Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does any vendor modify stock seats for 5/6pt. harness?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 06:43 AM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Default Does any vendor modify stock seats for 5/6pt. harness?

I am wondering if any of the vendors sell modified stock seats with grommets (and sub belt hole) to make them work with 5/ pt. racing harness? I know about Caravaggio seats, but the price is way above my budget. I would also love to see if a vendor sells these without having to modify my original seats.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:41 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

There are many race seats on the market.

Sparko, OMP Suzuka, Ultra Shield, Kirky to name a few

http://discoveryparts.com/cgi-bin/st...page=Seats.htm

or here

http://www.saferacer.com/auto-racing-seats/racing-seats
Old 04-15-2013, 08:05 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,790 Likes on 1,140 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by Ozer
I am wondering if any of the vendors sell modified stock seats with grommets (and sub belt hole) to make them work with 5/ pt. racing harness?
John will do this for you, if you get him a set of OEM seats. He did a set for my Z06 back in '06, so he has the know-how and tool set for it. Just call him up and ask him.

jas
Old 04-15-2013, 08:27 AM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
There are many race seats on the market.

Sparko, OMP Suzuka, Ultra Shield, Kirky to name a few

http://discoveryparts.com/cgi-bin/st...page=Seats.htm

or here

http://www.saferacer.com/auto-racing-seats/racing-seats
Thanks for the response. I know about these brands, but I was actually wondering about getting stock seats modified :-)
Old 04-15-2013, 08:27 AM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jvp
John will do this for you, if you get him a set of OEM seats. He did a set for my Z06 back in '06, so he has the know-how and tool set for it. Just call him up and ask him.

jas
Who is John?
Old 04-15-2013, 08:49 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Actually you should only have to send him the bottom of the seat. That should save on shipping.

Richard Newton
Old 04-15-2013, 08:50 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,790 Likes on 1,140 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by Ozer
Who is John?
Caravaggio.

jas
Old 04-15-2013, 10:31 AM
mesospeedy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to hijack, but I've seen a few people modify the stock seats with good results. However, I was under the impression that modified seats were not legal for most track use. I would like to do this to my stock seats because it's simpler than having to deal with the issues that occur on a C6 when changing out seats/rails, but I don't want to go to thw troublw if NASA, SCCA, etc won't allow it.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:49 AM
hungryhippo
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

marrad (arizen) has a nice modified stock seat at $1000 a piece.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:06 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by mesospeedy
Not to hijack, but I've seen a few people modify the stock seats with good results. However, I was under the impression that modified seats were not legal for most track use. I would like to do this to my stock seats because it's simpler than having to deal with the issues that occur on a C6 when changing out seats/rails, but I don't want to go to thw troublw if NASA, SCCA, etc won't allow it.
That is correct most rules state no modified stock seats.
That said the C5 corvette seats have the cutouts except sub belts
even the Z06 is just upholstered over the back cut outs.
if you use the Brae-Krause anchors and a six point harness there is no need to cut the bottom and less chance of messing with the family jewels
Old 04-15-2013, 11:15 AM
boltvette
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Are you sure you want to go to a harness? If you do, you should be investing in a good HANS device as well.

I run 1-12 HPDE/track days per year with my DD and use Angel Pads. I still have some upper body movement, the APs lock my hips in place. No bracing through corners with my knees. And a lot less expensive than a harness, HANS, harness bar and anchors, much less a seat.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:23 PM
1BDRSK
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by boltvette
Are you sure you want to go to a harness? If you do, you should be investing in a good HANS device as well.

I run 1-12 HPDE/track days per year with my DD and use Angel Pads. I still have some upper body movement, the APs lock my hips in place. No bracing through corners with my knees. And a lot less expensive than a harness, HANS, harness bar and anchors, much less a seat.
What are Angel Pads?
Old 04-15-2013, 12:39 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Most organizations will not allow modified stock seats for racing. For HPDE use modified seats are usually OK if properly done. I took my stock Z06 seats to a local upholstry shop and they modified the backs to allow a pass through for the shoulder harnesses. Used matching material and only charged $150.00. Cutout was at proper height for harnesses based on my height and the roll bar in the car. I used a 6 point system so the crotch belt could be threaded between the seat bottom and back, not having to cut the seat bottom. I now use a Kirkey seat - not that expensive and MUCH better for track use. YOU WILL NEED TO USE A HANS DEVICE WITH HARNESSES !!
Old 04-15-2013, 12:43 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

Angel pads are these:

http://angelwingstech.com/angel-pads

Bob
Old 04-15-2013, 01:05 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
...YOU WILL NEED TO USE A HANS DEVICE WITH HARNESSES !!
And, although usually not required by any organizers of track day events, many will recommend that a rollbar or cage should be installed if you've got a harness that will keep you upright in the seat.

