Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crazy Corvette Crash!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 07:09 PM
rynoracer32
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crazy Corvette Crash!

Slow motion video of a Corvette crash a few years back from NASA race at Hallet Motor Racing Circuit! Everyone was okay, he actually continued racing, Amazing detail from the video.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:36 PM
DooDooBear1999
Pro

No video in the post.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:38 PM
rynoracer32
7th Gear

Sorry about that; this link should work.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:41 PM
DooDooBear1999
Pro

Cool video. Crazy accident. Amazing the car didn't continue onto its side.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:44 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

After a hit like that, they let him back on the track?! At the very least, that alignment must have been compromised. The wall looks soft, but I he lifted all 4.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:44 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

That'll buff right out!
Old 04-23-2013, 07:45 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Anyone know what happened?

It looks like the rear got a little loose, corrected, but put the car way off line, then downhill into the grass and onto the tire wall.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:47 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Looks like he hit a dip on corner exit and went sideways. It also looked like he almost regained control just as he ran out of pavepavement.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:50 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

That driver posted a couple of years ago. He said that he had VERY little damage, and what their was was only cosmetic (ie to the body panels) and that his suspension and chassis suffered NO damage at all! That turn at Hallett is named "The Bitch"! for a very good reason.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:05 PM
johninar
Drifting

Yep a little too hot going into 8 (and off line it appears) and you crest before going down into 9. He never would have made 9.
Heading there Friday... and the Bitch is my favorite turn at Hallett.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:33 AM
greendot
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
That driver posted a couple of years ago. He said that he had VERY little damage, and what their was was only cosmetic (ie to the body panels) and that his suspension and chassis suffered NO damage at all! That turn at Hallett is named "The Bitch"! for a very good reason.
Originally Posted by Falcon
That'll buff right out!
Old 04-24-2013, 04:42 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The driver is a friend of mine. We met the first time either of us had been to a track and have been friends ever since. He's very tough, and got back on track after a few cosmetic repairs the same day. We did realign the car as best we could in the field. He's still racing in time trial in the Texas region. It's an amazing video, and shows you how much energy we're playing with in these cars.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:33 PM
Screamin Z
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by johninar
Yep a little too hot going into 8 (and off line it appears) and you crest before going down into 9. He never would have made 9.
Heading there Friday... and the Bitch is my favorite turn at Hallett.
Ill see you there!
Old 04-24-2013, 11:00 PM
johninar
Drifting

Originally Posted by Screamin Z
Ill see you there!
Yep, I saw the Missouri Mafia was signed up!
Should be a great weekend. A BUNCH of Vettes signed up.

See you there.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:40 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

have fun guys stay safe!
Old 04-25-2013, 06:03 AM
2 GTOs
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11-'12

Originally Posted by yakisoba
The driver is a friend of mine. We met the first time either of us had been to a track and have been friends ever since. He's very tough, and got back on track after a few cosmetic repairs the same day. We did realign the car as best we could in the field. He's still racing in time trial in the Texas region. It's an amazing video, and shows you how much energy we're playing with in these cars.
I would have expected a change of underwear in there as well.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:59 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Ever think about what would have happened to the driver if the car had rolled on that tire wall? The rollbar probably wouldn't have protected him since the tires would have projected right into the cockpit between a collapsed windshield frame and the rollbar. Several hundred pounds twisting and turning while shoving his head down into a pile of tires probably wouldn't have done his neck much good.

Bill
Old 04-25-2013, 09:38 AM
johninar
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Ever think about what would have happened to the driver if the car had rolled on that tire wall? The rollbar probably wouldn't have protected him since the tires would have projected right into the cockpit between a collapsed windshield frame and the rollbar. Several hundred pounds twisting and turning while shoving his head down into a pile of tires probably wouldn't have done his neck much good.

Bill
A vivid picture Bill.

Yes, I ran there for several years with my convertable and just ignored the reality that albeit a remote chance, something could happen. The "it won't happen to me" syndrome.

Then one day a guy racing in GT1 who was parked next to me came over and said "John, as fast as you are going out there you should really have a roof over your head". My first reaction was Wow! someone thinks I'm fast out there.

Well after thinking about what he said, and really examining what I was doing, I sold the Vert and bought the Z. Granted, there is no cage in it yet, but it's better than what I had.

Another thing that has happened with me is I am a bit slower than I was 6-7 years ago. My lap times are 1-2 seconds slower than where I was with the Vert. Now that I've hit 60 I just don't push quite like I did. I still have fun, I still work on my times, but I just don't go 10 Tenths.

And the Missouri Mafia will continue to pass me by.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:31 AM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by johninar
A vivid picture Bill.

Yes, I ran there for several years with my convertable and just ignored the reality that albeit a remote chance, something could happen. The "it won't happen to me" syndrome.

Then one day a guy racing in GT1 who was parked next to me came over and said "John, as fast as you are going out there you should really have a roof over your head". My first reaction was Wow! someone thinks I'm fast out there.

Well after thinking about what he said, and really examining what I was doing, I sold the Vert and bought the Z. Granted, there is no cage in it yet, but it's better than what I had.

Another thing that has happened with me is I am a bit slower than I was 6-7 years ago. My lap times are 1-2 seconds slower than where I was with the Vert. Now that I've hit 60 I just don't push quite like I did. I still have fun, I still work on my times, but I just don't go 10 Tenths.

And the Missouri Mafia will continue to pass me by.
60!!! I can't even remember 60, (Lotsa things I can't remember tho)

Get notified of new replies

To Crazy Corvette Crash!

Quick Reply: Crazy Corvette Crash!