have been about $5800 at the stealership.

That steering lock recall had 4 different versions and if the car had any one of them done GM would not do another for free. Mine had had the first version recall done which only programmed the ECU not to allow it to run over 5 MPH or something like that with the steering locked. It didn't actually FIX anything but GM would not do any of the latter fixes since they had it on record that the car had the first recall done. The last I read their final version actually removed the locking pin but the car could still think it was locked and limit speed. That said mine only locked a couple of times the first week I owned it. Both times I parked it with the steering wheel turned and both times I got it loose by pulling hard right on the wheel while turning the key on. After that I made a point of parking with the wheels straight in case I had to winch it on a trailer and it never locked again.

That battery thing might be a good idea. Mine had already had the battery replaced with another lead acid type so I left it alone.

I changed my valve springs with stock Z06 springs. From what I've read it's a good idea to change them every 30K or so. Be careful with upgrade springs you don't over stress some other components.

Only mod I did on my seats was to fix the broken fiberglass bolster and tuck the bolster padding inside of it to tighten them up. I'm a little on the thin side and this added support I enjoyed.

No advice on the other stuff. I never got brave enough to track a car I was making payments on so it saw a few autocrosses and that was it. Make sure you can afford to ball it up and walk away if you are planing to track it.

I feel much safer in my Mustang than I did in the vette and I've passed my share of vettes on track with it. even so I am in the process of building a fully caged stock car for track days. You might want to consider that route for less money and greater reliability and safety.

Last edited by Han Solo; 05-01-2013 at 01:08 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:14 PM
Socko
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I bought my c5z as a summer/track car after much research. It is from all I could find the most capable and most reliable summer/track car available in the 20-30k range that I wanted to pay. From everything I have read, these cars at stock power levels are nearly bullet proof, though of course track use will require some coolers and more maintenence than a weekend show car would, of course.

Most cars I have looked at already have the column lock bypassed. It is cheap and easy to do yourself if it isn't done.

Battery is a good idea, again, the primary issue was the stock battery, all of which have been swapped out by now.

I personally avoided 01 due to oil consumption issues and 02 and early 03 due to the spring failure issues. Look for a midyear 03 or later to avoid the motor issues if you are concerned, all the info is easily searchable on here. in general the failure rates dont seem too bad, but coming from my POS STI that had cracked ringlands at 8k I wanted to avoid every possible issue.

As stated you will need an oil cooler sooner than later at even a novice level for hot track days. I intend to get one that is built into the radiator as this seems to be the best bet for a mostly street driven car.

If you are serious about the track you will need a new drivers seat minimally. My bruised knees a week after my first track day this season can attest to that.

I am running xp10/xp8 combo. FRONT PADS GO FAST on the stock setup. I will likely switch to 10/10 to try to shift the bias back a little to ease up load on the front pads and to just balance the breaking, the car is breaking way too much with the fronts, and I am a big brake wuss. The xp10/8 combo held up very well to BHF though which is a rough brake track, even though it is slow there is no place to cool the brakes down really. If they work there, they will work anyplace I drive which is limited to Road America, BHF and autobahncc.

giubo's, motor, and trans mounts can fail and should be monitored/replaced. Bushings are 10 years old by this point so considerations should be made to replace if you deem that necessary at your skill level. Fluids will of course need regular swaps. If you aren't running a trans/diff cooler you should consider changing that fluid every track session or 3, ther eis a fair ammount of talk of c5 diffs being a weak point when heated a bunch they don't seem to have a pressure bleed and tend to seep a bit, and turns into a leak, nice thing is the diffs are cheap, but sort of a pain to swap as i believe the whole trans/diff has to come out which means the subframe has to be dropped. (not as easy as my z28 fixed axle was back in the day) Clutch fluid is wierd and is regularly contamitaed by hard shifts. I don't shift hard so its not a deal for me. I cleaned it once through the master and its still clean 2 track days and 1500 miles later. The cars eat front brakes and rotors with the stock setup. You can get a nice 4 piston setup that fits under the stock wheels and supports 20mm pads. I only track a few days a year, so in my case stock rotors are effectivly free, and I spend $600 a year on pads. Tires cost a bunch per mile, no way around that.

