Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PFC pads squeaking - but only at high temps

Old 04-13-2013, 09:35 PM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 78 Posts

Default PFC pads squeaking - but only at high temps

I've had the PFC Z-rated street pads for a couple months now. They're quiet at normal operating street temps, but they'll squeak when I start to really get some heat into them. It's more of a dull, subdued squeak, rather than a sharp, piercing squeak.

I'm slightly confused because I'm accustomed to pads that behave in the opposite manner to these, i.e. noisy when cold but quiet when hot. Should I ease up when they start making noise, or is it safe to power through? I doubt I'm cooking the pads, since that wasn't a problem for me with the oem C5Z pads that these replaced.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:28 PM
skxf430
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by skyavonee
I've had the PFC Z-rated street pads for a couple months now. They're quiet at normal operating street temps, but they'll squeak when I start to really get some heat into them. It's more of a dull, subdued squeak, rather than a sharp, piercing squeak.

I'm slightly confused because I'm accustomed to pads that behave in the opposite manner to these, i.e. noisy when cold but quiet when hot. Should I ease up when they start making noise, or is it safe to power through? I doubt I'm cooking the pads, since that wasn't a problem for me with the oem C5Z pads that these replaced.

Try bedding in the pads as it might help a bit. Here is a link how to bed them in.

http://zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm
Old 04-14-2013, 12:11 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Normal for metallic pads.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:43 AM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by skxf430
Try bedding in the pads as it might help a bit.
Already did it once when I first installed them, but I can try it again when I have the time.

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
Normal for metallic pads.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:30 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I have used pfc quite a bit and found thier race pads to be pretty street friendly in terms of providing good stopping power when cold and being relatively quiet. Rotor friendly as well. I'd say don't worry about it.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:40 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Consider yourself lucky! I didn't think you could GET PFC-Z rated pads any more. Where did you get them? I ran them 15 years ago, but now I run Stoptech Street Performance pads for both the street (excellent cold bite) and light track duty (MSR Cresson, not Road america), they are good for 1300 degrees F.
Old 04-15-2013, 03:12 PM
skyavonee
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
Consider yourself lucky! I didn't think you could GET PFC-Z rated pads any more. Where did you get them? I ran them 15 years ago, but now I run Stoptech Street Performance pads for both the street (excellent cold bite) and light track duty (MSR Cresson, not Road america), they are good for 1300 degrees F.
It took some searching, but I eventually found them at Rotorsandpads.com. They were still available last year - P/N 0731.10 and 0732.10

How do the PFC-Z compare with the StopTech Street?
Old 04-16-2013, 12:05 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

It took some searching, but I eventually found them at Rotorsandpads.com. They were still available last year - P/N 0731.10 and 0732.10

How do the PFC-Z compare with the StopTech Street?
The Stoptech Street Performance pads are 15 years newer technology!
Old 04-16-2013, 04:11 PM
bags142
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

You can get the PFC Z's from o'riley or autozone.. just gotta special order them
Old 04-16-2013, 04:12 PM
bags142
Pro

The Stoptech Street Performance pads are 15 years newer technology!
Ok, so does that make them better cause they are newer? Or are they actually better?
Old 04-16-2013, 05:03 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by bags142
Ok, so does that make them better cause they are newer? Or are they actually better?
To ME the Stoptechs work better. The PFC-Z pads were a good street pad however, they were never intended for racetrack usage. I'm sorry I don't know what the max temperature was for the Z rated, but I don't believe it is 1300 degrees F. and my Stoptech Street performance pads do work very well at the temperature, as well as at normal (cold) street ambient temperatures.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:45 AM
bags142
Pro

To ME the Stoptechs work better. The PFC-Z pads were a good street pad however, they were never intended for racetrack usage. I'm sorry I don't know what the max temperature was for the Z rated, but I don't believe it is 1300 degrees F. and my Stoptech Street performance pads do work very well at the temperature, as well as at normal (cold) street ambient temperatures.
Ok. I like the Z's for street use, but I have limited use on street pads. But, I find them very good. Track use, it took a few hpde's, but I went to the 99 compound.

Thanks for the info, I may look at trying the stoptech's after these wear out

Get notified of new replies

To PFC pads squeaking - but only at high temps

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PFC pads squeaking - but only at high temps