Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moton Clubsports

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 09:23 PM
ltborg
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Moton Clubsports

Does anyone have any experience using Moton's double adjustable setup on a C5? I'm looking for new dampers (for autocross) and I was curious if anyone has tried these out. Currently I am on Koni 3013s and I have been looking at Penskes. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!
Old 04-22-2013, 09:47 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I run Moton doubles on my ST2 C5 and triples on my C6.R.

What in particiular are you looking for?

Mike
Old 04-23-2013, 09:19 AM
TommyBoy72
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm pretty sure when Strelnieks ran SS, he used Penskes if you want to ask him about those. I can't think of anyone I know running MCS, sorry.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:22 AM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I also run Moton CS's. Not sure what info you are looking for in particular. I can say that I did have a set of Penske non adjustable prior to these and its night and day. My car is flat and tight now, made a huge difference to me. there are about 7 adjustments (I believe) and I have mine set somewhere in the middle so theres more adjustment on either side. Adjustment is easy as well. FWIW, I have Hotchkiss Sway bars and LG End links and I use Conti slicks..
Old 04-23-2013, 01:11 PM
ltborg
Drifting

I should have been a little more specific with my interests. I am looking for:

-Anyone with experience (preferably autocross) on the Motons as well as their thoughts on the performance of the dampers.

-Any opinions on how the Motons compare to other high end dampers (Penskes, etc.), again preferably in an autocross setting.

-Any data/info on damping curves of the Clubsports for C5s.

-Any opinions/experiences on the customer service, availability of technical information, and adjustability of the valving of the Clubsports.

Hope that clears things up. I've seen a lot of the BS S2000 cars on Clubsports but I have not seen any of the Vettes (SS/AS) on them so I was hoping someone on here had some experience either on their car or cars they have races with. Thanks for the opinions so far, keep them coming.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:47 AM
ltborg
Drifting

Anyone on the forum used the Motons in autocross?
Old 04-25-2013, 01:55 PM
autoxer6
Racer

Once you get in the Penske - Moton quality range, brand isn't the most important thing. Its the valving that matters. Moton has "standard" valving, in my opinion, they have too much rebound, that makes the car "feel" great and that is why people like them. Penske does not have "standard" valving. The valving is dictated by who you buy the shocks from. So the shock is as good as what they put in. I talked with 3 experienced autocross shock builders before buying shocks. They all has something crazy going on and I used none of what they were offering. Instead, I got as many data benchmarks as possible, read two shock books, revalved the shocks a couple of times and am now in a good place.

Bottom line, your Koni's work well. High $ shocks will give you lots of new opportunities to f-up your handling. I finished 4th at my first nationals on 3013's. It took me 4 years to better that finish on Penske 8300's. Yes, high $ shocks are better IF YOU GET THEM SET UP RIGHT. Unfortunately, I dont know of anyone who offers a decent package for autocross.

Here is a big hint - your 3013's work well, make your new shocks work like those and you will be in a better place with less hysteresis and more low speed sensitivity with a Penske or Moton.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:38 PM
RX7 KLR
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyBoy72
I'm pretty sure when Strelnieks ran SS, he used Penskes if you want to ask him about those. I can't think of anyone I know running MCS, sorry.
Be careful with those abbreviations. A Moton Club Sport and MCS are two different brands: http://www.motioncontrolsuspension.com/

MCS is the new company started by Lex Carson (and partners) who used to run Moton in the states.

I am pretty sure Jr is running MCS on the SSP car.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:41 PM
TommyBoy72
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doh, good call Jason. I do know people running the MCS like Junior, Jadrice, etc. I'll be much more careful.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:42 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Very accurate post. The killer with shocks is that they are expensive and nobody wants to divulge their secret sauce (re valving), so it is nearly impossible to make any kind of informed decision.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:27 PM
RX7 KLR
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ltborg
Does anyone have any experience using Moton's double adjustable setup on a C5? I'm looking for new dampers (for autocross) and I was curious if anyone has tried these out. Currently I am on Koni 3013s and I have been looking at Penskes. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!
I don't have direct experience on what you are looking for, but have used most all of them at one time.

On my AS C4 I used Koni Sports, Pro Parts valved Koni Sports, Penske singles and ARE Penske doubles.

On our RX-8 we used Koni Sports (in BS) and Moton Club Sports (in STX).

Currently using AST singles on our road race car.

The Moton Club Sport was by far the best on fit and finish of any shock I have used. The adjusters are precise, and the range of adjustment is broad. The downside is you can miss the sweet spot because the Moton has such a big change (relative to other brands) from one click to another - Motor Sport Motons have more clicks to cover about the same adjustment range - but for the most part a stock class car is not that sensitive so it should not be a problem. I don't think you can go wrong with a Moton.

The name on the shock seems to be less important than the name of the guy who actually put it together. I think since picking up Moton the AST brand has also gotten even stronger. And while I have no direct experience with MCS, I have no doubt Lex knows what he is doing.

Last edited by RX7 KLR; 04-25-2013 at 04:43 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:40 PM
alextz
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

autoxer6 is right on the money.....dont matter what shock you have, if it is a monotube koni, penske, moton.....its the vavling that is 99.9% of the difference. get that right and you are good.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:49 PM
CorvetteZ51Racer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As an AST/Moton dealer, I can confirm that most of what's been said here is spot on. The valving is critical. However, many people don't know what "valving" really means, and don't know what options are out there.

Having worked with ASTs, Motons, Penskes, Ohlins, Bilstein, Koni, etc, etc, there definitely is something to the phrase "you get what you pay for". ASTs and Motons are pricey. Penskes are pricey. BUT, if you're looking for adjustability, precision, repeatability and reliability, you want to look that direction.

An up-side with Penskes is that they can be readily re-valved, and a number of folks offer that service as been stated previously. However, as has also been previously stated, that means that you have variation is what you might get. That's not to say that you won't get quality results, but your results may differ from someone who got them from another builder.

While AST and (particularly) Moton have gotten their name from road racing (ASTs are the shocks for Grand-Am's Continental Tire series, and Moton is commonly found on Grand-Am GT, World Challenge, etc cars), I know several autocrossers running either AST or Moton. In fact, the shop GM for AST-USA is an accomplished autocrosser and engineer that I raced with in college.

While you can definitely buy "standard" ASTs or Motons, you can also have them custom built, just like you can with Penske. If you are interested in finding out some more details, feel free to email me.

John

Get notified of new replies

To Moton Clubsports

Quick Reply: Moton Clubsports