Last edited by Socko; 05-01-2013 at 01:52 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:42 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you talking C5 or C6?
Old 05-01-2013, 04:41 PM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

In regards to Hans Solo's post. Just because he had issues does not mean a Mustang is a better track car over a Vette IMO. Vettes are hands down a better performance machine. I've instructed a number of Mustangs at the track and a few I took in my car and they made comments that they should have bought a Vette. They are just not as track oriented.

Now, Vettes can certainly have issues but I haven't really experienced any yet.

I have an '04 Z and here are my notes after 15 track days with it, 11 being in the first year:

-'04 did not have valve spring issue - i still replaced mine with oem after 20 hours of track use
-Z06 needs a front brake kit IMO - you can get away with the oem but the difference is really quite large once I upgraded
-C5 needs an oil cooler and most likely a radiator depending on your skill level. Depending on how long of sessions you do you may need a trans/diff cooler. I typically only do 15-20 min sessions so I haven't gotten one and had no issues.
-I have replaced tie-rod ends twice, power steering pump, and a few belts (maintenance), and a few hoses.

Other than that, from everything I've read the LS6 is probably the most reliable track motor. Now, it won't put out the power that the LS7 will so you have to keep that in mind.

The car definitely needs seats too. The stock seats are awful as is the shifter. Put a C6 shifter in it.

Otherwise, I've been thouroughly impressed with what a '04 Z can do.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:11 PM
kdm123
Pro

Received 92 Likes on 63 Posts

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I meant a C5.

How much will engine and trans coolers run me (parts and labor at a good shop)?

Anything else I need to look out for?

Thanks!
Old 05-01-2013, 06:12 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

I copied this response from the C5 Z06 thread on shocks........

i just picked up a set of 2004 sachs shocks from my local dealer today for $454

part numbers are 10339944 and 10339945, full list is something else

list on the rear is 233.76ea and list on the fronts are 195.40ea

they charged me after haggling 125 for the rear and 102 for the fronts

GM did a LOT of work on the 04 valving to control bump steer and make the car more compliant in real world conditions and at the same time have stability in hard corners.

this is one of the few available shocks that's specifically valves to the z06 springs and sway bars

personally i would never consider the bilsteins. i have no idea what rates they are valved for or what the rebound is like, does anyone? c6z shocks are probably close but it's a different car with more wheel weight and a slightly different layout. also no idea who's making c6z shocks or what the long term quality is like.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:58 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by kdm123
Thanks for the replies. Yes, I meant a C5.

How much will engine and trans coolers run me (parts and labor at a good shop)?

Anything else I need to look out for?

Thanks!
Engine Oil Cooler - very much needed IMO for any hard/hot track work. You have options: radiator/cooler combo or separate stand alone. Personally I have the DeWitts with integrated EOC. Cost is ~$700-900 for the radiator. Then you will need the adapter plate to route oil from the engine to the cooler + the lines. Figure another $150-200. Then you got labor at $100/hr and it takes a couple, three hours.

Transmission Cooler - talking manual right? Whether or not its needed is debatable. I have one. There are some options here as well. I have an electic pump and small stand alone cooler that sits inside the rear fender - behind the brake cooling duct on the Z06.

Differential Cooler - got one of those as welll. I burnt up my first diff. Installed the cooler and have about 35 track days on the current diff with no issues...so for me its working thus far. Same configuration as above - electric pump and standalone cooler.

The Trany and Diff coolers are typically bought as a kit. You can get them from Doug Rippie motorsports (LG also makes a really nice set up). The kit is ~1300. Then you got labor to install and that takes a few hours because there is a bit of fab work and running of the electrics and such.

Go to Doug Rippie site and look under Cooling and under Driveline - they have it all.

To set up a Vette for reliable, serious track work (we are not talking a couple times a year here) takes a lot of dough - several thousand easily. But once done they are very reliable and maintainable - far cheaper to run than something like a Porsche.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:36 PM
boltvette
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

4) Is there a way to mount a 5-point harness with the stock seats? I seem to recall someone saying that there's a kit to modify the seat so a submarine belt can be fitted.
If you are going to be using it for more than just track days and would like to stay with the stock seats, look into Angel Pads, made by Angelwings Tech. A lot cheaper than a seat/harness and you can keep them in the back when your not at the track or on a canyon run. You will still have upper body movement, but your hips will be locked into place. Your knees will thank you.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:21 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

1) Would most Z06's already have the steering lock problem fixed? It was a recall, right?

3) How much can I expect to pay to have a shop install upgraded valve springs?

