Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harness bar questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 12:09 PM
Toilets
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Harness bar questions

Hi,
I need to buy a harness bar and all the components necessary for a complete set up (belts etc) for a 2012 GS with stock seats.

Does anyone know exactly what I would need besides the bar? Any recommendations on what brand? The car will only be used for hpde events.

I am not sure what type of belts I need or harness or what other components I need besides the actual bar itself.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Old 04-29-2013, 02:38 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

I put a Sharkbar in my '08 and lots of folks have installed Hardbar's as well. There may be others but those are the 2 that come to mind. You'd also need a mount for the sub-belt, both of which should be available from those folks. After that it's the harness of your preference.

Here's the thing about the stock seats, have you seen the pics of the C7 with the option seats with those big holes on either side of the headrest? Unless the shoulder straps are going THROUGH the seatback then you're not helping yourself much versus the DOT 3-point seatbelt. Under lateral load the shoulder belts going over the top/sides of the seat could slip down and not hold you in place. Folks do it anyway, but I think it's important that you have the info.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:40 PM
skxf430
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You will need a seat with the necessary pass throughs for the headrests and seat bottom for your new harness. Seat brands like Recaro, Sparco, Corbeau, Cobra, etc., are always good choices. A good 6 point harness like Schoth is a good compliment with the seat.

And, you will want to invest into a head and neck restraint system like a HANS, Safety Solutions, etc.. A harness should only be worn if you are using a HANS like safety devise. You will get a lot of feedback and opinions on this but if you look at the various demonstrations it seems like a real no brainer to use a HANS type devise while using a harness.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:01 PM
Toilets
Drifting

Yes to the HANS but I'm getting the one that straps to your back so that I can move from car to car.

Good point on the seats. I was hoping this would have helped with the stock seats. I may need to rethink this route.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:05 PM
skxf430
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It is a bit of a slippery slope when you get into a harness bar. I would prefer a 4 or 5 point rollbar over a harness bar but it seems for a Z06 it is a bit more invloving than just bolting a bar together. I am still in search of getting a rollbar that fits a Z06 properly.

I do believe a seat would be beneficial, and the best way to get a harness to work properly in conjunction with the head and neck restraint.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:07 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having the vette works shark bar put in next week. Popular choice with a couple of vette shops in my area.

http://www.vetteworksonline.net/cata...products_id=43

Here is another one used by the shop I am going to. A bit more expensive, but supposed to be nice:

http://www.bkauto.com/R_1120_Harness...r_p/r-1120.htm

Good luck. I am excited to get mine done.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:10 PM
Toilets
Drifting

Originally Posted by MarkDFW
I am having the vette works shark bar put in next week. Popular choice with a couple of vette shops in my area.

http://www.vetteworksonline.net/cata...products_id=43

Here is another one used by the shop I am going to. A bit more expensive, but supposed to be nice:

http://www.bkauto.com/R_1120_Harness...r_p/r-1120.htm

Good luck. I am excited to get mine done.

Are you using the stock 2012 GS seats?
Old 04-29-2013, 10:22 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Toilets
Are you using the stock 2012 GS seats?
Cobra Suzuka GT will be new driver seat. Passenger seat will stay stock for now as I daily drive the car.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:28 PM
Toilets
Drifting

Originally Posted by MarkDFW
Cobra Suzuka GT will be new driver seat. Passenger seat will stay stock for now as I daily drive the car.
Thank you for the information! I appreciate it
Old 04-29-2013, 10:35 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Thank you for the information! I appreciate it
Welcome. Butt test a seat before you buy!
Old 04-29-2013, 11:26 PM
exracer28
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 48 Posts

I have a Hardbar that I would not recommend to anyone over 5 ft tall. They do have a fix for thr grownup but it is an additional $150 plus

If it was correctly designed they would have left seat room. Best example of **** poor engineering I have seen in years.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:43 AM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I had a Hardball as well and found it to sit too high. I'm 6'2. I ended up switching to a Sparco harness bar. It sits lower and has the support beams down to the ground.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:21 AM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by TheKomoman
I put a Sharkbar in my '08 and lots of folks have installed Hardbar's as well. There may be others but those are the 2 that come to mind. You'd also need a mount for the sub-belt, both of which should be available from those folks. After that it's the harness of your preference.

Here's the thing about the stock seats, have you seen the pics of the C7 with the option seats with those big holes on either side of the headrest? Unless the shoulder straps are going THROUGH the seatback then you're not helping yourself much versus the DOT 3-point seatbelt. Under lateral load the shoulder belts going over the top/sides of the seat could slip down and not hold you in place. Folks do it anyway, but I think it's important that you have the info.
Yep, even worse in a crash.

