Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Distorted Vision with Full Face Visor

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 11:07 PM
Han Solo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Distorted Vision with Full Face Visor

I recently purchased my first full face helmet and the visor causes a distorted view. Is this common with full face shields or just because I bought the inexpensive Zamp helmet?

It isn't that noticeable looking out over a distance but i was wearing it today while blowing off the back patio and it made the concrete look wavy when I looked down. So far I have just run with the visor up since I got it but that kind of defeats part of the reason for having a full face helmet to begin with.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:44 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

That's not normal in my experience.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:12 AM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Definitely not normal............most visors can be replaced, so you should look into possibility of replacing shield with another one. You can research to see if generic replacement shields are available for your helmet, or if shields from a major manufacturer (Bell, Arai, Shoei, etc) will fit.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:31 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

I have 2 Zamp helmets - SA2005 and SA2010.

Both are very nice helmets with absolutely no distortion when looking through the visor. I've had the SA2005 for 7 years now with original visor and it's still perfectly clear.

I just went out to the garage and tried them both - perfectly clear at all viewing angles.

I wear no-line bifocals, and when I looked down at the floor through the bottom of my lenses it was fuzzy because the bottom part of the lens is focused for close up viewing distance. When I looked at an old piece of newspaper it was perfectly clear at reading distance.

I got in the car and looked at the instrument panel and the wall in the garage and moved my head around, and at all angles the and distances the visor doesn't distort at all.

So....I think you may have a defective visor!!

Bob
Old 04-21-2013, 02:33 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Did you take the protective film off the visor??
I've heard lots of "distortrd" vision stories and most of them are because the protective film was still on the visor
Old 04-21-2013, 03:28 PM
NVR2L8
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by jaa1992
Did you take the protective film off the visor??
I've heard lots of "distortrd" vision stories and most of them are because the protective film was still on the visor
I made the same mistake several years ago.

Old 04-21-2013, 04:09 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

I've got a huge helmet story in the May/June Vintage Motorsports magazine. One very important thing you have to keep in mind is that "All of the value priced helmets pass the same certification process as the expensive ones." You'll never know if the expensive helmets provide enhanced safety unless you do your own comprehensive testing."

Barnes and Noble no longer carries the magazine but you can get it for free here.

Richard Newton
Facebook

Last edited by rfn026; 04-21-2013 at 04:10 PM. Reason: url
Old 04-21-2013, 09:11 PM
NASCAR314
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Han Solo
i was wearing it today while blowing off the back patio and it made the concrete look wavy when I looked down.
Wow, you must live in a bad part of the Galaxy to need a full face helmet just to go out on the patio!
Old 04-21-2013, 11:29 PM
Han Solo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NASCAR314
Wow, you must live in a bad part of the Galaxy to need a full face helmet just to go out on the patio!
Actually it was cool yesterday morning and I decided to wear it while I mowed. Turned out to be a great idea for protection from the wind, dust, and low limbs. I got finished mowing and just left it on to do some blowing.

I will check to see if it has a protective coating I missed. If not I will contact Zamp to see what they have to say about it.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:34 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Actually it was cool yesterday morning and I decided to wear it while I mowed. Turned out to be a great idea for protection from the wind, dust, and low limbs. I got finished mowing and just left it on to do some blowing.

I will check to see if it has a protective coating I missed. If not I will contact Zamp to see what they have to say about it.
Have a friend try it on & ck for distortion

I only buy cheap helmets & never had a bad shield.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:58 AM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Put a couple of cell phone antennas on it next time and you will be at home .... Galaxy Traveler
Old 04-22-2013, 01:25 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Were you wearing polarized sunglasses under the shield by chance? A couple of years ago,I made the mistake of wearing my polarized Oakley's under my Simpson amber shield. I came out of the pits at Roebling, started through Turn 1, and almost puked by T2. Major double vision and distortion. Immediately made me feel like I was drunk and I do not get motion sickness very easily.

Get notified of new replies

To Distorted Vision with Full Face Visor

Quick Reply: Distorted Vision with Full Face Visor