5) How necessary are oil and diff coolers? I will be running in So Cal deserts. How much can I expect a shop to charge me to install these?

How reliable can I expect the Z06 to be as a track day car? I expect to run a dozen events a year. I'm comfortable driving at 10/10th, so I expect to use the car pretty hard.

Thanks!
I have a stockish C5Z and drive in intermediate group. Here goes:

1. I don't think most column locks will necessarily be fixed. Mine wasn't. But then, I never had an issue with mine (which is what the original owners said too). Don't worry too much about this.

2. I did replace when my battery went. Don't worry about it.

3. About $400 labor, get the springs yourself for $100. I did this early on after I bought the car.

4. No idea. I track it w/o much seat mods. Running 10/10ths, I suspect you will want an aftermarket seat.

5. Absolutely necessary for running 10/10ths in desert heat. Needs engine oil cooler; I have an external. If you do that, get a radiator; mine runs too hot on stock radiator. Also need a diff or tranny cooler: I blew a seal already just running intermediate. Said seal requires removal of diff just to replace...very $$$

6. Wilwood H. $200 for the fronts and they last a long, long, long, long time.

I think they are very reliable if you do the mods needed. You will need the coolers. If you run Hoosiers, you will likely need to rebuild/upgrade the steering pump and also the suspension bushings (rubber won't last against Hoosier forces).

HTH
Old 05-01-2013, 11:22 PM
hellrazr
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys,

I've been considering buying a Z06 for some time now, and I think I'm about to pull the trigger to buy one.

I'm a Ford guy and have been running a '01 Cobra track day car. (I also do some other road racing.) It's a fabulous car, but it has not been very reliable. I am hoping that a stock Z06 will be not only as much fun but also much more reliable.
What's your application? Are you going to pound it driving all-out for 30 minute sessions 8-12 times per weekend, or are you going to manage the car? What kind of tires will you install? These things will influence reliability.

Depends on the year. Read up on this here:
http://corvettemechanic.com/forum/43...ock-issue.html

There seemed to be vendors spreading FUD to sell their column lock "fixes".

Depends on the application. If you have to ask, then you probably don't need it.

OEM battery should work fine for track duty.

There may be, but safety devices are designed as part of a system. If you go with a harness, then a race seat, roll bar, HANS, and a racing suit should probably go with it.

It depends if you want to go ***** out every lap. It can be managed by taking cool down laps, or using higher gears. Every car seems to be different, but most end up needing an oil cooler.

Raybestos ST43. $400 but they are very durable, have excellent stopping power, and can handle any heat you throw at em. They are hard on rotors, but rotors are cheaper than good pads.

It's designed for track enthusiasts and it takes a pounding and is ready for more. Upgrade the brake fluid and brake pads and you are good to go. Stay with street tires and the car will be very reliable. Once you put go beyond street tires, parts will wear faster.

It's pretty simple: keep it stock, and it will be reliable.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:07 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Lets see Hmmm..

Buy C5Z
Change all fluids ( dot 4 brake fluid)
add extra quart of oil
put on better brakepads.

Go to track and drive

that is about it to start.

Good luck
Old 05-02-2013, 01:01 PM
Han Solo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://v8stockcar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2561
Old 05-02-2013, 01:29 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Lets see Hmmm..

Buy C5Z
Change all fluids ( dot 4 brake fluid)
add extra quart of oil
put on better brakepads.

Go to track and drive

that is about it to start.

Good luck
Close. Considering he has experience and is located in a desert, I would say the external engine oil cooler ($300 used) is something I would do from the start. I would also re-fresh the shocks; what's the point of tracking on ???70k mi shocks (these cars are getting older).
Old 05-02-2013, 02:35 PM
rigit
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ill give you my experiences since I have had the car a short time and have been tracking it. I went from Autocrossing a CSP miata for 6 years. started tracking it regularly 2011-2012. got my TT liscense. After 10 years of saving and depreciation, I figured out a way to buy my dream car in july last year. 2002 EB Z06 with 53k miles. now for the part you want to know.

1) Aug 2012, Barber MSP, took it bone stock just like I got it. street tires, paper filter and all. I did three session and each one would get black flagged about halfway through. car was smoking. I couldnt figure it out trackside, but later discovered it was the tranny was over full and venting on the exhaust

- Drained all fluids, and refilled with good stuff and proper amount.
- Stock seat and belt SUCKED for track, I was flopping around everywhere, and my legs were sore from bracing. so bought and installed a BK harness bar and 4 point to hold me in.

