Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me customize my trailer for road racing

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 07:10 PM
87bob
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Help me customize my trailer for road racing

I have recently purchased a 26 ft enclosed trailer. It has a left hand door for loading, a right hand man door as well as the tail gate. I would like to see pictures of how you built yours. What you decided to include and how. Some ideas I'd like to incorporate in mine are a 120v feed to run lights, 12v/120v fridge, compressor and possible a roof top AC. A work bench with vise, tool box, Racks for race tires, oil, fuel, tiedowns ect. winch and a 12v battery. What have I missed? Thanks in advance for your pictures.
Old 04-12-2013, 01:53 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

All your ideas are great. I don't have any photos to share of mine unfortunately. First item on any trailer upgrade list should be a solidly mounted winch and battery.
As an alternative to carrying around a compressor you can just buy a bottle of compressed nitrogen at your local welding supply. Takes up less space.
I lined all my trailer walls with 1/2 plywood and used steel threaded inserts to mount them to the aluminum studs so they are ultra strong. Also, instead of simply using fasteners I used tie down rings which required two bolts per location. The advantage is that my entire trailer has hooks around all the walls where there are no cabinets which is pretty convenient.
I mounted a few aluminum cabinets as well as a foldup tire rack. I can't seem to remember the brand and a quick search comes up with nothing I recognize(maybe out of business), but they were very affordable and good quality.
As mentioned above, I used steel threaded inserts in the wall studs for everything and added tee nuts to the back of the plywood to further support the cabinets. The walls will cave in before anything attached to them comes loose. No self tapping or sheetmetal type screws. It took forever to mount probably a couple hundred threaded inserts but it was a one time deal.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:32 AM
jstout
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Chattanooga Area Events Coordinator

Another alternative to compressor, or air tank, or nitrogen is the Sears 19.2 volt battery powered inflator. It will pump up a flat hoosier in about 3 to 4 minutes tops. It is so easy to carry, and all you have to do is make sure the battery is charged. I recommend a spare charged battery. When you have that and the same battery driven 1/2 inch torque gun (like a drill driver only heavier), you can handle a lot of wheel tire issues. Jerry

The nitrogen is a good idea however, because your tires won't heat up as much. Jerry
Old 04-12-2013, 09:07 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

As you think about things to go into or on the trailer, keep a list of the weights of everything. All that stuff is more weight to haul around. Depending on where the car sits and where you put everything, it can change the tongue weight which also changes the weight on the truck.

This website has some really nice car trailer accessories.

Here's another website for lighting products.

If you don't have tie down straps as yet, look here
Old 04-12-2013, 05:46 PM
87bob
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Hey guys.......

Thanks for all the great suggestions!
Old 04-12-2013, 06:39 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Moduline cabinets are really nice, made out of aluminum and cost about 1/2 what Lista want for the same thing.

I put them in my old trailer, but can't find any pictures. I have them in the shop as well...

Old 04-12-2013, 07:02 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Is that your shop in those pictures?
Old 04-12-2013, 07:13 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

holy bananas that is sexy
Old 04-12-2013, 08:59 PM
johninar
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That garage is Just Damn. Adopt me!
Old 04-13-2013, 01:28 AM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Falcon
Is that your shop in those pictures?
Yes...my garage at home. Took me a few months of work to finish it, but worth the time and money invested.

With a few toys in it...

Old 04-13-2013, 10:07 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Wow! Very nice! Tastefully done.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:43 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Just WOW! But where is the bar and the big screen TV's??
Old 04-13-2013, 10:54 AM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
Just WOW! But where is the bar and the big screen TV's??

... through the door on the right is the bar...with up to 3 beers on tap.

It's interesting to see new guys from the Corvette Club walk in with wives for the first time...he says "Wow"...she says "Don't even think about it!"

I'm sure I've been the subject of domestic bliss on many drives back to town...