BTW, I was reall happy to see that the C7 seats have harness pass-through holes.

Butt.....take a look at this video - scroll out to about 9:15 to see the holes in relation to Jay's shoulders:

You can see that the angle the harness would take going through those holes and up over your shoulders is not a safe and acceptable routing. Take a look at this Schroth site with harness mounting instructions:

http://www.schrothracing.com/sdocs/2...structions.pdf

Simpson and other harness manufacturers have similar installation instructions that require the harness to go over your shoulders at a shallow angle.

Just FYI!!

Bob
Old 04-15-2013, 02:06 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

If the tilt mechanism fails in an impact while strapped down with a harness bad things can happen. Not to mention, a properly fastened harness is pulled very tight and that alone can over stress the tilt feature. IMO, if you want to use a harness do so with a seat built for it.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:44 PM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by boltvette

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
Most organizations will not allow modified stock seats for racing. For HPDE use modified seats are usually OK if properly done. I took my stock Z06 seats to a local upholstry shop and they modified the backs to allow a pass through for the shoulder harnesses. Used matching material and only charged $150.00. Cutout was at proper height for harnesses based on my height and the roll bar in the car. I used a 6 point system so the crotch belt could be threaded between the seat bottom and back, not having to cut the seat bottom. I now use a Kirkey seat - not that expensive and MUCH better for track use. YOU WILL NEED TO USE A HANS DEVICE WITH HARNESSES !!
I already have a HANS device, so no problem there. That said, I will not use a helmet + HANS device in daily driving, so the stock seat belts need to work fine as well. I almost pulled the trigger on a set of Corbeau FX1 Pros, but now I am wondering how they will do with the stock seat belts. In another thread, another member stated the seat belts were just fine and were on him at just the right angle even with the fixed back FX1 Pros, so I have some hope...

Originally Posted by trackboss
If the tilt mechanism fails in an impact while strapped down with a harness bad things can happen. Not to mention, a properly fastened harness is pulled very tight and that alone can over stress the tilt feature. IMO, if you want to use a harness do so with a seat built for it.
Very true. I wonder if seats like A4s would be safe enough yet also be good enough to be used with stock seat belts. The stock seat's reclining mechanism feel very fragile.

Get notified of new replies

To Does any vendor modify stock seats for 5/6pt. harness?

Old 04-15-2013, 07:27 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06
And, although usually not required by any organizers of track day events, many will recommend that a rollbar or cage should be installed if you've got a harness that will keep you upright in the seat.

BTW, I was reall happy to see that the C7 seats have harness pass-through holes.

Butt.....take a look at this video - scroll out to about 9:15 to see the holes in relation to Jay's shoulders:

You can see that the angle the harness would take going through those holes and up over your shoulders is not a safe and acceptable routing. Take a look at this Schroth site with harness mounting instructions:

http://www.schrothracing.com/sdocs/2...structions.pdf

Simpson and other harness manufacturers have similar installation instructions that require the harness to go over your shoulders at a shallow angle.

Just FYI!!

Bob
Bob, that is a revealing video. It looks like somebody buying a C7 should go for the standard seats since they will have to pull the so called competition seats anyways.

Bill
Old 04-16-2013, 03:51 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I always wondered what corbeau recommends. Those seats still have tilt, which is desireable for a street car yet they also have the holes which suggest they can be used with harnesses. I would think it would be a huge liability to sell a seat as such and not be tested as safe to use with a harness.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:42 AM
geerookie
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by trackboss
I always wondered what corbeau recommends. Those seats still have tilt, which is desireable for a street car yet they also have the holes which suggest they can be used with harnesses. I would think it would be a huge liability to sell a seat as such and not be tested as safe to use with a harness.
If it's not FIA or SFI rated then it doesn't count as a race seat and most track organizations now require race seats with harnesses.
Stock seat, modified or not, stock belts. 5, 6, or 7 point harness then race seat.

Quick Reply: Does any vendor modify stock seats for 5/6pt. harness?