Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good first outing with new car at NASA NJMP Lightning (TT3)

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 09:49 AM
2MCHPWR
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Good first outing with new car at NASA NJMP Lightning (TT3)

Saturday was a learning experience and I really eased into the car so best was only 1:13.2 on last years 275's. First 2 or 3 sessions had wet track in one section.

Sunday I leaned on her more and got 1:11.9 on last years 275's and then 1:11.0 on sticker 275's (which was good enough for 1st place):

Being first event with this new-to-me car, there were some teething issues:
  • Wilwood front calipers need to be shimmed a little because there was slight contact with the top of the rotor
  • Pfadt poly bushing issue (same as I had with my old car last year) - c clip retaining thingy popped off front upper (rearward one) control arm. Not sure how much that affects anything but I battled with it last season and it got fixed by swapping in a different dog bone thingy.
  • Power steering felt super light when first going on track for warm up lap but only for about 30 seconds. Then it would feel like the normal weight. any ideas on this? New turn 1 pump and pulley and reman'd rack.

For comparison, in my old car (electron blue z street/track car) from last season, my best was 1:12.8. It was only like 50 lbs heavier, same hp, but 40 ft/lbs less torque. and it had m12 tranny where as this new car (to me) has the MN6 tranny.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:52 AM
rigit
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great job. so what was so much faster between this car and the old EBZ? driver or something else? and just wait until you get 315's on there!
Old 04-22-2013, 12:28 PM
2MCHPWR
Drifting

I haven't analized the data yet (I have all the info at home and will check it this week, but I'm guessing maybe 50% is me being more aggressive and maybe 50% due to the better car. The new ride has a few benefits over the old EBZ:
-50 - 70 lbs less
-T1 suspension (except rear sway bar is stock z51) versus EBZ having 2004 shocks and stock springs, T1 front bar (stock rear bar)
-same hp but 40 lbs/ft more torque
-wilwood brakes all around versus stockers on EBZ
-tranny MN6 versus M12 (allowed me to not hit rev limiter in 3rd entering turn 3 [26 seconds into video], and allowed me to grab 2nd exiting turn 7 [55 seconds into video])

One other item I want to add to my list of stuff to research is the shifter. I think it has a c6z shifter but I had trouble hitting 3rd only a few times (turn 7 only) but enough that I think I need an aftermarket shifter. MGW?

link to last years lap in my old EBZ:

Last edited by 2MCHPWR; 04-22-2013 at 12:32 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:57 PM
ParisTNDude
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Love it...reminds me of my time in Europe with my C5 on tracks like Spa, Nurburgring and Hockenheim. Thanks for the post.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:55 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rigit
Great job. so what was so much faster between this car and the old EBZ? driver or something else? and just wait until you get 315's on there!
That will slow him down, probably by a second but maybe only .500.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:57 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Originally Posted by 2MCHPWR

One other item I want to add to my list of stuff to research is the shifter. I think it has a c6z shifter but I had trouble hitting 3rd only a few times (turn 7 only) but enough that I think I need an aftermarket shifter. MGW?
That's weird, maybe that turn is cursed. I was having a hard time with hitting 3rd gear after coming out of 7 also
Old 04-23-2013, 09:43 AM
2MCHPWR
Drifting

Originally Posted by geerookie
I was having a hard time with hitting 3rd gear after coming out of 7 also
which shifter do you use?
I think I need an upgrade but don’t want something very notchy or high effort. suggestions?
Old 04-23-2013, 10:20 AM
geerookie
Drifting

Originally Posted by 2MCHPWR
which shifter do you use?
I think I need an upgrade but don’t want something very notchy or high effort. suggestions?
I use the MGW and think it is a worthwhile upgrade from the stock one but if you don't upgrade the box it's just a fancy adjustable shifter.

I think my root issue is the 3/4 syncro is starting to fail but it might just be the nut behind the wheel being to stupid too find the proper shift gate

Get notified of new replies

To Good first outing with new car at NASA NJMP Lightning (TT3)

Quick Reply: Good first outing with new car at NASA NJMP Lightning (TT3)