Last edited by 1991Z07; 04-13-2013 at 10:58 AM.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:01 PM
Rob31
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The guy has a killer garage ...and filled it full of C4s

Last edited by Rob31; 04-14-2013 at 06:10 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:15 PM
VatorMan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06-'10-'11, '15

I was going to post some pics of my trailer- but DAMN.... I'd give both my nuts for that garage. That is man cave 101 right there.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:04 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 87bob
I have recently purchased a 26 ft enclosed trailer. It has a left hand door for loading, a right hand man door as well as the tail gate. I would like to see pictures of how you built yours. What you decided to include and how. Some ideas I'd like to incorporate in mine are a 120v feed to run lights, 12v/120v fridge, compressor and possible a roof top AC. A work bench with vise, tool box, Racks for race tires, oil, fuel, tiedowns ect. winch and a 12v battery. What have I missed? Thanks in advance for your pictures.
The left hand door is called the curb side door, and the one on the other side the driver access door; that door is why you don't need a winch...unless your car is broke and then you need a winch (or 3-4 buddies).

You haven't missed much but forget the vise...I got one about 3 years ago...it's still in the box. a lot of weight for the trailer.

speaking of weight, like stated above, you need to be aware of what you put in and WHERE you put it.

With the length you probably have a big truck to pull it, so you just want to make sure you are not going past the weight specs.

You probably already have D rated tires, if not upgrade to them and keep two spares, and make sure you are ALWAYS at the correct tire pressures. trailer tire fail a lot...low tire pressure is bad.

Also, on the drivers access door...you may have to install several 2x12's to get the drivers door to clear the door. I've seen tons of trailers for track guys to racers and they all have this.

make sure you add the trailer to your insurance policy...it's pretty cheap.

My policy is take what you will need, but don't take everything you think you will possibly need.

The obvious things you have left out are: the HDTV 37"-40" is acceptable, the cappuccino machine, and live satellite radar weather feed.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:31 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary2KC5
The left hand door is called the curb side door, and the one on the other side the driver access door; that door is why you don't need a winch...unless your car is broke and then you need a winch (or 3-4 buddies).

You haven't missed much but forget the vise...I got one about 3 years ago...it's still in the box. a lot of weight for the trailer.

speaking of weight, like stated above, you need to be aware of what you put in and WHERE you put it.

With the length you probably have a big truck to pull it, so you just want to make sure you are not going past the weight specs.

You probably already have D rated tires, if not upgrade to them and keep two spares, and make sure you are ALWAYS at the correct tire pressures. trailer tire fail a lot...low tire pressure is bad.

Also, on the drivers access door...you may have to install several 2x12's to get the drivers door to clear the door. I've seen tons of trailers for track guys to racers and they all have this.

make sure you add the trailer to your insurance policy...it's pretty cheap.

My policy is take what you will need, but don't take everything you think you will possibly need.

The obvious things you have left out are: the HDTV 37"-40" is acceptable, the cappuccino machine, and live satellite radar weather feed.
WTF good is a TV if you don't have a fridge full of beer to go with it?
Old 04-14-2013, 05:55 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Rob31
The guy has a killer garage ...and filled full of C4s
Originally Posted by VatorMan
I was going to post some pics of my trailer- but DAMN.... I'd give both my nuts for that garage. That is man cave 101 right there.
My 26' enclosed trailer looked just the same...same cabinets, same black/white checkerboard floor.

As someone who suffered through the Texas heat with that trailer...I HIGHLY recommend getting a rooftop A/C unit and a small generator to run it. Nothing like getting out of the heat between runs. I have the bus to get in now...but when I first started I was pulling with the Suburban and it got old cooling off inside the truck.

I know a few people who put fold-down cots on the walls and slept in their trailers at events...saving on hotel rooms. They took camp showers (5 gallon jug with a shower head attached)...I'm not too sure about that one, but you CAN do it.

The nice thing about the aluminum cabinets is they are pretty light...and getting a bunch of overheads you can put them to the roof along the sides and balance the weight better. You'll still want a few floor cabinets up front...but all in all you can really fix a trailer up nice with a little money.

Get notified of new replies

To Help me customize my trailer for road racing

Quick Reply: Help me customize my trailer for road racing