Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to buy a Vette. Now lets go Autocrossing!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 05:49 PM
Bicyclewrench
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to buy a Vette. Now lets go Autocrossing!

Hi ya'll. I have nearly concluded my C4 Vette transaction. A 1990 Steel blue FX3 car with less than 60000 on the clock. I have ALWAYS wanted to get into some form of road racing and to me Autocross seems the ticket! Is there a club I can get into or something in the Eastern Panhandle of WV? Summit Point is 20mins from here and it looks like the occasional event happens out there. I guess what I'm looking for is to be "plugged in"*to local happenings. Any suggestions?
Old 04-24-2013, 06:01 PM
68-427Rich
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

http://swvrscca.org/
Old 04-24-2013, 06:06 PM
Bicyclewrench
Advanced

Step in the right direction. Anybody know anything near D.C.?
Old 04-24-2013, 06:12 PM
68-427Rich
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Use "Find Events Near Me"

http://www.scca.com/events/index.cfm?next=15&sid=76
Old 04-24-2013, 06:28 PM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

HPDE with http://www.nasaracing.net/ or the Potomac Audi Club or BMW club or Porsche club in the area.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:50 PM
Bicyclewrench
Advanced

Anybody local to me Autocross and not mind a "tag-a-long"? 25443 zip
Old 04-24-2013, 07:01 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Welcome! I go to Summit Point frequently - they have three separate tracks there and tons of events thru the summer months. I do not think they do any AutoX (I'm not aware of any large blacktop area) but they do host a wide variety of track events from actual road racing with organizations like SCCA, NASA, etc, to High Performance Driving events (SCCA, NASA, TrackDaze, BMW, Porsche, etc., etc.) to Drifting events (drift nirvana) to off road rally events. Pretty much everything except autocross. There are many ways to get 'plugged into the scene' but one way is to sign up for Friday at the Track - its an event run by Summit Point. You can sign up from their website, then show up on the date, you will have an instructor both in classroom and in car - you will get several sessions driving on track, learning the line, etc. Once you go to a couple of events and meet folks you will be amazed at the number of opportunities there are to get on track at Summit and others within 6 hrs of your location (VIR, Watkins Glen, Mid Ohio, Nelson Ledges, BeaverRun, Pocono, etc).

For AutoX specifically (chasing orange cones against the clock) look at the DC region of SCCA - they host a lot of events at FedX field. There are other groups in the area. For example, NationalRoadRally.com hosts AX events at Cumberland airport in western MD.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:03 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Bicyclewrench
Anybody local to me Autocross and not mind a "tag-a-long"? 25443 zip
If you want to tag-along on a track - I will be at Summit point Shenandoah on May 16-17 for an event with TrackDaze.com. I can take you out for rides, have done it many times.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:06 PM
vinniemc
Racer

https://www.motorsportreg.com/
Make an account, find events
Old 04-24-2013, 08:20 PM
Bicyclewrench
Advanced

Originally Posted by argonaut
If you want to tag-along on a track - I will be at Summit point Shenandoah on May 16-17 for an event with TrackDaze.com. I can take you out for rides, have done it many times.
Thank you for the invite! I may take you up on that.

Road racing looks like lots of fun, but I can't bring myself to do it in a car that's not paid for. Especially on a bicycle mechanics salary. Chasing cones is about as crazy as I can afford to get at this point!
Old 04-24-2013, 08:32 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by Bicyclewrench
Road racing looks like lots of fun, but I can't bring myself to do it in a car that's not paid for. Especially on a bicycle mechanics salary. Chasing cones is about as crazy as I can afford to get at this point!
HPDE isn't road racing. In the green group you can go as fast or as slow as you like. Take it at your own pace. You won't believe the progress you'll make in just one weekend with an instructor.

Personally, I'm just not an Auto-X guy. Nothing against it, but I started out at VIR on the full course and can't even imagine dodging cones in a parking lot now. Like you, I have a track virtually in my back yard. I practically live there. When I'm not driving I'm spectating or bumming rides. I recently got to ride in a full-race Porsche GT3. 130 through the Climbing Esses. Woohoo.

Check out outfits like NASA or Track Club USA. They offer "Hyperdives," one-session events with an instructor for a low fee without having to pay for a membership.

Prepare for the addiction.

Last edited by jcsperson; 04-24-2013 at 08:37 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:38 PM
r.hillenbrand
******RETIRED ARMY******
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12

I will be at summit with NASA this weekend driving the main course and on Sat they have a hyperdrive with intro in road race. Will be a lot of Vette's out there. The hyperdrive will have an instructor in the car with you. Go to http://www.nasaproracing.com
for information.

Come on out and watch if nothing else you can get to know some of us and see if it is something you might like. Find all of the Vette guys most are instructors.

I am on the other side of the mountain in VA. Takes me 40 minutes to get to Summit.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:41 PM
r.hillenbrand
******RETIRED ARMY******
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12

BTW make sure to come in June to hyperfest it has everything except auto-x and all types of cars.

Been going to summit for years now and have never seen auto-x there
Old 04-24-2013, 10:20 PM
Hat_Trick_Hokie
Racer

I have driven in an auto-x event at Summit Point before, pretty sure it was on what they call the "Washington Circuit". Not me driving, but here is a video from the event -

Check out The Capital Driving Club for local autocross as well. I ran with them year ago, and had a great experience.
http://capitaldrivingclub.com/

I will also be at the NASA Hyperfest event, so if you come by and want to ride along on Friday or Sunday, find the black C5 and say 'hi'.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:44 PM
Bicyclewrench
Advanced

Originally Posted by Hat_Trick_Hokie
I have driven in an auto-x event at Summit Point before, pretty sure it was on what they call the "Washington Circuit". Not me driving, but here is a video from the event - CDC Summit Point TSP Auto-x May 9th, 2009 - YouTube.

Check out The Capital Driving Club for local autocross as well. I ran with them year ago, and had a great experience.
http://capitaldrivingclub.com/

I will also be at the NASA Hyperfest event, so if you come by and want to ride along on Friday or Sunday, find the black C5 and say 'hi'.
Now yer talkin'

Get notified of new replies

To About to buy a Vette. Now lets go Autocrossing!

Quick Reply: About to buy a Vette. Now lets go Autocrossing!