2) Sept 2012 NOLA MSP, Took it and did TTA with it bone stock again + 4 point. having the right amount of fluids let me get all my sessions without issue. Unless you consider brakes an issue. they were pretty scary by the end of the day. I was braking REALLY early. TRACK PADS ARE A MUST! I wasnt expecting that coming from a 2000lb car that could track all day on performance street pads.

3) Nov 2012 NOLA MSP, did TTA again on the long course. this time I had a set of track pads(CL RC6), a fresh system bleed with good DOT 4, I also got me a spare set of four rears (18x10.5) and mounted 275 Hoosier A6's all around. Oh and I got a T1 front sway bar. OMG the car was a different animal on track pads and tires. the grip of the tires helped a bunch im sure, but the brakes were night and day. I was getting an extra 10mph before braking on the end of straight (142mph). and it did it all day with no issues. I managed to set the TTA track record too.

4) Jan 2013, Houston MSP. now that TT3 rules are in place, I mounted up 315's and a wing (not gonna run it again, I wont dwell on that, ask if you want to know). anyway, I got my butt handed to me by Vorshlags new Mustang shop car. but the corvette did flawless both days. no problems. and times were fast enough to beat the old TTA time.

- since TT3 rules allow 9.0:1 lb/WHP, I decided to spring for a Vararam intake. that should put it right there when dyno'd, and maybe a little more at speed (which isnt measured, hehe)
- I also got some Ti brake pad shims, hopefully will keep fluid temps down. extended cooling Ducts are on the want list
- and I just ordered a set of DRM valved Bilstien shocks to replace the stock 11yo, and now 65k mile shocks. I was really hoping to have these for the event this weekend, but FEDEX says they will be here saturday :-(

5) this weekend, Back to NOLA! expecting no issues and hoping to better my TTA time with wider tires and ram air.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:28 PM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just get it and put DOT 4 fluid and new brake pads. After a few track days, you'll know what you need and in what order.

Bang for your buck, there isn't a better car out there for the track.

Get notified of new replies

To Consdering a Z06 for track days

Old 05-02-2013, 08:21 PM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Rigit.
I'd like to know about the wing since I'm currently in st3, run 315 tires, and have a wing on order.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:01 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

See below
Hey guys,

I have looked through all the FAQ's, but I still have a couple of questions...

1) Would most Z06's already have the steering lock problem fixed? It was a recall, right? I have had it lock 3 times in 8 years. It's always been the battery getting ready to die.
2) Replacing the battery with a gel-type is a must, right? Whatever size 75 battery Walmart has works. It's hard to find a Delco battery around here for a reasonable price.
3) How much can I expect to pay to have a shop install upgraded valve springs? I paid $60 for a set of GM srings and around $100 for the crane tool and air fitting to change them. It took me about 2-3 hours going really slow.
4) Is there a way to mount a 5-point harness with the stock seats? I seem to recall someone saying that there's a kit to modify the seat so a submarine belt can be fitted. I have a 6 point "parachute type" cam-lock harness mounted using Brey-Krause bar and belt mounts. The seat is not modified.
5) How necessary are oil and diff coolers? I will be running in So Cal deserts. How much can I expect a shop to charge me to install these? Installing Royal Purple was enough to drop trans temp just a wee bit. Trans over-temp light has only come on once (before changing). I have run on hot days in Midwest, but your experience may different.
6) What brake pads do you use for track days, and how expensive are they? $300 or so for good fronts. Buy the Essex, LG or Hardbar T1 kits and use stock rotors. The caliper kit will pay for itself in 10-20 track days. 20 mm 7420 pads are around $100 less per set and last twice as long.

7) How reliable can I expect the Z06 to be as a track day car? I expect to run a dozen events a year. I'm comfortable driving at 10/10th, so I expect to use the car pretty hard. Carry stock rotors with you to events (they are a consumable), change oil twice a year, fill gas tank as required.Any other advice?!

Thanks!
Old 05-03-2013, 12:43 AM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Don't over think it; do it. The only thing I would tell you to consider is look at a C5 instead of a z06. You'll be replacing most of the benefits of a z06 eventually for track duty equipment. The best idea is to buy an already prepped car.

Quick Reply: Consdering a Z06 for track days