If you came thru my Tech Inspection line (SCCA) with harness belts that wrap around the seat or go over the top, you would be told that you can't use them on the track.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:01 AM
Toilets
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bill32
Yep, even worse in a crash.

If you came thru my Tech Inspection line (SCCA) with harness belts that wrap around the seat or go over the top, you would be told that you can't use them on the track.
Why I have an annual tech sticker. I kid I kid.

But on a serious note, I was looking for more added safety and it looks as if this is not a viable option if I wish to retain my stock seat ( believe it or not I actually like the centennial GS seats)

I believe my money will be better spent on the Hans that is portable.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:43 AM
VatorMan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06-'10-'11, '15

I'll take some pics of my setup before I change them back to stock. I was able to find a set of Carvaggio seats cheap. I have a Shark bar and CROW 6 point harness. I also have a HANS device.

I'm getting where I can change seats in about 20 minutes.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:49 AM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sharkbar is very nice as is the Hardbar, if you can get it to fit right (it's very high; the separate extender helps a bit). I instructed in a car with a Schroth four point and stock seats the other day. It was very nice and unobtrusive. Held us in the seats better than the three points. Also get the plugs to put into the seat belt receivers if you don't want the GS bitching at you about no seat belts. It's just a flat metal bit that sticks into the inboard seat belt socket and tells the car it's buckled. You can't buckle the stock belts in teh C6 and sit on them comfortably like you could in the C5.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:50 AM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

Why I have an annual tech sticker. I kid I kid.

But on a serious note, I was looking for more added safety and it looks as if this is not a viable option if I wish to retain my stock seat ( believe it or not I actually like the centennial GS seats)

I believe my money will be better spent on the Hans that is portable.
Depending on how often you track the vehicle it's a fairly easy seat to swap for track days. 4 bolts hold the seat to the floor, a bolt on the outboard side of the seat for the shoulder belt and then whatever harnesses are connected underneath.

Pure safety factor aside, you sit FAR more securely in a race seat with a 6 point which means you move around a lot less so you don't have to hold yourself in place. In the stock seat I would come home from a track day with sore leg muscles from holding myself in place, not so in my Sparco. Less fatigue means sharper brain means safer!

Get notified of new replies

To Harness bar questions

Old 04-30-2013, 11:59 AM
Grabbed_Crow_Mobe
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TheKomoman
Pure safety factor aside, you sit FAR more securely in a race seat with a 6 point which means you move around a lot less so you don't have to hold yourself in place. In the stock seat I would come home from a track day with sore leg muscles from holding myself in place, not so in my Sparco. Less fatigue means sharper brain means safer!

I had the same problem and ditched my factory seats soon after getting a harness. The seats made a huge difference. The harness with factory seats, not so much.

(I have a vetteworks lap belt bar that I used only twice I could sell you if you're interested)
Old 04-30-2013, 12:08 PM
Toilets
Drifting

Originally Posted by Grabbed_Crow_Mobe

I had the same problem and ditched my factory seats soon after getting a harness. The seats made a huge difference. The harness with factory seats, not so much.

(I have a vetteworks lap belt bar that I used only twice I could sell you if you're interested)
Yes I'm interested. What else do I need? Or what does the bar come with?
Old 04-30-2013, 12:42 PM
Grabbed_Crow_Mobe
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes I'm interested. What else do I need? Or what does the bar come with?
You’ll need:

Harness Bar
Optional precut panels for ease of installation
Lap belt bar
Harness
Seat belt inserts

-Harness Bar
I went with the Shark bar and didn’t have any problems with using or installing it. I opted to buy the precut panels to make installation easy (and make it easy to return to stock).

-Lap belt bar
You’ll need a lap belt bar to attach the harness to as the stock seats don’t have mounting locations for the harness. Perhaps others have tried to make it work? I opted for the bar. Here’s link:
http://www.vetteworksonline.net/cata...products_id=58

-Harness
This is tricky with stock seats. Most harnesses recommend having the sub belts come up through the seats to work correctly. Some people wrap them around the front of the seat. I was skeptical about that. I found a harness that doesn’t require that and works very well. Also regarded as one of the best harnesses on the market but more expensive than the rest. It’s called the Jet Pilot made by Team Tech and works perfectly with stock seats and the lap belt bar. Link:
http://www.teamtechmotorsports.com/

-Seat Belt inserts
These plug into your existing seat belt receptacles when you’re using your harness so you don’t get the annoying seat belt warning while you’re driving. I have one (maybe two) I can give you if you decide you want to buy the lap belt bar.

Angel pads seems to help a lot of people who have stock seats with a harness. I never tried them but have heard good things. Prevents the bruising of the knees from holding yourself in place.
http://www.1010thsmotorsports.com/an...seat_pads.html

Hope this helps,
Kevin

Quick Reply: Harness bar questions